The Student Room Group

Whats your opinion on collecting match worn shirts? (Or on those who do it)

Do any of you collect match worn shirts as memorabilia? I do, but its a very expensive hobby particularly if you want shirts from the top players or shirts from World Cup's/Champions Leagues 20+ years ago.

Another big problem about it is obviously is the authenticity of it actually being match worn and not being a fake (or a match issue).

Classicfootallshirts are probably the best, the ones I buy from the most, there are few other sites like urmyhero and a few auctions with a good links to footballers (e.g. GrahamBudd). I would almost certainly never buy off ebay unless the COA was provided and the user had a good reputation, even then I would still hesitate.

Does anyone here do it, or plan on ever doing it? Or do you consider people who do it as a hobby a bit sad? :P
It's not at all sad to collect those shirts. Why would it be? A lot of people collect sports memorabilia. Some might not understand why you would spend that much on a t-shirt. I don't collect myself, but i get it. Such a shirt represents the history of the club, the player and the match.

What are the most special shirts you own ? How much does an average 20 year old CL shirt cost?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sharpshooter
Do any of you collect match worn shirts as memorabilia? I do, but its a very expensive hobby particularly if you want shirts from the top players or shirts from World Cup's/Champions Leagues 20+ years ago.

Another big problem about it is obviously is the authenticity of it actually being match worn and not being a fake (or a match issue).

Classicfootallshirts are probably the best, the ones I buy from the most, there are few other sites like urmyhero and a few auctions with a good links to footballers (e.g. GrahamBudd). I would almost certainly never buy off ebay unless the COA was provided and the user had a good reputation, even then I would still hesitate.

Does anyone here do it, or plan on ever doing it? Or do you consider people who do it as a hobby a bit sad? :P

I've found the collection hobby a bit of a weird one, collecting smelly sweat-ridden tops. However, they are worth a lot and will probably be worth more if given a few decades or so.

All I can say is at least you're not collecting stamps.
Original post by RickiestRick
I've found the collection hobby a bit of a weird one, collecting smelly sweat-ridden tops. However, they are worth a lot and will probably be worth more if given a few decades or so.

All I can say is at least you're not collecting stamps.

A lot of them are washed, or at least don't smell when I buy them. I'm interested in the prestige of the actual shirt being part of history or a famous game, not any of the sweat or dirt, so I'd have no problem washing them myself as long as I could keep them in mint condition.
Original post by Sharpshooter
A lot of them are washed, or at least don't smell when I buy them. I'm interested in the prestige of the actual shirt being part of history or a famous game, not any of the sweat or dirt, so I'd have no problem washing them myself as long as I could keep them in mint condition.

Well that's alright then, but I do know some people who collect them and keep the sweat and grime for the 'authentic' feel.
Original post by RickiestRick
Well that's alright then, but I do know some people who collect them and keep the sweat and grime for the 'authentic' feel.

I get why some people say that, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I just like the idea of owning a match worn shirt from a player who scored/assisted a winning goal in a famous match, or was part of a famous match. I then I could turn around and say I own that piece of history, when it's played on ESPN classics or whatever (sad I know). The exact specific condition of shirt isn't really of interest, as long as I have it.
Original post by GlockInmyRari

What are the most special shirts you own ? How much does an average 20 year old CL shirt cost?

I don't own any 'special shirts' as of yet, just some random international ones from qualifiers or friendlies, but I'm planning to step it up, having more money now, and perhaps purchase some of the more famous shirts.

For example classicfootballshirts had a guy Albert Celades, Barca midfielder who played the entire Barcelona 3-3 Man United match (alongside 18 year old Xavi) at the Nou Camp, that was from United's treble season in 1998/99. They were selling that £600 (and it was sold), which is obviously A LOT.

Martin Keown's match worn shirt from Arsenal's famous 0-1 at Old Trafford to clinch the title in the 01/02 season (which he played the full 90s minutes) went for about £700. A match worn John Terry league shirt (against West Brom I think) from Chelsea's 95 point season in 04/05 went for £400.

There are some match worn shirts from the 1990/1994/1998/2002 World Cups that are going for £400-£800, England match worn shirts (very popular obviously) going for £500-£700, one's from World Cup matches may go over £1000.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Wonder how much Messi or Ronaldo one's would cost?? :gah:
No but I understand the attraction. I do have a bit of memorabilia but no match worn shirts.

Quick Reply

Latest