The Student Room Group

Suspending MA starting PGCE

I recently suspended my MA course due to various personal factors in my life that meant I was unable to complete my dissertation. My course leader has accepted this and changed my submission date to September 2019. However, I am due to start my PGCE course in September which will be funded by student finance (as was my MA).

I was wondering, due to suspending my MA will this have any implications upon receiving funding for my PGCE? I don’t want to wait another year to do my PGCE purely because my dissertation has been pushed back. What option is the best to continue with my plan of doing my PGCE?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Curtis_B
I recently suspended my MA course due to various personal factors in my life that meant I was unable to complete my dissertation. My course leader has accepted this and changed my submission date to September 2019. However, I am due to start my PGCE course in September which will be funded by student finance (as was my MA).

I was wondering, due to suspending my MA will this have any implications upon receiving funding for my PGCE? I don’t want to wait another year to do my PGCE purely because my dissertation has been pushed back. What option is the best to continue with my plan of doing my PGCE?

Hi,

You can't receive 2 lots of funding at the same time nor can you have 2 live applications for 2 products in the same academic year. (such as PGCE and your MA Postgraduate Loan)

You'll need to complete one first before you can commence the second.

Regards, Aisha.
Reply 2
Original post by Aisha SFE
Hi,

You can't receive 2 lots of funding at the same time nor can you have 2 live applications for 2 products in the same academic year. (such as PGCE and your MA Postgraduate Loan)

You'll need to complete one first before you can commence the second.

Regards, Aisha.

I spoke to numerous people at Student Finance and they have said the opposite. Because I have received all of my funding for my MA so the suspension of studies wouldn’t be classed as a concurrent study, I was told that I would still receive my PGCE loan
Original post by Curtis_B
I spoke to numerous people at Student Finance and they have said the opposite. Because I have received all of my funding for my MA so the suspension of studies wouldn’t be classed as a concurrent study, I was told that I would still receive my PGCE loan

Hi Curtis,

Would you be looking for funding for both these courses or are you looking to receive funding for your PGCE and just continue to complete your MA at the same time?

Thanks Erin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending