The Student Room Group

Is anyone living at home and commuting to university?

I’ve applied for a university in Cardiff and have a conditional offer this September coming and have chosen to live at home and commute. I choose to do this as I studied 2 years of a different teaching related degree before and realised it wasn’t . I was told I couldn’t be funded for any loans by the student loan company due to previous study for first year and I’d have to self fund my first year. My friends say that I am missing out by not living in accommodation. Are they right?
Reply 1
I am :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kathrynw97
I’ve applied for a university in Cardiff and have a conditional offer this September coming and have chosen to live at home and commute. I choose to do this as I studied 2 years of a different teaching related degree before and realised it wasn’t . I was told I couldn’t be funded for any loans by the student loan company due to previous study for first year and I’d have to self fund my first year. My friends say that I am missing out by not living in accommodation. Are they right?

I know a friend who is. You will miss out on a part of Uni which is about growing up and making a new step in independence. Definitely not a required part. I personally think it should be down to money and weighing up the pros and cons due to that. These days it's more common to choice not to move out to save some money.
Reply 3
I decided to commute during my first year of university, mostly because at 18 I didn't feel ready to move out and live with complete strangers (I was a very very anxious teen, barely even recognise the old me now tbh!). I drove in to uni which is a much more appealing option than public transport to me because I knew I had the ability to go into and out of uni whenever I needed to and wasn't constrained by train/bus timetables. I didn't hate the commute, I just made sure I made extra effort to make friends on my court and went to a couple of societies to make friends, so if I wanted to go out I stayed with friends. I definitely did miss out a bit on some parts of uni life in first year but for me it was the best option, I saved a lot of money too. But a year was enough for me, and I moved in with friends id made for second year. My biggest advice is commuting to uni is totally a legitimate option as long as you know what to expect, and you make sure you are prepared to make extra effort trying to make friends as you don't have the halls environment. But then again, lots of people I know didn't get on with their flatmates and ended up making their closer friends on their course, which is no different to the situation you'd be in with commuting!
Moved to uni life :hat2:
I'm in the exact same situation, going to Cardiff in September but living at home. I have no idea how it's going to turn out though, people will have their flat mates so how easy is it going to be to make friends and go out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending