The Student Room Group

'Ask a Student' Chemistry Courses!

Hey there!!

This is part of the 'Ask a Student' series set up by 04MR17

I'm Elvendork, and for the past 4 years I've been at Chemistry student at the University of Leeds
During this time I've completed my BSc, MChem degree and in September I'll be a PhD student! While I've not personally done a year abroad or industry, I know plenty of people who have, so have some knowledge on how this works

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to answer them!
Original post by iElvendork
Hey there!!

I'm Elvendork, and for the past 4 years I've been at Chemistry student at the University of Leeds
During this time I've completed my BSc, MChem degree and in September I'll be a PhD student! While I've not personally done a year abroad or industry, I know plenty of people who have, so have some knowledge on how this works

You have two undergraduate degrees in chemistry? :eek:

What made you want to do a PhD? In what area are you going to be doing research?
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
You have two undergraduate degrees in chemistry? :eek:

What made you want to do a PhD? In what area are you going to be doing research?

An integrated masters is pretty common in most physical sciences, out of 150 that started at my uni (BSc and MChem), 60 went onto do the MChem course

I guess I wanted to my PhD as I love learning, I literally couldn't imagine myself doing a normal job. I've always been very academic as a person, it probably would have been weird if I didn't do a PhD.
My main area of focus is laser spectroscopy, which I never thought I'd find myself doing. I initially applied for atmospheric chemistry projects, but the schemes are very competitive. My MChem project supervisor had funding so I'm carrying on with her instead.

(If you want to Google any of this) I'm going to be building a frequency comb spectrometer, this is coupled to a home-built FTIR, and through this we are going to get high-resolution IR spectrums as a function of time(!!!!) and kinetic data for very hard to measure reactions
An integrated masters is pretty common in most physical sciences, out of 150 that started at my uni (BSc and MChem), 60 went onto do the MChem course

Oh okay, did you transfer from the BSc to the MChem did you mean? When did you decide to switch (if you did)?

Or did you enrol directly onto the MChem in your first year?

I guess I wanted to my PhD as I love learning, I literally couldn't imagine myself doing a normal job. I've always been very academic as a person, it probably would have been weird if I didn't do a PhD.
My main area of focus is laser spectroscopy, which I never thought I'd find myself doing. I initially applied for atmospheric chemistry projects, but the schemes are very competitive. My MChem project supervisor had funding so I'm carrying on with her instead.

Sounds good, I hope you enjoy it. Were you not tempted to go to another university?

(If you want to Google any of this) I'm going to be building a frequency comb spectrometer, this is coupled to a home-built FTIR, and through this we are going to get high-resolution IR spectrums as a function of time(!!!!) and kinetic data for very hard to measure reactions

Cool. Is that things that have funky functional groups like thionitriles that are relatively easy to distinguish with infra-red?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh okay, did you transfer from the BSc to the MChem did you mean? When did you decide to switch (if you did)?

Or did you enrol directly onto the MChem in your first year?

I actually transferred at the end of second year, I always wanted to be on the MChem route, it's just BSc is easier to get into and anyone can move into the MChem course if they are attaining at least at 2:1

The courses are identical until 3rd year, so it was so easy to switch

Sounds good, I hope you enjoy it. Were you not tempted to go to another university?

I had originally applied to places at Bristol, Leicester and Leeds. But I didn't get Bristol or the first Leeds place. Leicester gave me a late offer, but I had already applied to my supervisor, and the Leicester project was boring in comparison despite being on a good scheme. It was a very difficult choice to decide Leeds or Leicester, I kept changing my mind until the last minute but I'm happy with my choice now. Going for a girl power lab!

Cool. Is that things that have funky functional groups like thionitriles that are relatively easy to distinguish with infra-red?

Did you find the project online?! Although I'm not using thionitriles now (I did in my MChem project though). Looking at gas phase CH3S radicals. I think the guys have JILA have done something similar, there's a thesis I'm supposed to be reading, really need to do that.....
I actually transferred at the end of second year, I always wanted to be on the MChem route, it's just BSc is easier to get into and anyone can move into the MChem course if they are attaining at least at 2:1

The courses are identical until 3rd year, so it was so easy to switch

Good stuff :yy:

Did you find the project online?!

No :mmm:

Spoiler

Although I'm not using thionitriles now (I did in my MChem project though). Looking at gas phase CH3S radicals. I think the guys have JILA have done something similar, there's a thesis I'm supposed to be reading, really need to do that.....

Thorough research will save you months in the lab! Get on with it :p:
Reply 6
Good stuff :yy:

No :mmm:

Spoiler

Thorough research will save you months in the lab! Get on with it :p:

All that information is available on online already, it was an advertised project on at least two websites, that's why I wondered if you found it

Technically I don't start until October, so I have time!
(edited 5 years ago)
All that information is available on online already, it was an advertised project on at least two websites, that's why I wondered if you found it

Technically I don't start until October, so I have time!

Whatever you say, Frankie! But the time will fly by :yes:
Hey there!!

Hey there :hugs:
I'm a BSc Chemistry student about to go into my 2nd year. I was wondering about how you found your second year and how you decided to go for the MChem etc. as I'm considering all options really. I'm not sure what I want to do but I do also really enjoy learning and being in the lab. I'm considering an MChem but wasn't sure if it was worth the year in industry/abroad instead/as well. :dontknow:
Would love to hear from someone who has been through this sort of decision-making already :smile:

P.S Your PhD sounds really awesome !!!
Reply 9
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey there :hugs:
I'm a BSc Chemistry student about to go into my 2nd year. I was wondering about how you found your second year and how you decided to go for the MChem etc. as I'm considering all options really. I'm not sure what I want to do but I do also really enjoy learning and being in the lab. I'm considering an MChem but wasn't sure if it was worth the year in industry/abroad instead/as well. :dontknow:
Would love to hear from someone who has been through this sort of decision-making already :smile:

P.S Your PhD sounds really awesome !!!

Hi!
Second year was the hardest year of the course. We had to remember everything from the previous year, plus doing quantum mechanics and labs had crazy experiments. I had a good set of friends though so we all muddled through together!
I knew I wanted a job in chemistry, so getting that one step further degree just made sense. You don't have to do the year abroad or industry to go onto the MChem, I stayed at my university. I very nearly went abroad, but family circumstances stopped me (I couldn't be 8+ hours away from home). Also, industry didn't appeal to me as I knew I wanted to do something in physical chemistry, and you don't really get placements for that.

If you know you want to lean towards 'wet' chemistry, being in a proper lab with chemicals and reactions and stuff (Can you tell I haven't done a reaction in a while?!) then a year in industry would really benefit you.
I had 4 friends who studied abroad for the year (total of 15 in my year group) and while they said it was amazing, the work was very difficult. They went to either Canada, US or Singapore, and the grading was different along with the content. They struggled with that, and then obviously coming back for a year, they all sort of tuned out a bit, and none of them are doing jobs in chemistry now because they came to basically hate the subject.

You don't need to absolutely plan out your future now. I didn't decide I wanted to do a PhD until the start of my fourth year (Very nearly became an accountant!). But you do need to consider where you would be willing to go and make the most of the opportunities you do have.
Hi!
Second year was the hardest year of the course. We had to remember everything from the previous year, plus doing quantum mechanics and labs had crazy experiments. I had a good set of friends though so we all muddled through together!
I knew I wanted a job in chemistry, so getting that one step further degree just made sense. You don't have to do the year abroad or industry to go onto the MChem, I stayed at my university. I very nearly went abroad, but family circumstances stopped me (I couldn't be 8+ hours away from home). Also, industry didn't appeal to me as I knew I wanted to do something in physical chemistry, and you don't really get placements for that.

If you know you want to lean towards 'wet' chemistry, being in a proper lab with chemicals and reactions and stuff (Can you tell I haven't done a reaction in a while?!) then a year in industry would really benefit you.
I had 4 friends who studied abroad for the year (total of 15 in my year group) and while they said it was amazing, the work was very difficult. They went to either Canada, US or Singapore, and the grading was different along with the content. They struggled with that, and then obviously coming back for a year, they all sort of tuned out a bit, and none of them are doing jobs in chemistry now because they came to basically hate the subject.

You don't need to absolutely plan out your future now. I didn't decide I wanted to do a PhD until the start of my fourth year (Very nearly became an accountant!). But you do need to consider where you would be willing to go and make the most of the opportunities you do have.

I've heard this :sadnod:
I also have a nice group of friends so I hope I can get through it and not crumble :hide:
I know this but can you do a year in industry and then an MChem? I think I need to do a bit more looking-into exactly what it involves anyway but I just wanted to see what you thought :hugs:

Yeah, if I can I'd love to keep going with Chemistry so I shall consider the year in Industry!
People keep asking me what I want to do though and I just finished first year :redface: I don't have lots of experience in chemistry, for instance I had no luck getting a summer internship this summer so instead am just doing some work at the University (for accommodation lol).

Thank you so much, this has been so helpful!

Best of luck with your awesome PhD and I hope things are going well for you :cube:
[May be back later but have to disappear and make the dinner :wavey: ]
I also have a nice group of friends so I hope I can get through it and not crumble :hide:
I know this but can you do a year in industry and then an MChem? I think I need to do a bit more looking-into exactly what it involves anyway but I just wanted to see what you thought :hugs:

Yeah, if I can I'd love to keep going with Chemistry so I shall consider the year in Industry!
People keep asking me what I want to do though and I just finished first year :redface: I don't have lots of experience in chemistry, for instance I had no luck getting a summer internship this summer so instead am just doing some work at the University (for accommodation lol).

Best of luck with your awesome PhD and I hope things are going well for you :cube:

Yeah, so you can either do a year in industry can go back to either BSc or MChem. If you do back to do the MChem you'll have to do distance learning throughout the year so you can keep up in 4th year. Depending on the uni will depend on the work load. Then this work and a sort of performance review for industry will be used to calculate a grade for the year.
You'll have to start applying in October for places - but there's plenty around, I know people who spent a year in Switzerland at Roche, places like RB, Pfizer, GSK, Lubrizol, some guy worked on the new Vanta black paint
I'd start having a look at different companies and see who aligns best with your interests

(Any work experience is good experience!!)
Thank you! I'm so excited to start!

Hi @CheeseIsVeg,

Well done on making it through the first year and looking forward to what comes next. @iElvendork has done a cracking job of answering many of your questions already, but i just thought i'd leave a few comments on gaining experience etc.

The first thing to say is that at the other end of your degree, when you are looking for employment, any experience, whether in a chemical environment or not will be valuable to employers. They will want to see that you have a range of skills such as working with others, taking initiative etc. Your degree will already prove you know the subject.

It is a good idea to record the skills that you are developing now so that you have something to refer to when you are applying for placements or jobs. There are plenty of ways that you can do this, either with old fashioned pen and paper, but if you would like a starting point, you can use the Undergraduate Skills Record. It will give you an idea of the things that employers will be looking for in your future.

If you did want to find an industry placement, either short term of for a year in industry, a good starting place is Chemistry World Jobs Online. It has a specific section for long-term and short-term roles for undergraduate chemists. It's currently the wrong time of year to be looking but you can set up an alert so that when they do appear, you'll be the first to know!

I hope these are useful. Do get in touch if you have any other questions that we may be able to help with.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry
Reply 13
Hi

I would value your feedback please:-

I enjoy Chemistry, predicted A at A level and was considering “Chemistry With Industrial Experience” however, I have been doing some research work experience which is more biochemistry related but to be honest it’s made me realise that research / lab work just isn’t for me.

I think I’m more interested in the theory of science, as part of an industrial process, where there is some end product, product development. Or maybe I don’t know, food engineering or Oil and gas just not something that’s in the lab all the time or is heavy lab research based

To complicate further, I didn’t take maths at A level or Physics, I’m a grade 7 GCSE and A respectively. whilst maths is ok I don’t love it! My other A levels are Science and computer Science but I’m not interested in further computer programming although I’m predicted A

In all, I’m now unsure of best degree to study, any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending