The Student Room Group

Help with appealing RAF medical

I dislocated my shoulder at the end of May this year. I have been very honest and upfront about it since applying for the RAF. I attended my medical last week and went through the motions and then towards the end the doctor asked me if I have had any breakages or dislocations and I said yes I dislocated my shoulder may this year. I have been fully discharged from my physio and consultant and have full range of movement back. The doctor agreed with me and proceeded to type up my consultant letter. He then stopped and pulled out a large file and flicked through until he got to a page that stated:
‘All candidates must wait 12 months from dislocation / operation before they can proceed with their application.’
The doctor said he was so sorry as this was a policy and if there was anything he could do he would but there wasn’t. He said that apart from this policy I am fully fit and healthy but I will have to wait until May 2019 to proceed with my application. I felt distraught as I had already waited 9 months for my application to open.
I rang my recruitment office today and she said that I have grounds to appeal because I have been fully discharged and the percentage of re dislocation is low.
Has anyone appealed before?
What should I write?
Have you been successful with your appeal?

Many thanks
:-)
Reply 1
Speaking from experience, the majority of staff in the careers office aren't medical experts, and even with those with medical training have to stick to what they can say as a recruiter. They don't see your records, so they don't know to say something as specific as you've a low chance of redislocation.

That said, if you want to appeal, all you can do is present facts. Stick to stating you have been discharged by your consultant and physio and have a full range of movement. Don't use the anecdote from the careers office.

It's on a case-by-case basis, so it doesn't matter how other people have managed their appeals. It's enough to say that those who are successful in getting the decision changed present new information, such as a misdiagnosis or a mistake in their medical records. Just bear in mind you're not doing that, you are asking the RAF to go against policy. There will be people applying that meet all the requirements so they can afford to be choosy.
Reply 2
Original post by Sophiiaa_91
I dislocated my shoulder at the end of May this year. I have been very honest and upfront about it since applying for the RAF. I attended my medical last week and went through the motions and then towards the end the doctor asked me if I have had any breakages or dislocations and I said yes I dislocated my shoulder may this year. I have been fully discharged from my physio and consultant and have full range of movement back. The doctor agreed with me and proceeded to type up my consultant letter. He then stopped and pulled out a large file and flicked through until he got to a page that stated:
‘All candidates must wait 12 months from dislocation / operation before they can proceed with their application.’
The doctor said he was so sorry as this was a policy and if there was anything he could do he would but there wasn’t. He said that apart from this policy I am fully fit and healthy but I will have to wait until May 2019 to proceed with my application. I felt distraught as I had already waited 9 months for my application to open.
I rang my recruitment office today and she said that I have grounds to appeal because I have been fully discharged and the percentage of re dislocation is low.
What should I write?

Many thanks

You can appeal, but the process is almost always painfully slow, so I very much doubt you'd actually get anywhere before May rolled around again.

Use the time to get as got as you possibly can and just reapply 'normally'.
I know how keen you are, but if it's there, black-and-white, in a policy then you're wasting your time appealing it. Set yourself on applying once the year's up. Until then - work, train, stay fit and motivated and you'll be in a great place come May. Good luck.
What should I write?

Many thanks

Hi

As has already been stated, you can appeal, but as it's in policy you may need to wait until the 12 month period is up anyway even if you do.

Can I ask which role you have applied for? That can have an impact on when you re-apply. It may mean you can submit your application prior to the May date so you're ready for the medical at that point, for example.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 5
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

As has already been stated, you can appeal, but as it's in policy you may need to wait until the 12 month period is up anyway even if you do.

Can I ask which role you have applied for? That can have an impact on when you re-apply. It may mean you can submit your application prior to the May date so you're ready for the medical at that point, for example.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

I am applying for student nurse. I didn’t know if it was possible to carry on my application process and do the fitness test and interviews then wait till May for my limited medical?
Hi,
I recently got stated as permanently unfit for service on the 9th of August, I instantly appealed and on the 18th of August the decision was overturned. On the letter it said the my local AFCO would book a full medical examination, however it is the 12th of September and I haven’t hear s single thing. Do you know how long if usually takes for them to get back in touch?
Kind regards
I am applying for student nurse. I didn’t know if it was possible to carry on my application process and do the fitness test and interviews then wait till May for my limited medical?

Hi

Unfortunately not, you'll need to be passed medically fit before doing your fitness test. So you will need to wait until you're passed the 12 month point or have had a successful appeal.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by Chrislunn09
Hi,
I recently got stated as permanently unfit for service on the 9th of August, I instantly appealed and on the 18th of August the decision was overturned. On the letter it said the my local AFCO would book a full medical examination, however it is the 12th of September and I haven’t hear s single thing. Do you know how long if usually takes for them to get back in touch?
Kind regards

Hi

I'd advise you to contact your AFCO to check. Have you checked in your candidate portal? Has there been any messages sent to you in there?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi,

Yes I’ve checked into my portal and every now and then it says that this page does not exist? And if I refresh the page it logs me on. And there doesn’t seem to be anything there so I might give my AFCO a call soon

Kind regards

Quick Reply

Latest