The Student Room Group

Grants and funding for studying with a child

All the grants available are for full-time students. I am taking a part-time course, however when taking into account recommended study time per module, class time and extra 1-2-1 support (plus the 25% extra time I take to study because of my learning disabilities, based on 25% extra time given on exams for disability) This comes up to full-time I believe...

Lesson time = 2 hours x2 pw (4)
Study time = 6 hours x2 pw (12)
1-2-1 tuition = 1 hour pw
25% extra study time = 1.5 hours x2 pw (3)

All = 20 hours

I know this is classed as full time in studying.
The reason I ask is because for council tax exemption for students, you need to be full-time, and the CAB pointed out that the university can sign their form to say you are full time when taking into account study time etc, so I was granted it. Would the below grants follow the same allowances or are they stricter as it is nationally distributed compared to local council tax?

Adults Dependant's Grant
Parents Learning Allowance
Childcare Grant

I basically need to put my 3 month old in child care two/three times a week whilst in uni, and I am currently unable to work due to mental health (awaiting PIP) but am still classed as on maternity leave. So was looking at what financial funding options I have (not inc. SFE masters loan)

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending