The Student Room Group

Am I stopping myself from going to uni? (Rant..?)

Obviously everyone is apprehensive about starting new chapters but I somehow can't seem to turn this page of mine. I went to college and got my first diploma in media, then I ended up getting really ill mental healthwise. I'm also transgender and currently undergoing treatment. In these few years I've been trying to get the help I need and in the peaks I found the courage to apply for universities.

Although I'm 22 and I don't have any UCAS points I managed to get accepted to a few universities, strange I know but I'm great at writing a sob story basically. I ended up not going as the uni was way to far away for me. So the next year I went to my college I previously studied at and asked the art and design tutor to let me on their foundation course. I had like 3 interviews as he seemed genuinely interested in my circumstances and creative projects I had been working on. Also, I was basically skipping a year. I eventually got an email from him saying I was accepted and he was more than happy to let me enroll. I emailed him back saying such a big thanks, he replied asking for my address to send me my application forms. So I did. He never replied after that. Totally left me in the dark, I tried to contact him a few times but didn't want to push to much.

So fast forward to now, I want to go to my A Levels, or this foundation course. Totally anxious about it all, as there's an open erollment on the 30th and I guess I just go in and ask. It's just very awkward for me, although I really want to do this so I can go to a uni closer to me and more 'prestigious' Please give me a heads up, or any tips etc.

I'm doubting my abilities as an artist, I don't know what to bring or anything along those lines. I love a semi realistic cartoon style, think animal crossing mashed with Disney. This is what I've been focusing on the past year and although I have life drawings of models and landscapes etc I don't enjoy it as much, consequently I have less of that stuff. I also don't have any big pieces of art, everything is A4 AND below. Just a lot of it. I'm hoping they see my potential as a student and how hard I wish to work, over my matierials and how it's presented.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey

I can totally see why you are nervous about this situation- it's not great that he never got back to you. Are you able to phone the college at all and find out what is going on?

I'm not an expert on art type courses, but I think if you can bring pieces that show your range in terms of style and media that you use that is good, but art foundation years are also about developing you as an artist and expanding your portfolio for uni entry- so don't worry if yours is a bit narrow right now.

I'm going to tag in @CoolCavy because I think she might be able to advise further.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hey

I can totally see why you are nervous about this situation- it's not great that he never got back to you. Are you able to phone the college at all and find out what is going on?

I'm not an expert on art type courses, but I think if you can bring pieces that show your range in terms of style and media that you use that is good, but art foundation years are also about developing you as an artist and expanding your portfolio for uni entry- so don't worry if yours is a bit narrow right now.

I'm going to tag in @CoolCavy because I think she might be able to advise further.

Hey,

Thanks so much for replying. I got accepted on the foundation course last year, so I have to apply separately this year but obviously it's still the same tutor that teaches the class. I'm just hoping they will be forgiving as I'm constantly comparing it to what other students are going to be showing (big A2 size portfolios), the fact I'm an older student may justify no large final pieces.

I'm just anxious about the whole scenario, if I don't get accepted I'll be really insulted (as its just a basic college really) and I'll also be kinda lost on what to do next.

I've made sure to incorpate life drawings in charcoal and pencil, as I work with water colour on my character designs. I also love photography but I'm unsure if I should put some of my photos in my portfolio to.
Original post by Goodnoodle
Hey,

Thanks so much for replying. I got accepted on the foundation course last year, so I have to apply separately this year but obviously it's still the same tutor that teaches the class. I'm just hoping they will be forgiving as I'm constantly comparing it to what other students are going to be showing (big A2 size portfolios), the fact I'm an older student may justify no large final pieces.

I'm just anxious about the whole scenario, if I don't get accepted I'll be really insulted (as its just a basic college really) and I'll also be kinda lost on what to do next.

I've made sure to incorpate life drawings in charcoal and pencil, as I work with water colour on my character designs. I also love photography but I'm unsure if I should put some of my photos in my portfolio to.

I can understand being anxious about it- but in general, colleges don't invite people to things like this in order to reject them. It sounds like you have a good range of things in your portfolio- if it's not size limited, I would include some photos too.

Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I can understand being anxious about it- but in general, colleges don't invite people to things like this in order to reject them. It sounds like you have a good range of things in your portfolio- if it's not size limited, I would include some photos too.

Good Luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I'm doing this by myself so any sort of consolation or validation for the future means a lot. 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Goodnoodle
Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I'm doing this by myself so any sort of consolation or validation for the future means a lot. 😊

No problem.

If you check out the Art and Design university courses sub-forum, I'm sure you can find others to chat to in the same boat too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending