The Student Room Group

Advice/experiences about sharing a kitchen?

I'm really nervous about sharing a kitchen (and a flat in general) with strangers. I don't know anybody who's been to uni so I have no one to ask for advice.

When do you allocate kitchen space - who each cupboard or fridge/freezer shelf "belongs" too? Do you all agree upon this or do people kind of just put their stuff where they want? And are the cupboards/shelves labelled? When it comes to cooking, does everyone just cook for themselves?

Sorry for all the questions!
When I arrived at my halls, there were two flatmates living there already. The first flatmate I met said that they had decided to dedicate a shelf for each flatmate, and a section of the fridge/freezer for each flatmate too. Generally we had our own kitchen equipment, although we shared a kettle and toaster that one of the flatmates had bought. We cooked for ourselves and did our own washing up, but if you become close with your flatmates, you might cook for each other or cook together!
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
When I arrived at my halls, there were two flatmates living there already. The first flatmate I met said that they had decided to dedicate a shelf for each flatmate, and a section of the fridge/freezer for each flatmate too. Generally we had our own kitchen equipment, although we shared a kettle and toaster that one of the flatmates had bought. We cooked for ourselves and did our own washing up, but if you become close with your flatmates, you might cook for each other or cook together!

Thank you for your reply! :smile: Were there just 3 of you then? Did you get along quite well?
Original post by Amethyst12
I'm really nervous about sharing a kitchen (and a flat in general) with strangers. I don't know anybody who's been to uni so I have no one to ask for advice.

When do you allocate kitchen space - who each cupboard or fridge/freezer shelf "belongs" too? Do you all agree upon this or do people kind of just put their stuff where they want? And are the cupboards/shelves labelled? When it comes to cooking, does everyone just cook for themselves?

Sorry for all the questions!

my advice to you is if you like yoghurt (or anything like that i suppose) buy the cheapest one you can find, tesco value if poss. i dont know why, but in terms of things going "missing" it always seems to be yoghurt.

things will get stolen 5/6 times a year, so in terms of going 'up the wall' you should benchmark your number of stolen food items against that.

also try to go easy about milk, i'd never steal most things but i was partial to putting a little drop of someone's milk in my tea when absolutely desperate
Original post by Amethyst12
Thank you for your reply! :smile: Were there just 3 of you then? Did you get along quite well?

No problem, there are 5 people altogether (the last one moved in a few weeks after the semester started). At the start, we did hang out, but as the term progressed, we drifted further apart. We were civil towards each other, and if we did see each other in the kitchen, we would have a chat. I think this was to be expected, especially as we made friends on our courses, through societies and other students from the same accommodation.
Reply 5
Original post by CollectiveSoul
my advice to you is if you like yoghurt (or anything like that i suppose) buy the cheapest one you can find, tesco value if poss. i dont know why, but in terms of things going "missing" it always seems to be yoghurt.

things will get stolen 5/6 times a year, so in terms of going 'up the wall' you should benchmark your number of stolen food items against that.

also try to go easy about milk, i'd never steal most things but i was partial to putting a little drop of someone's milk in my tea when absolutely desperate

I did wonder whether people bought their own milk or all shared one... but then different people like different types of milk I suppose! I don't think I'd mind people taking a little milk or butter or something like that now and again - as long as stealing wasn't a regular thing.
Most unis have dedicated shelves for each room, for example if rooms are numbered a cupboard would be labeled 1,2 etc, if lettered A,B etc for fridge and freezer usually it's one shelf for each person. Everyone cooks for themselves and buys their own stuff.
(edited 5 years ago)
Everywhere I've seen has been cupboards and shelves per person. Some people suggest sharing milk and stuff but I'd buy your own if possible as it avoids arguments. Best to be chill about lending out milk and other small things and keep anything pricey which doesn't need to be refrigerated in your bedroom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending