The Student Room Group

PGCE secondary unsure whether to apply for biology or chemistry?

I have A levels in Biology, Chemistry and maths although the grades are not exactly great (C, D, D respectively) and I am currently doing a biological science degree in which it looks like I will get a 2:1 in.
I am unsure on whether it is more likely I will be excepted on a biology based PGCE or a chemistry PGCE, baring in mind that the Exeter uni wants a 'good' Alevel grade in the science you choose?
Any input would be great.
Original post by leelee7237
I have A levels in Biology, Chemistry and maths although the grades are not exactly great (C, D, D respectively) and I am currently doing a biological science degree in which it looks like I will get a 2:1 in.
I am unsure on whether it is more likely I will be excepted on a biology based PGCE or a chemistry PGCE, baring in mind that the Exeter uni wants a 'good' Alevel grade in the science you choose?
Any input would be great.

Would you be accepted onto a Chemistry PGCE with a degree in biology? Usually 50% of your degree content has to be in the subject you want to teach. You'd probably be more employable as a biology teacher and you'd usually get to teach all 3 sciences to KS3 at least (and probably higher if you wanted to).

That said, there are a major shortage of chemistry teachers, and biology is one of the few subjects where applications have actually gone up this year (probably because of the massive bursary increase).

I applied (and was offered a place) by Exeter for a PGCE this year and found them very helpful via email, so I would email them and they will give you a good idea as to whether you stand a good chance of getting a place or not.
Reply 2
I ended up applying to Exeter and SWTT for chemistry and Plymouth for Biology. Exeter emailed and said I could switch to Biology or would have to do a SKE before I started in September, so switched it as I dont have time with my degree at the moment. I luckily got a place at both plymouth and exeter already! Are you starting in 2019 or this year? Many thanks for the help btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending