The Student Room Group

BSc (Hons) Psychology degree?

Would you say that this is a pointless degree? Because first I wanted to become a counselling psychologist but I heard u will need masters and a PhD degree? Is it true that u need to do both. Do you think the psychology field is a good pay?
Original post by joni292
A degree in Psychology is definitely not pointless. After your Bachelors degree, you need to do a doctorate (usually 3 years? I might be wrong) to practise as a psychologist but it's not Masters + PhD. If you decide not to become a psychologist, you could go into human resources, careers advice, market research, sales, teaching, advertising, social work, etc.

In terms of pay, it is on average lower than say, finance or medicine, but if you work hard you can still get a well-paid job. You'd probably also be paid better if you were passionate about psychology than if you went into finance without the right skills/passion/motivation.

You don't necessarily need a PhD to become a psychologist. Some roles do - clinical psychologists for example - but others only need a Masters.
Original post by bones-mccoy
You don't necessarily need a PhD to become a psychologist. Some roles do - clinical psychologists for example - but others only need a Masters.

What about a counselling Psychologist or a health psychologist? What would I need for a that, a PhD or masters?
Original post by Mya.Ahmed18
What about a counselling Psychologist or a health psychologist? What would I need for a that, a PhD or masters?

For counselling psychologist, you'd need an accredited psychology degree or conversion course to get BPS membership then a PhD in Counselling Psychology or the Society Qualification in Counselling Psychology. Registration with the HCPC.

For health psychology, you'd need psychology degree/conversion course, Masters, then either a PhD or Stage 2 of the Society Qualification in Health Psychology.

The BPS website is a goldmine for info about psychology careers.
For counselling psychologist, you'd need an accredited psychology degree or conversion course to get BPS membership then a PhD in Counselling Psychology or the Society Qualification in Counselling Psychology. Registration with the HCPC.

For health psychology, you'd need psychology degree/conversion course, Masters, then either a PhD or Stage 2 of the Society Qualification in Health Psychology.

Thank you so much!!
Reply 5

This information is gold - I've been trying to figure out the route to being a counselor. Is it more or less the same story for therapy/become a therapist?
Original post by Nmys
This information is gold - I've been trying to figure out the route to being a counselor. Is it more or less the same story for therapy/become a therapist?

Tell me about it😂 it is so useful and helped me out so much and I think it’s very similar but I’m not sure
Original post by Nmys

I'm not sure myself but I found these which may help:

https://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/join/how-to-train/

https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest