The Student Room Group

Sciences Po International Security

Hi all,

I am going to apply for a Masters at Sciences Po. I would love to do the International Security program but I always thought the program is designed for people with work experience in the field of international security. However, I can't really seem to find that information anymore. Can someone tell me if that is true or not (because I don't have work experience in this field)?

Oh, and if you're reading this and have some more knowledge about the odds of being accepted at Sciences Po (or IHEID Geneva, as I will apply for the Master in International Affairs too - LSE probably not because I cannot afford it), could you possibly say something about my chances? This is because I highly doubt if I have done enough to be admitted.

3rd year Bachelor Political Science, University of Amsterdam
The main thing that will make me stand out is my very high GPA (8.7/10 while a 7.5/10 is required), tbh don't know anyone of my degree who has a higher GPA than me.
Extracurriculars is pretty okay, things like board member, MUNs, representative of my university at a several conferences, etc.
Done a few community involvement things (like a very short internship at development organization, some collaboration with another local development organization during my time at high school, things like that).
I speak quite some languages and studied one semester in Australia.
The main thing I am concerned about is my lack of work experience. Except for an internship at a pretty ok IR research institute in Australia (including own publication) I don't really have anything impressive to tell there.

Any information or feedback is welcome - thanks a lot guys!

Edit: so to sum up, I come straight from my Bachelor's degree (which is not from Harvard or Oxbridge or anything prestigious) without any 'real' work experience, will that be a big disadvantage? Thanks again
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I know some alumni at PSIA International Sec. and both did not have prior security work experience. It is a pre-experience master's. Though A worked full time for an international organisation prior to SP and had a humanities BA/MA degree. B completed a politics bachelor like you and worked as an unpaid summer intern for a NGO (fund raising, minor research, project assistance, event organisation). Like you, he was active at uni's student clubs/assembly. B applied in final yr and was admitted straight from undergrad. I think you are realistic in yr evaluation of strengths (GPA, relevant BSc from UvA, semester abroad, MUN, own publication with research institute). The only minor weakness relative to other applicants may be lack of work experience. You have the option to take the third semester at PSIA as an internship and receive 30 credit points. Most students take the professional option.

Don't worry about non Ivy, most students come from normal unis. GPA matters more and schools give credit to student clubs such as MUN, student assembly. Relevant work/internship in security is more difficult to land than other topics as in some countries you need to obtain a security clearance with a long background check that takes many months. Maybe try to write a BSc thesis on a security topic, B wrote about early warning codes and crisis management of home office to terror threat. Make sure to have good letters of recommendation and statement of purpose to show why the programme is a good fit.

IHEID really looks closely at grades and work experience. You will see at class profile in report that average age of entering students are mid 20s rather 22. How is yr French? though English taught MA, some modules are offered in French. With fluent French, you will have more choices.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tcannon
I know some alumni at PSIA International Sec. and both did not have prior security work experience. It is a pre-experience master's. Though A worked full time for an international organisation prior to SP and had a humanities BA/MA degree. B completed a politics bachelor like you and worked as an unpaid summer intern for a NGO (fund raising, minor research, project assistance, event organisation). Like you, he was active at uni's student clubs/assembly. B applied in final yr and was admitted straight from undergrad. I think you are realistic in yr evaluation of strengths (GPA, relevant BSc from UvA, semester abroad, MUN, own publication with research institute). The only minor weakness relative to other applicants may be lack of work experience. You have the option to take the third semester at PSIA as an internship and receive 30 credit points. Most students take the professional option.

Don't worry about non Ivy, most students come from normal unis. GPA matters more and schools give credit to student clubs such as MUN, student assembly. Relevant work/internship in security is more difficult to land than other topics as in some countries you need to obtain a security clearance with a long background check that takes many months. Maybe try to write a BSc thesis on a security topic, B wrote about early warning codes and crisis management of home office to terror threat. Make sure to have good letters of recommendation and statement of purpose to show why the programme is a good fit.

IHEID really looks closely at grades and work experience. You will see at class profile in report that average age of entering students are mid 20s rather 22. How is yr French? though English taught MA, some modules are offered in French. With fluent French, you will have more choices.

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

I speak English and Dutch fluently, German and Spanish pretty ok and only basic knowledge of French. Absolutely willing to improve my French though.
Yes it is a good idea to write my thesis on a security topic. I am planning on applying asap once applications open, so I won't have started by then though (but can still mention what I am planning to write about).

So good to know that there is still a possibility to be admitted without relevant work experience.

Thanks again!!
Reply 3
Did you make it? (Just curious, I want to apply after I complete my bachelors)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending