The Student Room Group

What do you regret doing/ not doing in year 11?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marcbark143
Regret doing: I wasn’t focused enough at the start and middle of year 11 and only really realising it’s real about a month before the exams I was just treating year 11 as a joke for example when we doing food tech coursework I found a 3 a joke but then I took it seriously and got an 8 in part 2 and began revising I feel I could’ve done more to prepare.
Regret not doing: being more focused and doing lots more revising instead of doing loads in a small period.

I'm doing Food tech as well. How do you revise for it if you don't mind saying. Especially the coursework. I'm good at it as I got grade 6 in year 10 but I want to get higher grades and actually improve.
Original post by Reviser101
I'm doing Food tech as well. How do you revise for it if you don't mind saying. Especially the coursework. I'm good at it as I got grade 6 in year 10 but I want to get higher grades and actually improve.

For the first part we did meringue experiments so it was just a case of looking on google, the second part we did a 3 course practical in European cuisine so it’s was a case of applying knowledge of high skill dishes and research on the internet. For revision I went over the key topics such as gelatinisation, vitamins, mincerals, proteins ect. Our school gave us cards to copy down stuff from the revision guide and they helped to refer back to every now and then. For the exam the multiple choice is easy but you mainly want to try and get as many marks as possible on the 12 marker (the recipe choice question) I just made sure to mention about the nutritional values and deficiencies and excess which is something you need to revise as they may throw some questions about that. Also this year we had questions on starch based sauces so I’d also revise about the starch molecules and how starches thicken sauces but I’d say just make sure to revise the major things as they will most likely be the big markers whereas in the multiple choice it’s things like where is meat stored in the fridge and what product is effected by enzymatic browning
Original post by Marcbark143
For the first part we did meringue experiments so it was just a case of looking on google, the second part we did a 3 course practical in European cuisine so it’s was a case of applying knowledge of high skill dishes and research on the internet. For revision I went over the key topics such as gelatinisation, vitamins, mincerals, proteins ect. Our school gave us cards to copy down stuff from the revision guide and they helped to refer back to every now and then. For the exam the multiple choice is easy but you mainly want to try and get as many marks as possible on the 12 marker (the recipe choice question) I just made sure to mention about the nutritional values and deficiencies and excess which is something you need to revise as they may throw some questions about that. Also this year we had questions on starch based sauces so I’d also revise about the starch molecules and how starches thicken sauces but I’d say just make sure to revise the major things as they will most likely be the big markers whereas in the multiple choice it’s things like where is meat stored in the fridge and what product is effected by enzymatic browning

Also if you want to do better in the second part of the coursework really try to get those marks in for the small things eg keywords. To get higher grades we were told to add things like nutritional information and how could your dish be improved and add pictures of key skills eg chiffonade cut with a lettuce or skinning fish and making pastry. It’s all about presenting skill in the coursework. Someone In my class did salad, fish and chips and a failed sorbet and got a 2 so it’s important to choose doable high skill dishes and I believe the coursework is 60% so really try in the 2nd part
Stopped caring about useless homework and did proper revision instead.

Quick Reply

Latest