The Student Room Group

Handing a Notice After Being Given a Shift

Hi,

I have recently found myself a new job as my current job has not been providing enough shifts, however just before I was going to hand in my notice, I was given a shift to work on which clashes with my new job.

What is the best thing to do?

Thanks!
Original post by FreddoFoo
Hi,

I have recently found myself a new job as my current job has not been providing enough shifts, however just before I was going to hand in my notice, I was given a shift to work on which clashes with my new job.

What is the best thing to do?

Thanks!

What's the notice period on your current job? if the shift is within the notice period, you should work it. If it is outside your notice period or you can take leave, you should reject it and work the new job.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What's the notice period on your current job? if the shift is within the notice period, you should work it. If it is outside your notice period or you can take leave, you should reject it and work the new job.

Well the problem is that I don't have a contract, so I don't think I actually have a notice period...
Original post by FreddoFoo
Well the problem is that I don't have a contract, so I don't think I actually have a notice period...

In the absences of a written contract, you have an implicit contract that follows the working patterns you have mutually established. Your notice period is the period over which you are paid, ie paid weekly, it's a week, paid monthly, it's a month.
You could go by a statutory notice period which is generally one week if you've been with the company for less than 2 years. If the shift falls within the notice period then the decent thing to do would be to work it, but if you're not bothered about annoying anyone or a reference then take the shift at the new job.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ask your current employer, there is always a chance you can make a mutual agreement that is advisable to you both.
Original post by threeportdrift
In the absences of a written contract, you have an implicit contract that follows the working patterns you have mutually established. Your notice period is the period over which you are paid, ie paid weekly, it's a week, paid monthly, it's a month.

Really? I was under the impression employers were required to provide a contract, otherwise, well, there isn't one?

If it's contractless shift work you don't exactly have much in the way of loyalty, should have ideally quit the current job when you got the new one but best just to rip the band aid off and say you've moved on.
Original post by StriderHort
Really? I was under the impression employers were required to provide a contract, otherwise, well, there isn't one?

Nope, there's no legal requirement to have a written contract, it's just much, much easier to have one. In the absence of a written contract, any verbal agreement, any allied documents like a staff handbook, and then any evidence of accepted patterns of behaviour ie continually turning up 9-5 Monday to Friday and everyone accepting that, would then be taken to have the same effect as a contract in the event of later issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending