The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

I don't have an A in GCSE maths and want to study economics at university

I have noticed that Surrey require a GCSE A grade in maths and I got a B.
Despite this, I study chemistry A level which I believe has more complicated maths than GCSE maths.

Will applying be pointless because of my GCSE grade or does chemistry A level make up for it?
No one cares about GCSEs unless you're looking at oxbridge. An A level maths grade is what they'll look for.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by dan707
Despite this, I study chemistry A level which I believe has more complicated maths than GCSE maths.

Will applying be pointless because of my GCSE grade or does chemistry A level make up for it?

Without the required maths GCSE grade you risk being rejected straight away. Your best bet is to contact Surrey to ask whether A-level chemistry would negate that weakness.
Hi dan707, i have just finished first year Economics at surrey university. Having also done chemistry at A level i can tell you that the maths involved will be of very little benefit in an Econ degree.I'm sure Surrey would look past this as long as you meet AAB however, you must consider whether your maths is in fact strong enough to do well as the degree is essentially all maths in first year.If your work ethic is strong and persistent you will be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by optimus9000
Hi dan707, i have just finished first year Economics at surrey university. Having also done chemistry at A level i can tell you that the maths involved will be of very little benefit in an Econ degree.I'm sure Surrey would look past this as long as you meet AAB however, you must consider whether your maths is in fact strong enough to do well as the degree is essentially all maths in first year.If your work ethic is strong and persistent you will be fine.

Thanks for the help.
Original post by dan707

Hi @dan707,

I would strongly advise calling our Admissions team to see whether they will accept a B at GCSE maths before applying in the autumn. If they will, then that's great news and you should apply! If they won't, there's no point in using up one of your 5 choices if you're just going to be rejected based on a pre-existing grade. The number for the Admissions team is +44(0)1483682222 :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending