The Student Room Group

Biomedical sciences at the Uob vs medicine at the university of nicosia

Hi. So I'm in a weird position right now. I have an offer from Bristol university to study biomedical sciences which I firmly accepted . I also accepted my accomodation offer last week. My goal was to study medicine in the UK but didnt go as planned during the interviews(I got 3). I have now been given a chance to study medicine at the university of nicosia which cooperates with saint georges uni of london. The thing is I took both a levels and pancyprian exams in order to study in the uk, I dont know the level of the uni as requirements seem quite low, since i'e already accepted the accomdation offer I must pay the 7000£ cost. I also made the student loan. lastly, i know that this should not concern me but my boyfiend of almost five years is going to study in england too.
Original post by Hero_Lou
Hi. So I'm in a weird position right now. I have an offer from Bristol university to study biomedical sciences which I firmly accepted . I also accepted my accomodation offer last week. My goal was to study medicine in the UK but didnt go as planned during the interviews(I got 3). I have now been given a chance to study medicine at the university of nicosia which cooperates with saint georges uni of london. The thing is I took both a levels and pancyprian exams in order to study in the uk, I dont know the level of the uni as requirements seem quite low, since i'e already accepted the accomdation offer I must pay the 7000£ cost. I also made the student loan. lastly, i know that this should not concern me but my boyfiend of almost five years is going to study in england too.

Maybe this will be of use
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Reply 2

Well Cyprus is not even a choice there.
Are you a national or international student (from the UK or not) - you might think this doesn't matter but from what I've heard international students that study abroad in places like Czech or Bulgaria etc will have a harder time when trying to get picked for rotations in countries like the UK, USA etc (I'm not an expert, just basing on what I've heard from medical students) - I've heard its not as terrible for national students

Also is there an option to transfer from the first year of biomedical to first-year medicine? I know some universities allow this, although it's very competitive, so I'd keep that in mind (they may make the judgment with taking into account your A level grades even - which doesn't make sense to me) A friend of mine studying at Bristol was in a similar position to you and now she's doing biomedical, will complete 3 years then transfer to medicine for 4 years (look into that)

Have you paid your fee for Bristol already as that might factor in whatever you decide to do. Plus, try to find out the reputation of the Nicosia university and how well their graduates do, along with the course structure and any obstacles you might have to face (would you need to do extra entrance exams if you wanna come back and work in the UK, where is the degree recognized)

What about the possibility of taking a gap year (this depends on how you end of year exam results were (e.g A level) and if you're willing to try the whole interview thing again

Just a disclaimer, I'm not an expert and I'm basing what I say off of what I've heard and what people have told me - basically double check everything, this was just me trying to help
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Are you a national or international student (from the UK or not) - you might think this doesn't matter but from what I've heard international students that study abroad in places like Czech or Bulgaria etc will have a harder time when trying to get picked for rotations in countries like the UK, USA etc (I'm not an expert, just basing on what I've heard from medical students) - I've heard its not as terrible for national students

Also is there an option to transfer from the first year of biomedical to first-year medicine? I know some universities allow this, although it's very competitive, so I'd keep that in mind (they may make the judgment with taking into account your A level grades even - which doesn't make sense to me) A friend of mine studying at Bristol was in a similar position to you and now she's doing biomedical, will complete 3 years then transfer to medicine for 4 years (look into that)

Have you paid your fee for Bristol already as that might factor in whatever you decide to do. Plus, try to find out the reputation of the Nicosia university and how well their graduates do, along with the course structure and any obstacles you might have to face (would you need to do extra entrance exams if you wanna come back and work in the UK, where is the degree recognized)

What about the possibility of taking a gap year (this depends on how you end of year exam results were (e.g A level) and if you're willing to try the whole interview thing again

Just a disclaimer, I'm not an expert and I'm basing what I say off of what I've heard and what people have told me - basically double check everything, this was just me trying to help

I'm from Cyprus actually. I dont think Bristol offers that option tbh.. I havent paid any fees as I took the EU loan..And I dont like the idea of gap year ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending