The Student Room Group

does anyone has a part time job as i cannot find one?

i have been looking for one for the past 3 weeks and i only receive rejections
How many applications have you made?

Have you asked for feedback?

Where have you been trying?
Original post by asdjas
i have been looking for one for the past 3 weeks and i only receive rejections

No lol. I've applied to Domino's, Travelodge, Pubs, KFC and I've had 0 luck 😂 I've had experience working in retail and working on a bar plus I've got a degree so it's stupid that I've not been given even an interview lol.
Reply 3
Original post by FailedTeacher
How many applications have you made?

Have you asked for feedback?

Where have you been trying?

Mac Donald s and Asda Rejection what I received and it's honestly heartbreaking as first, the application takes 1 hour to do and then the assessments
Original post by madmirrors
No lol. I've applied to Domino's, Travelodge, Pubs, KFC and I've had 0 luck 😂 I've had experience working in retail and working on a bar plus I've got a degree so it's stupid that I've not been given even an interview lol.

Stupid in what way? For me, if you have that experience, that level of academic quality then is it possible you're not selling yourself enough on your CV? :smile: Having a degree and experience doesn't guarantee you an interview. Also, what's your degree in? I hope its something food related if they're all the jobs you've applied for :P

Original post by asdjas
Mac Donald s and Asda Rejection what I received and it's honestly heartbreaking as first, the application takes 1 hour to do and then the assessments

Did you ask for any feedback? I find that soul-destroying too. Some applications ask the world from you and don't get back in touch?!

When I was searching for a job, I set a target of 10 applications/enquiries per day at a bare minimum :smile: It's all a numbers game at the end of the day. I would get a response from every 5 or so but only an interview say out of every 20 responses - one interview per week on average although it never worked out that way, I went 2 weeks without an interview and then had 3 in one week!
Did you ask for any feedback? I find that soul-destroying too. Some applications ask the world from you and don't get back in touch?!

When I was searching for a job, I set a target of 10 applications/enquiries per day at a bare minimum :smile: It's all a numbers game at the end of the day. I would get a response from every 5 or so but only an interview say out of every 20 responses - one interview per week on average although it never worked out that way, I went 2 weeks without an interview and then had 3 in one week!

My CV is fine - Been checked by many people and it's ok. I don't bother asking for feedback lol. I think as soon as they see I'm a graduate, minimum wage jobs don't want me lol. They never contacted me with a decision.
My CV is fine - Been checked by many people and it's ok. I don't bother asking for feedback lol. I think as soon as they see I'm a graduate, minimum wage jobs don't want me lol. They never contacted me with a decision.

Is it possible to include some of your cv on here, obvious not your personal bits :smile:

I’ve had three jobs since uni all not requiring a degree but it supported my application. My guest job knew and understood it was a gateway job to me. I gave them a solid performance over 6 months then got picked up else where.
Is it possible to include some of your cv on here, obvious not your personal bits :smile:

I’ve had three jobs since uni all not requiring a degree but it supported my application. My guest job knew and understood it was a gateway job to me. I gave them a solid performance over 6 months then got picked up else where.

Sorry, I'm uncomfortable sharing my CV online I'm afraid, it has a lot of info I'd rather not share. I've had 2 bar work jobs and I've worked in retail for a few months but recently I've had no luck lol. I won't be applying for any minimum wage jobs once I have my masters degree. Nice work!
Reply 8

What is your degree out of interest?

To be honest, those kinds of jobs simply aren't going care if you have a degree, so it's probably not even worth mentioning (especially if it's a worthless, mickey mouse degree).
Original post by Wōden

To be honest, those kinds of jobs simply aren't going care if you have a degree, so it's probably not even worth mentioning (especially if it's a worthless, mickey mouse degree).

Biology - I don't want to not mention it because it's one of my qualifications and I've previously mentioned in my old CVs which got me jobs that I'm a student and it's worked.
Original post by Wōden

The issue is he will be required to explain any gaps in employment or studies, he can't just have 3 years of unexplained activity!

Sorry, I'm uncomfortable sharing my CV online I'm afraid, it has a lot of info I'd rather not share. I've had 2 bar work jobs and I've worked in retail for a few months but recently I've had no luck lol. I won't be applying for any minimum wage jobs once I have my masters degree. Nice work!

That's fine but I only really wanted your personal statement, I wanted to see how you sell yourself to employers - feel free to apply for jobs that pay an amount you feel you're worth but sometimes you need to prove yourself professionally before employers are willing to pay - I learned that the hard way - I felt I was worth 18k at a min. and ended up on 15k after months of getting nowhere - but it only took a year to go beyond that :smile: 15k was better than nothing and it gave me the experience I needed :smile:
That's fine but I only really wanted your personal statement, I wanted to see how you sell yourself to employers - feel free to apply for jobs that pay an amount you feel you're worth but sometimes you need to prove yourself professionally before employers are willing to pay - I learned that the hard way - I felt I was worth 18k at a min. and ended up on 15k after months of getting nowhere - but it only took a year to go beyond that :smile: 15k was better than nothing and it gave me the experience I needed :smile:

That's ok, I just don't like sharing personal stuff is all :smile: And FailedTeacher, I don't have 3 years of unexplained activity actually - I worked in retail in 2014 during university, then I worked as a secret shopper in 2015, then I did bar work from summer 2015 to 2016 and I had a summer job at a racecourse doing bar work last summer. I also volunteered at a hospice from 2014 to 2016. It has only been this summer I've not been working, the area I live in is rural and there's few jobs available.
That's ok, I just don't like sharing personal stuff is all :smile: And FailedTeacher, I don't have 3 years of unexplained activity actually - I worked in retail in 2014 during university, then I worked as a secret shopper in 2015, then I did bar work from summer 2015 to 2016 and I had a summer job at a racecourse doing bar work last summer. I also volunteered at a hospice from 2014 to 2016. It has only been this summer I've not been working, the area I live in is rural and there's few jobs available.

You've misunderstood, I said that as a reason why you can't just leave a 3 year gap on your CV - it's going to be asked anyway - pretty sure it might be regulation now that employers understand what you've been doing for the previous 5 years or at least it is in the Financial Sector!

And that's very good experience, much more than some! But I've seen people with less experience, without a degree get a job over people with experience and with a degree - it comes down to selling yourself and why should they pick you over others :smile:
And that's very good experience, much more than some! But I've seen people with less experience, without a degree get a job over people with experience and with a degree - it comes down to selling yourself and why should they pick you over others :smile:

Thank you - It's not just down to selling yourself either cause must employers don't want students working for them over summer and leaving to go to university because they prefer someone to work for them regularly.
Thank you - It's not just down to selling yourself either cause must employers don't want students working for them over summer and leaving to go to university because they prefer someone to work for them regularly.

It's always about selling yourself :wink: Sales is everywhere!

Yeah employers will have a criteria too but that's normally stated in the job application to begin with. If they're looking for permanent staff you wouldn't apply and say you can only be there for 6 weeks :') That's 'Attention To Detail' marked down!

I'm sure you'll find somewhere soon :smile: But it's important to self-reflect and ask yourself "why did I get an interview, why didn't I get that job" and think what changes you can make :smile:
Reply 16
Rejections from everywhere
Too many people, not enough jobs to go round? Rather than recruit more staff, in some sectors employees are just being overworked and underpaid which forces them to look for another job and...oh guess what...add themselves to the other 249 applicants creating a vicious circle
Original post by asdjas
Rejections from everywhere

Can you be more specific? We will need more details to be able to pin point where we could offer you some advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending