The Student Room Group

National Insurance Number

I am a British Citizen currently living in Spain and I have applied for student finance, which has been granted. I have been told that I need a NI, but have been unable to understand how to get it.I know I need to be in the UK to be able to apply for it, but I have no permanent address in the UK as I am planning to stay at Uni halls. I also understand that I need to get an appointment for an interview for the NI, but how and where shall I do this?In other words, if I have applied as an overseas student, how am I suppose to get this NI number? I have tried calling, but just a waste of time and money, talking to a mchines is useless when your category does that apply!Could someone please explain step by step what I need to do, and if you know times and documents needed-this would be much appreciated.
Hi,

Once you've submitted your application to us and your application is approved we'll do a check with the Department of Working Pensions (DWP) to see if you hold a National Insurance Number (NIN) in their records, they'll come back to us confirming you don't and will send you a letter asking you attend your local Job Centre Plus (JCP) for an appointment to obtain a NIN.

Regards, Aisha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending