The Student Room Group

Should I get free prescriptions? Can I get a refund?

For the last few years, age 18-23 I have been severely unwell and paying for prescriptions using the pre paid method (£30 every 3 months)

I am 23 years old

I have been in full time education for 5 years

I had a part time job during uni

I never paid tax out of my wage

I received student loans during my degree

I am due to receive more student finance for my masters

I am receiving enhanced daily living PIP

I currently work full time and earn 1300 max per month

I have seen my GP and other professionals regularly for 10 years

I was signed off work sick by my GP for 6 months and have doctors notes as evidence

Am I entitled to free prescriptions?
Am I eligible for a refund?
No, but you are entitled to a discount I believe, you need to fill one out, can get them from pharmacies or online.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
No, but you are entitled to a discount I believe, you need to fill one out, can get them from pharmacies or online.

Thank you! Where should I look online and what form?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! Where should I look online and what form?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/

Think they were HC1/HC2 forms.
Reply 4

Are you sure I am eligible? I earn 1300 per month and receive 340 PIP plus student finance
I think you are because you are full time student and I think it's better if you call them and confirm it as it will be better
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
For the last few years, age 18-23 I have been severely unwell and paying for prescriptions using the pre paid method (£30 every 3 months)

I am 23 years old

I have been in full time education for 5 years

I had a part time job during uni

I never paid tax out of my wage

I received student loans during my degree

I am due to receive more student finance for my masters

I am receiving enhanced daily living PIP

I currently work full time and earn 1300 max per month

I have seen my GP and other professionals regularly for 10 years

I was signed off work sick by my GP for 6 months and have doctors notes as evidence

Am I entitled to free prescriptions?
Am I eligible for a refund?

This page explains who can get free prescriptions on the NHS. You can check it to see if any of it applies to you.
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/

From what I can tell you would not be eligible for any except perhaps the medical exemption (depending on your specific medical condition/s).
Although you are a full time student you are not under 19 so can't be exempt due to that.
Although you claim PIP you aren't claiming any income related benefits and are earning your own money so I don't believe you qualify for exemption under any of those reasons.

If you are eligible for medical (or any other) exemption I believe you may be able to back track that a certain amount meaning you could be refunded the amount you paid fro prescriptions in that time.

It appears though that unless you have one of those specific conditions that pre-payment is your best bet.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest