The Student Room Group

Should I go on holidays with my friends? (They can cause trouble)

Ok so long story short, myself and 7 other guys are planning to go away for a weekend.Flights were cheap and accommodation was cheaper, so we're going to Newcastle, I heard it's a party spot but it's also somewhat rough.I decided last minute along with another friend, so we both don't have a bed, we'll either end up on couches or buying blow up beds.But the guys want us to pay the full amount, same as them so they get a reduced cost, but we could end up having to pay out the same again on blow up beds and blankets etc..So that's one small part.But the main thing is some of the guys can't handle their drink, they become annoying to be around, starting fights within the group and with random people and generally being a handful.
I don't fancy minding them for the weekend.They're decent guys but I can count a number of times they've basically ruined the night.1 guy thinks he's Conor Mcgregor when he's drunk and he just turns into a cocky ass.The other gets really angry with the first guy, partly because the first guy keeps antagonising them.At the same time I'm not doing anything for the summer and it could be fun, it's either that or sit around for the summer.So I don't know, so far I've booked flights but that money is money left over after selling concert tickets, so I'm not out of pocket (€50 or so), so.. If I don't go I'd lose €50 worth of a flight, and if I go it'll probably be €400-500 in total, mainly spent on alcohol..What do you think?I've just bought a car so I was thinking of getting alloys for it, but I'm also tempted to buy a nice first watch...Or go on a lads holiday, any ideas?
Have you spoke to them about how you normally babysitting them? I would suggest either talking to them and if that seems pointless you have two choices: Go on this hol with them but force yourself not to mind them, you get drunk and have a smashing time. If they start a fight with someone, **** em. You ain't their dad. Get drunk before them so you won't even notice them! Or don't go. Save your money. If you seriously can't have fun together, whats the point?
Reply 2
Original post by UncertainCertain
Have you spoke to them about how you normally babysitting them? I would suggest either talking to them and if that seems pointless you have two choices: Go on this hol with them but force yourself not to mind them, you get drunk and have a smashing time. If they start a fight with someone, **** em. You ain't their dad. Get drunk before them so you won't even notice them! Or don't go. Save your money. If you seriously can't have fun together, whats the point?

It's always brought up and not just by me, some of the other guys say the same thing '.... you're a mess' and they get annoyed, but it always ends in some joke about being 'tormented by the drink' or just generally laughing it off.

I'm tempted to go solely because I feel like I'm just sitting around for the summer otherwise.
But nevermind the going out side of things, I don't know what we'll be doing when we're not drinking during the day..
Or if it'll all be football related which doesn't interest me.

I'm tempted to buy a watch instead, I've been gawking after a Rolex or something similar for years and between selling a guitar and saving money I have enough for something entry level..

But again, I might just be wasting my summer away, or I might very well regret going on the only lads holiday we're having.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so long story short, myself and 7 other guys are planning to go away for a weekend.Flights were cheap and accommodation was cheaper, so we're going to Newcastle, I heard it's a party spot but it's also somewhat rough.I decided last minute along with another friend, so we both don't have a bed, we'll either end up on couches or buying blow up beds.But the guys want us to pay the full amount, same as them so they get a reduced cost, but we could end up having to pay out the same again on blow up beds and blankets etc..So that's one small part.But the main thing is some of the guys can't handle their drink, they become annoying to be around, starting fights within the group and with random people and generally being a handful.
I don't fancy minding them for the weekend.They're decent guys but I can count a number of times they've basically ruined the night.1 guy thinks he's Conor Mcgregor when he's drunk and he just turns into a cocky ass.The other gets really angry with the first guy, partly because the first guy keeps antagonising them.At the same time I'm not doing anything for the summer and it could be fun, it's either that or sit around for the summer.So I don't know, so far I've booked flights but that money is money left over after selling concert tickets, so I'm not out of pocket (€50 or so), so.. If I don't go I'd lose €50 worth of a flight, and if I go it'll probably be €400-500 in total, mainly spent on alcohol..What do you think?I've just bought a car so I was thinking of getting alloys for it, but I'm also tempted to buy a nice first watch...Or go on a lads holiday, any ideas?

Where are you from ?

Also if you need any deals for the clubs for your night out I can sort that (I work for some of them)

Newcastle is a brilliant city and there’s always something to do
There will be other lad holidays in the future

And you can always get a summer job, volunteer or work on something you've been putting off

Question is: If they still go and you don't, will you regret it?
Is there no way to slyly rent another room for yourself? 'Nah I can't be having this blow up bed crap' so you can go have fun with them but if things are looking a bit leery or dangerous you can nip to your own space and not be jammed in with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending