The Student Room Group

Options with ordinary BSc and funding for second degrees

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me as I cannot seem to find the answers or the pathway!

I hold an ordinary degree (BSc counselling, accredited by BACP) - I was unable to complete the course during lockdown due to depression/ill health so they awarded me a lesser. The body of my BSc is actually an FdSc with case study/lower level 5 'dissertation' and the BSc was a top-up. Retaking this course is NOT an option, partly due to some unprofessional practices by the provider which had been investigated and very poor support/political issues within the team.

I really need to top up to an honours, in order to study the postgraduate psychology courses as I cannot seem to find any other alternative. My ideal would be to study a BPS accredited course in order to continue with the hope of working as a psychologist with adults on the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum (All autistic in our family!).

My question is regarding the second undergraduate degree funding for approved courses which have to be part time according to the scant infomration I can find.
Would SFE fund a stand alone level 6 module via the OU for example to allow me to gain the necessary research module and credits to progress onto a Masters, or would I have to undertake a full bachelors with honours, which would have to be part-time (6years!) purely to gain the honours?

Does such a standalone pre masters module exist for the limbo grads like myself? I have asked so many questions in the last few months to the course providers and the answers all vary, but never any clarity rearding my specific scenario.

Sorry it is quite a waffly one but I have been chasing this for almost a year now and still no further:frown: I though I had it all sussed early last year as had been offered a place on a Masters in Autism Studies via SHU/National Autistic Society which wasn't quite the BPS course but it was a good alternative - with only months to go, they downgraded the course to a PGDip, so I lost my funding.

Almost a year later I am STILL trying to find the pathway without any success.

I am a mature student, I do not have access to funds and I have a disabled child so I do not have a workplace who can fund courses for me.

Please help.
If you want an BSc with honours from OU then you will need to take 120 credits with them. They don’t allow more than 240 credits from other providers to count towards their degree awards.

However if you don’t hold a BSc (Hons) degree then you don’t need to worry about second degree funding rules - topping up from a BSc ordinary to one with honours is taking a higher qualification. Only the previous study rules would apply and those are quite generous for part time funding
Hi there, We would asses your eligibility based on the previous study calculation. How long would the course be that you are looking to study? Thanks, Angela
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.
I was advised they because the top up I was funded for was for BSc (Hons) that I have used up my eligibility, even though I was awarded a lesser degree due to mitigating factors.

I have no idea how long the course will take as I am unsure what I will be considered for. The ideal would be a masters, but I don't meet entry requirements for the majority of the post graduate BPS accredited psychology courses I wish to pursue. This is the dilemma. I don't really want nor can I do a 6 year part-time BSc just for the dissertation and was advised that this would be a laborious and pointless route, so I was hopeful that I could do just a year or some kind of pre masters module, almost akin to an Access module but for level 6 upwards.
I feel so frustrated and stuck. My health has improved so I feel very sad that I missed the boat.

The original uni who provided validation of the BSc top up cannot even help as the college that hosted it have lost their contract and now use another academic institution to validate the course.

My ideal would be to do the research year of a psychology degree to top up to the honours and prepare myself for postgraduate level work. To further complicate, I was advised that the UG degree cannot be BPS accredited if I am choosing to take on a PG BPS accredited pathway, as the masters will be classed as the conversion.

Sorry, as you can understand, my head is spinning and I don't want to waste another year...

Many thanks 🙏🙏🙏
Although you were funded for the BSc top up your eligibility is based on what your highest held qualification actually is. So if you haven’t been awarded a BSc (hons) then you can still be funded for study towards your honours. If you wanted to study full time then previous study rules would be an issue but for part time funding you’d be fine.

Masters funding would be calculated separately (and in addition to) any extra undergraduate funding you get to sit another 120 credits at level 6.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Although you were funded for the BSc top up your eligibility is based on what your highest held qualification actually is. So if you haven’t been awarded a BSc (hons) then you can still be funded for study towards your honours. If you wanted to study full time then previous study rules would be an issue but for part time funding you’d be fine.

Masters funding would be calculated separately (and in addition to) any extra undergraduate funding you get to sit another 120 credits at level 6.

Oh thank you so much for confirming this, as I cannot get a straight answer from advisors elsewhere - the general gist was, I was funded for the Hons therefore I've used up that eligibility!

Many thanks!
Reply 6
I think I need to get hold of somebody at SFE, as I just tried the application for part-time funding for an Hons degree and this message came up - You cannot apply for a loan with us
As you have previously studied a Degree without honours you are not eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan or a loan for living costs with us.
We will now cancel your application and take you to your account.

Back to the drawing board:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We would asses your eligibility based on the previous study calculation. How long would the course be that you are looking to study? Thanks, Angela

Thank you Angela...I appreciate your reply. I am not eligible it seems, as I have just tried 2 applications, as I already hold a degree without Hons. Unsure of length as the 2 institutions I am talking to are unsure, due to credit transfer possibilities; the ideal would be either part-time 60credits a year and entering the course in Y3, on an approved course (SFE will not fund me for the Open Honours 120 credits even though I never reached the Honours part and only gained 60credits in Y3, so perhaps the approved second degree rule must be triggered).
Online advisors via these orgs are giving me very mixed messages☹️ so I'd appreciate direct advice from SFE on the rules. Many thanks again.
Reply 8
Original post by Bonstance
Thank you Angela...I appreciate your reply. I am not eligible it seems, as I have just tried 2 applications, as I already hold a degree without Hons. Unsure of length as the 2 institutions I am talking to are unsure, due to credit transfer possibilities; the ideal would be either part-time 60credits a year and entering the course in Y3, on an approved course (SFE will not fund me for the Open Honours 120 credits even though I never reached the Honours part and only gained 60credits in Y3, so perhaps the approved second degree rule must be triggered).
Online advisors via these orgs are giving me very mixed messages☹️ so I'd appreciate direct advice from SFE on the rules. Many thanks again.

Just to add, I mean direct from SFE meaning you! Sorry, I just re-read my message and it doesn't come across as intended!! Apologies - I am getting mixed information from the academic institutions so will prefer to liaiase only with SFE and their reps:smile:
Hi there,

You would need to apply on the paper application if you can't do this online. You can find the forms on our website here Student finance forms - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and post this back to the address on the form. The team will review this and confirm if you're eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire
In case you need the rules to back you up

Guidance stating that a BSc (Hons) is a higher qualification than a BSc without honours: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/media/47419ab1-1872-42df-9b55-8640d8fcc1ae/heses23-guidance-update-250102023.pdf
Page 80
Annex F
Paragraph 21 b
"In general, providers should treat qualifications that fall within the same level in the sector-recognised standards and FHEQ as being equivalent. However, for ELQ purposes, it may be appropriate in certain circumstances to consider a hierarchy of qualifications within a single level, especially where students are progressing through a succession of qualifications. In particular:"
"b. Within Level 6 in the sector-recognised standards and FHEQ, it will normally be appropriate to consider a bachelors’ degree with honours to be at a higher level than a bachelors’ degree without honours."

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1984/support-for-pt-students-2324-england-v10-final.pdf the part time funding rules - previous study section 2.2.8 page 19 onwards
"Where the student holds a lower-level qualification they can receive PT funding to top up their qualification to an Honours degree on a PT basis." "Note that previous years of FT study do not count towards the 16-year maximum number of years of PT support a student can access."

Unfortunately the online application form struggles with previous study and ELQ rules but you are NOT an ELQ student if you're topping up from a BSc Ordinary to a BSc Honours and part time study funding rules mean you should be fine.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
In case you need the rules to back you up

Guidance stating that a BSc (Hons) is a higher qualification than a BSc without honours: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/media/47419ab1-1872-42df-9b55-8640d8fcc1ae/heses23-guidance-update-250102023.pdf
Page 80
Annex F
Paragraph 21 b
"In general, providers should treat qualifications that fall within the same level in the sector-recognised standards and FHEQ as being equivalent. However, for ELQ purposes, it may be appropriate in certain circumstances to consider a hierarchy of qualifications within a single level, especially where students are progressing through a succession of qualifications. In particular:"
"b. Within Level 6 in the sector-recognised standards and FHEQ, it will normally be appropriate to consider a bachelors’ degree with honours to be at a higher level than a bachelors’ degree without honours."

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1984/support-for-pt-students-2324-england-v10-final.pdf the part time funding rules - previous study section 2.2.8 page 19 onwards
"Where the student holds a lower-level qualification they can receive PT funding to top up their qualification to an Honours degree on a PT basis." "Note that previous years of FT study do not count towards the 16-year maximum number of years of PT support a student can access."

Unfortunately the online application form struggles with previous study and ELQ rules but you are NOT an ELQ student if you're topping up from a BSc Ordinary to a BSc Honours and part time study funding rules mean you should be fine.

I cannot thank you ENOUGH! Having this evidence to reinforce what I may be eligible takes away half the battle, so I am eternally grateful for the time you have taken to source this. I guess I will need to call SFE and discuss my application and eligibility if I want to bypass the electronic system.

So, I could do an Open University 'Open' Hons that isn't on the 'approved second degree' list, as I am topping up an incomplete Honours as it is. Thank you again.
Reply 12
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

You would need to apply on the paper application if you can't do this online. You can find the forms on our website here Student finance forms - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and post this back to the address on the form. The team will review this and confirm if you're eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you Claire! Gratefully received!
Original post by Bonstance
Thank you Claire! Gratefully received!

You're welcome! Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending