The Student Room Group

What to do After GCSEs?

Dear TSR Forum,

I opted for Chemistry , Biology and Maths fro A Levels but after todays result my school is not getting me admisson in my desired subjects due to overall point requeirements, I got 53 points and they need 56

So I now I have chnaged my sujects to Maths, Advanced Maths and Computing as I have no other option.

I am a perplex whether this combination of sujbects is good , ( I am good at Maths scored 8 in GCSE) I have not taken computing in GCSEs

Also please if somene can help me that with combination of these subjects which Univesity programs I can make opt after completing A levels.

Thanks in advance
Do you ean further maths?

And they are good subjects, but what do you want to do in the future? They aren't going to be good subjects if you wanted to go into medicine, for example
Original post by Bill Nye
Do you ean further maths?

And they are good subjects, but what do you want to do in the future? They aren't going to be good subjects if you wanted to go into medicine, for example

Yes I meant Further Maths,

I know its a change of the career, but I have no idea that after passing my A Levels in these sugjects which University courses I can take ( which are the best courses and the Universities)

Is there any scope of these subjects in future?
Original post by helpintransfer
Yes I meant Further Maths,

I know its a change of the career, but I have no idea that after passing my A Levels in these sugjects which University courses I can take ( which are the best courses and the Universities)

Is there any scope of these subjects in future?

Maths, computer science (and related courses eg computing, computer systems engineering, cyber security, etc), some engineering courses that don't need physics (although alot do), and then pretty much any other subject that doesn't require certain subjects

Obviously I've not said eveything you can do, but they are just the first lot that come into my mind
What would you advise? :h:
Dear TSR Forum,

I opted for Chemistry , Biology and Maths fro A Levels but after todays result my school is not getting me admisson in my desired subjects due to overall point requeirements, I got 53 points and they need 56

So I now I have chnaged my sujects to Maths, Advanced Maths and Computing as I have no other option.

I am a perplex whether this combination of sujbects is good , ( I am good at Maths scored 8 in GCSE) I have not taken computing in GCSEs

Also please if somene can help me that with combination of these subjects which Univesity programs I can make opt after completing A levels.

Thanks in advance

Hi there

Congratulations on your results in Maths!

This is certainly a combination of results which compliment each other.

For the university course it's often a good idea to think about where you would like to be when you finally settle into a career, after all it is 3 years and a lot of money to commit to university, thinking about your ultimate goal and working backwards can help to make sure you are choosing the best course to get you where you would like to be.

Did you have any careers or industries you would like to work in in mind?

If you would like to get back to me I'll try to give you a little more specific advice but if not you could always call the Exam Results Helpline on 0800 100 900. They are open 8am to 10pm every day and you can talk through your ideas with an experienced adviser who can also help you to plan your next steps based on where you would like to be.

I hope this helps!
Rosy
Dear TSR Forum,

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I very much agree with NCS, that group of subjects seem to very much compliment each other. As it has already mentioned, this combination leans very much towards the mathematical, computational and computer sciences - such as maths (and all its combinations), computer science, cyber security etc.

In terms of finding programs, I would agree with the pointers previous, as you should look for a university program you will hopefully enjoy for the next 3-4 years, as these programs are those which you will both enjoy but also succeed at, as you will want to put in the extra effort!

Personally I initially began on the UCAS website, generally search through with generalist terms (like looking at just Maths) and seeing what interests you that way! Then you can narrow based on entry requirements! Given these set of subjects also I would potentially suggest apprenticeships as there are some which are maths driven.

Overall, you should look for something you feel you will do well and enjoy for the coming 3-4 years. For more specifics on courses, I would suggest speaking also with your high school/college advisor on these areas as they may be best to highlight more specific local and national programmes that we may have missed!

I hope this helps
Tom :smile:

Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there

Congratulations on your results in Maths!

This is certainly a combination of results which compliment each other.

For the university course it's often a good idea to think about where you would like to be when you finally settle into a career, after all it is 3 years and a lot of money to commit to university, thinking about your ultimate goal and working backwards can help to make sure you are choosing the best course to get you where you would like to be.

Did you have any careers or industries you would like to work in in mind?

If you would like to get back to me I'll try to give you a little more specific advice but if not you could always call the Exam Results Helpline on 0800 100 900. They are open 8am to 10pm every day and you can talk through your ideas with an experienced adviser who can also help you to plan your next steps based on where you would like to be.

I hope this helps!
Rosy

Thanks for your detailed reply
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

I very much agree with NCS, that group of subjects seem to very much compliment each other. As it has already mentioned, this combination leans very much towards the mathematical, computational and computer sciences - such as maths (and all its combinations), computer science, cyber security etc.

In terms of finding programs, I would agree with the pointers previous, as you should look for a university program you will hopefully enjoy for the next 3-4 years, as these programs are those which you will both enjoy but also succeed at, as you will want to put in the extra effort!

Personally I initially began on the UCAS website, generally search through with generalist terms (like looking at just Maths) and seeing what interests you that way! Then you can narrow based on entry requirements! Given these set of subjects also I would potentially suggest apprenticeships as there are some which are maths driven.

Overall, you should look for something you feel you will do well and enjoy for the coming 3-4 years. For more specifics on courses, I would suggest speaking also with your high school/college advisor on these areas as they may be best to highlight more specific local and national programmes that we may have missed!

I hope this helps
Tom :smile:

Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador

Thanks for your detailed reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending