The Student Room Group

Scared to drive, someone help??

I have had my car for around a year now, while I've been taking driving lessons, but only sat in it around 5 times. My dad put so much money into the MOT and stuff but I've recently found that the way I have been driving is lessons cannot be done in my car? I was taught to move off on the bite alone, and my car just stalls. I now have this horrible fear of being on my car because I'm incapable of moving off- not of the actual driving. I'm worried that I'll be too scared to stop in a situation and cause a crash or something. My dad now wants to sell my car because he's fed up of me not using it. Anyone have advice on what I can do? I need to try to drive it, but I just sit there and have a panic attack without actually moving anywhere.
yeah same here i dont want to learn to do drive cuz i am scared but you know its because its first time you get used to maybe drive the car in a empty space where there is no one that might help
just go to an empty car park on a sunday and practice, all cars feel different to drive and will take time to adjust to, especially for new drivers
I had the same problem as you did, I would say take your dad (or any experienced driver) with you to an empty parking lot and just practise driving around the parking bays without stalling. My car also stalls at bite alone, just add a little bit of gas keeping the clutch at bite then slowly release the clutch and it shouldn't stall!

Just go out as much as you can, practising stopping and starting. Then when you're comfortable start driving around to more busier places
Reply 4
You need to take more driving lessons.

I would suggest taking as much lessons as you can to get used to it.
Reply 6
Original post by jjinchi
I have had my car for around a year now, while I've been taking driving lessons, but only sat in it around 5 times. My dad put so much money into the MOT and stuff but I've recently found that the way I have been driving is lessons cannot be done in my car? I was taught to move off on the bite alone, and my car just stalls. I now have this horrible fear of being on my car because I'm incapable of moving off- not of the actual driving. I'm worried that I'll be too scared to stop in a situation and cause a crash or something. My dad now wants to sell my car because he's fed up of me not using it. Anyone have advice on what I can do? I need to try to drive it, but I just sit there and have a panic attack without actually moving anywhere.

Ask him to go out with you on main roads. The only way to get over it is practice so you no longer have the fear. I had this problem for months, one day it will click and you will be fine.
I’m going to take a wild guess that your car is petrol, and your instructors car is diesel? Petrol engines need some gas before finding the biting point. Diesel engines have fuel being injected through all the time, so have more revs to enable biting point only starts.

Just give it some gas first - then find the biting point and off you go. Just a case of getting used to it.
If you are struggling with stalling make sure you hold the clutch near the beginning of the biting point until the car is doing about 3 miles an hour, or until you get up to walking pace rather than bringing it quickly through the biting point. This will prevent stalling. Also as Suzysues says give it a bit of gas before you bring the clutch up (enough to get the revs to about 1500). As you get a better feel for the car you will find it easier to carry out this sequence.
Reply 9
I had the same problem so you’re not alone! It was hard to find the biting in my dad’s car as there was no indication, so I would stall at least 6 times when moving off after traffic lights, and after completing my manoeuvres. Made me a nervous wreck & I didn’t want to drive the car with my dad after each session ended. I practiced a lot in quieter roads, and reinforced this ‘I will master this’ mantra in my head which worked. You can do it!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending