The Student Room Group

Second year nursing student and dreading going to placement all of the time...

Hi

so I'm second year and every time I have to go to placement I freak out.

I such an anxious person, not very confident either. I guess its cos I look young as well, around 15/16 when im actually 6 years older(someone said I look as young as 12 once). Patients will comment on this and patients family and it really gets me down. I don't want to seem incompetent and thats exactly how I feel. I'm considering wearing glasses to make myself seem older.

I get super nervous when talking to patient family members and doctors, I hate it. My heart rate always gets really high, I don't know whether i should go doctors to get my anxiety checked out?

At the moment I feel like i don't want to do nursing, I always talk to my friends about feeling like I don't know what I'm doing but no one shares the same feelings or not to my extreme it seems
Why do you want to give up nursing? You’ve come so far :smile:
Original post by ribenanxiety
Hi

so I'm second year and every time I have to go to placement I freak out.

I such an anxious person, not very confident either. I guess its cos I look young as well, around 15/16 when im actually 6 years older(someone said I look as young as 12 once). Patients will comment on this and patients family and it really gets me down. I don't want to seem incompetent and thats exactly how I feel. I'm considering wearing glasses to make myself seem older.

I get super nervous when talking to patient family members and doctors, I hate it. My heart rate always gets really high, I don't know whether i should go doctors to get my anxiety checked out?

At the moment I feel like i don't want to do nursing, I always talk to my friends about feeling like I don't know what I'm doing but no one shares the same feelings or not to my extreme it seems

Sometimes you just need to fake confidence until it comes naturally. It's likely to be more to do with the way you carry yourself and present yourself than your appearance.

If you have concerns, then it's best to get checked out. Something you might dismiss could be something easily fixed. It's quite normal to need some support at some point in your life.
Reply 3
I’m feeling this right now! Your situation has explained my situation to a T. I hope you stuck out your training I bet you’re a great RN now!
Original post by caitw97
I’m feeling this right now! Your situation has explained my situation to a T. I hope you stuck out your training I bet you’re a great RN now!

Feeling this way right now too🥲if you don’t mind me asking how did you deal with it? I have nearly finished first year and considering if I want to continue
Original post by chxnteelle
Feeling this way right now too🥲if you don’t mind me asking how did you deal with it? I have nearly finished first year and considering if I want to continue

Hi! I’m in the same position😭, only just started year two but have doubts still. How are you feeling about it all now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending