The Student Room Group

Tips on dissertation?

Tips on research techniques, making notes, avoiding plagiarism, and writing will be very much appreciated.
Tips on research techniques, making notes, avoiding plagiarism, and writing will be very much appreciated.

Congratulations on getting to your final year! The dissertation works the same as the essays that are done throughout the university course. All the previous essays, course work are helping prepare students for the final written assessment. Follow the same path in the other essays. Make sure the question is a topic that can by critically analysed, discussed and researched in depth. Try writing a few questions with a plan, present them to the lecturer and ask for their feedback. They will be the best person to ask as they will be marking it. there are many tips on youtube that have been posted from various universities. Also ask the library staff at your university they will be able to help point you in the right direction. Try writing everything into your own words (apart from direct quotes). This is much easier if one understands fully what they are researching.

Best of Luck,

Dorothy- Student Ambassador :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep

Congratulations on getting to your final year! The dissertation works the same as the essays that are done throughout the university course. All the previous essays, course work are helping prepare students for the final written assessment. Follow the same path in the other essays. Make sure the question is a topic that can by critically analysed, discussed and researched in depth. Try writing a few questions with a plan, present them to the lecturer and ask for their feedback. They will be the best person to ask as they will be marking it. there are many tips on youtube that have been posted from various universities. Also ask the library staff at your university they will be able to help point you in the right direction. Try writing everything into your own words (apart from direct quotes). This is much easier if one understands fully what they are researching.

Best of Luck,

Dorothy- Student Ambassador :smile:

Unfortunately I don't think they meant that kind of dissertation, looks like they're doing A-levels.

@boojai what subject? or is this an EPQ?
Original post by Sinnoh
Unfortunately I don't think they meant that kind of dissertation, looks like they're doing A-levels.

@boojai what subject? or is this an EPQ?

You're right. I'm doing an EPQ about economics - the Japanese asset price bubble and Abenomics (policies to combat the adverse effects from the bursting of the bubble). Currently I'm still doing research but I just have too many books, articles and journals to go through and need tips on how to select the ones that I really need. Also, I'm going to be marked on organization and time management, so I need advice on this as well.

Kind regards
Reply 4
Original post by boojai
You're right. I'm doing an EPQ about economics - the Japanese asset price bubble and Abenomics (policies to combat the adverse effects from the bursting of the bubble). Currently I'm still doing research but I just have too many books, articles and journals to go through and need tips on how to select the ones that I really need. Also, I'm going to be marked on organization and time management, so I need advice on this as well.

Kind regards

Well the most I can do to help really is moving it to the proper forum. As for having too many sources, I'd suggest you cut down ruthlessly and don't look back. I know that for history coursework you're only meant to skim through to maybe get the general idea and some quotes, I'd imagine it's similar for this.
...And in future you should specify that it's an EPQ dissertation, because normally that refers to the essay done in the final year of uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending