The Student Room Group

Ideas for a uni student to do over the summer

Got my results, just missed out on a 2:1 in my first year by 1% :frown: anyone have any ideas of what to do over the summer?
Original post by Taurus5
Got my results, just missed out on a 2:1 in my first year by 1% :frown: anyone have any ideas of what to do over the summer?

Unless you are well off, then besides scoialising and travel you can eother prep for year or more likely get a job to earn money and pay off any overdraft.
Original post by Taurus5

Don't worry. 1st year doesn't count. I got 40s and low-mid 50s in my 1st year. Throughout the years, I steadily improved into mid-high 60s and graduated with an Upper 2:1. So don't worry about that.

Just relax now. Perhaps look for a part-time job? Catch up on some TV series; see friends from uni and home? Even pick up a book, if you enjoy reading.

Get back the time you lost during 1st year by doing the stuff you used to do when you had time!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Don't worry. 1st year doesn't count. I got 40s and low-mid 50s in my 1st year. Throughout the years, I steadily improved into mid-high 60s and graduated with an Upper 2:1. So don't worry about that.

Just relax now. Perhaps look for a part-time job? Catch up on some TV series; see friends from uni and home? Even pick up a book, if you enjoy reading.

Get back the time you lost during 1st year by doing the stuff you used to do when you had time!

Thank you, I was a bit concerned, for the year in industry which I'm hoping to do, they say I need at least a 2.1 in both my first and second years, I don't know if I'll be allowed to do that :/ but of course graduating with a 2.1 is the main goal.

I've got an interview on friday :smile: could read some, I've ordered a few video-games :smile:

Thank you, I will :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Taurus5
Thank you, I was a bit concerned, for the year in industry which I'm hoping to do, they say I need at least a 2.1 in both my first and second years, I don't know if I'll be allowed to do that :/ but of course graduating with a 2.1 is the main goal.

I've got an interview on friday :smile: could read some, I've ordered a few video-games :smile:

Thank you, I will :biggrin:

Oh I see. That information would of been useful at the start lol.

If that is part of the requirement and you don't meet it, I would suggest you get some good stuff on your CV. Join a society and make a contribution to it, perhaps become a student rep for your course? Volunteer over the summer?

There's other things you can do to improve your CV. Don't just rely on your grades. Even if you got a 2:1 in 1st and 2nd year, you'd ideally want something else on your CV to make you stand out from the crowd.

Good luck with your interview on Friday... I'm jealous - I could so do with a job, despite already applying for loads!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Oh I see. That information would of been useful at the start lol.

If that is part of the requirement and you don't meet it, I would suggest you get some good stuff on your CV. Join a society and make a contribution to it, perhaps become a student rep for your course? Volunteer over the summer?

There's other things you can do to improve your CV. Don't just rely on your grades. Even if you got a 2:1 in 1st and 2nd year, you'd ideally want something else on your CV to make you stand out from the crowd.

Good luck with your interview on Friday... I'm jealous - I could so do with a job, despite already applying for loads!

I'm sorry, I've talked to the course rep and he's said that we only need "aiming for a 2.1" so doesn't matter that I just missed out. But personally like... I do have anxiety and perfectionism... which makes me hate not getting the 2.1 :frown: I just hope the next year will go better, I'm just really worrying about everything at the moment. I have thought about getting help to deal with my anxiety... at uni it's okay because I have boxing which helps me mentally and keeps me happy and from worrying. But at home... I have nothing that helps me in that way.

Thank you, I am nervous about the job and the interview, and how it would go if I would get it. I think it's my anxiety..
Reply 6
Original post by Taurus5

Use this holiday to relax and enjoy yourself. You should also start to think about what you want to do after graduating (especially since there are far more opportunities such as internships available for second year students, so its best to research them in order to apply during October-Feb period).
Original post by Taurus5
I'm sorry, I've talked to the course rep and he's said that we only need "aiming for a 2.1" so doesn't matter that I just missed out. But personally like... I do have anxiety and perfectionism... which makes me hate not getting the 2.1 :frown: I just hope the next year will go better, I'm just really worrying about everything at the moment. I have thought about getting help to deal with my anxiety... at uni it's okay because I have boxing which helps me mentally and keeps me happy and from worrying. But at home... I have nothing that helps me in that way.

Thank you, I am nervous about the job and the interview, and how it would go if I would get it. I think it's my anxiety..

I get what you're saying about that perfection of getting a 2:1. I cannot talk personally of anxiety, but it might be good to register with a temp GP at home and speak to them to advise you on the next step to manage your anxiety with professional help. :smile:

It's OK to be nervous for a job interview - everyone gets nervous, it's a completely natural thing to experience. Just make sure you prepare beforehand. This will make you more confident and your anxiety would be more relaxed, so to speak.

Try not to think about the after - think about the now. What can you do now to improve your chances on getting that job? Always about the now, rather than the after. You know what you can do now, but you don't know what you can do with the "after" part. So don't think about it or stress about it. It's out of your control right now.

Smash that interview, I'm sure you can do it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending