The Student Room Group

Teeth hurt a few weeks after getting braces tightened?

I've gotten my braces tightened for the first time so it hurt for the first week or so which is a given, but recently, (about 3 weeks after) my teeth have started to feel achy and sore again, is this normal? Any tips aside to reduce discomfort aside from pain killers?
Original post by dab4jesus420
I've gotten my braces tightened for the first time so it hurt for the first week or so which is a given, but recently, (about 3 weeks after) my teeth have started to feel achy and sore again, is this normal? Any tips aside to reduce discomfort aside from pain killers?

yeah its normal to reduce try softer food or cut up food (ie apples to be cut up) and try paracetamol to reduce pain also :smile:
Yes, this is normal. It takes peoples' bodies different amounts of time to melt the bone and allow the teeth to move into alignment. The arch-wire doesn't stop applying pressure, so your pain is likely a sign of progress rather than something wrong.
Reply 3
haha reminds me back in the day when i wore braces. yeah they hurt like a ***** often came and went. i suppose when it hurt it was a good sign i.e. teeth moving. it was all worth it
Original post by dab4jesus420

Try regular painkillers for a bit. But please dont over-do it on them!
Maybe even try applying ice for a max of 10min on each side to just soothe your mouth a bit. thats what i did for days when I had my wisdom teeth taken out
Original post by SomMC1
Try regular painkillers for a bit. But please dont over-do it on them!
Maybe even try applying ice for a max of 10min on each side to just soothe your mouth a bit. thats what i did for days when I had my wisdom teeth taken out

Original post by Ol94
haha reminds me back in the day when i wore braces. yeah they hurt like a ***** often came and went. i suppose when it hurt it was a good sign i.e. teeth moving. it was all worth it

Original post by Trust Orang
Yes, this is normal. It takes peoples' bodies different amounts of time to melt the bone and allow the teeth to move into alignment. The arch-wire doesn't stop applying pressure, so your pain is likely a sign of progress rather than something wrong.

Original post by Simone250900
yeah its normal to reduce try softer food or cut up food (ie apples to be cut up) and try paracetamol to reduce pain also :smile:

Thanks, I didn't know that my bodies response would be so delayed, I shall take all this advice to heart <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending