The Student Room Group

Grade Requirements vs Actual Grades (my grades were far below what I need)

What is the maximum deviation that the university has offered you a place? The course I want to apply to is asking for a BCC or ABB (depending on the uni but there's only 2), but I got a CCD at A-Level, and I'm hoping that there'll be someway that I can go through this without having to take a foundation course/access course or give up on my dreams all together.

Background info:
I'm 21 (soon 22) and on a gap year right now to gather some funds up for university (due to living with my mother, siblings and her boyfriend who earns a shed load, [they've been together since I was 5?? IDK a long time] but refuses to aid me financially despite his income affecting my grant), but, I've wanted to study Korean, (I've been teaching myself for 7 years, but due to school, full time work and college I've had to restart from scratch several times) as well as English, in hopes of becoming an English teacher, and learning another language in which I can possibly pursue a career in teaching both.
Wanting to study Korean and English limits me to two universities, UCLAN and SOAS. And as I really don't want to study in Central London, despite it being so much closer and thus cheaper to get to from home, but I'll take it. Honestly because I'm limited here.
My issue is that UCLAN offer a place on their Korean and English (lit or lang I love them both equally) at a BCC or 104 UCAS points, whilst SOAS offer the course at an ABB.
Due to mental health issues, changing jobs which proceeded in me working 40 hours a week alongside full time college, and a mix of technical (my laptop crashed and had to be restored to a backup a year later, meaning I lost all my coursework 1.5 months before the turn in date) and family issues, I spent a lot of time off sick from college.
I then had a meeting with the head because of my attendance, and after explaining my situation, which included 3 suicide attempts due to the stress of college, health issues, work, family, bullying etc. and begging for them to exchange my course to the Access Course in February so I could have a fresh start (at the time the course was starting in 3 weeks), they offered no help, and subsequently refused the change in course, due to the fact that at 17 (mid way through the first year), after excessive bullying within the Childcare course that I was on, after a teacher outed my mental and physical health issues to the class, as well as mocking my weight and subsequent abuse from a colleague at my placement due to these mental health issues, that another student had informed them of as they were also doing their placement at the establishment, I decided to leave. This meant that I would have left two college courses, despite the head admitting that my departure of the first course was down to the faculty members mistakes (she was fired the year I left).
The college refuses me to be allowed to retake my exams for two of my subjects, to up my grades as they've stopped offering A-Levels and don't accept external students, and won't give me help in applying for university beyond paying for and sending off my application there. Due to having my appendix removed after it rupturing the week of results day, I was unable to collect my results and thus was also unable to apply for the Access Course this september, as I didn't get them until almost a week later, and they wanted to know whether I was going to join that course on results day at the latest.
At this point in my life, and Korean course being 4 years, I don't want to have to return NEXT year to college or do a foundation year, and hold off my life for another year. I'm 21, and I feel already so far behind where I'd hoped I would be, and I'm wholly determined to get to where I want to be in life. But adding another year to that, when I'll still have to study for at least another 1 year + to gain a QTS, and then another year to gain a TESOL if I decide to move and teach in Korea (which is why I imho have to do the year abroad as I can't make an informed decision about uprooting my entire life and living there forever without being there at all). I'm at a loss of what to do at the moment, without any idea as to whether I have even the smallest shot of being accepted into this course.
If you've got complicated personal circumstances, you do really need to contact universities directly as they will be considered on a case by case basis.

Usually I'd say you'd struggle to get a place at a uni asking for ABB with CCD, but given your circumstances some unis may be more lenient. Usually unis won't discount their offer by more than 3 grades (so ABB down to BCC) and this is much more common in clearing than in the main application cycle, but their are exceptions.

It may also depend on whether the uni is struggling to fill the course or not.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you've got complicated personal circumstances, you do really need to contact universities directly as they will be considered on a case by case basis.

Usually I'd say you'd struggle to get a place at a uni asking for ABB with CCD, but given your circumstances some unis may be more lenient. Usually unis won't discount their offer by more than 3 grades (so ABB down to BCC) and this is much more common in clearing than in the main application cycle, but their are exceptions.

It may also depend on whether the uni is struggling to fill the course or not.

Thanks. I'm really at my wits end here. I didn't apply last year whilst doing my A2, as I knew I was spiraling in terms of mental health, etc. and knew it would affect my grades. Now, the stress of only having 2 universities available to apply for that course, and the poor grades, and the inability to do anything about them until next year (unless I can find a relatively local place that will accept me retaking those exams), is even harder. It sucks. I know that both universities (UCLAN and SOAS) Korean and English courses were on clearing this year, but due to Korean becoming more popular thanks to the further explosion of Kpop's popularity, it's not guaranteed they're going to struggle for applicants next year too.
Original post by jungshooks
Thanks. I'm really at my wits end here. I didn't apply last year whilst doing my A2, as I knew I was spiraling in terms of mental health, etc. and knew it would affect my grades. Now, the stress of only having 2 universities available to apply for that course, and the poor grades, and the inability to do anything about them until next year (unless I can find a relatively local place that will accept me retaking those exams), is even harder. It sucks. I know that both universities (UCLAN and SOAS) Korean and English courses were on clearing this year, but due to Korean becoming more popular thanks to the further explosion of Kpop's popularity, it's not guaranteed they're going to struggle for applicants next year too.

Doing an access course is always a possibility. Have you thought about that?
Reply 4
Original post by super_kawaii
Doing an access course is always a possibility. Have you thought about that?

Yeah but I'd still have to wait until next year now either way. I would have been on it this year, but I was in hospital over results day, and that day was the day I had to inform them whether I needed to join the course or not, but I didn't get my results until the Tuesday the following week as that was when they were next open. So I'd rather try my chances this year too and then see. If I get all out rejections I'll definitely go back to college and take the access course. :/ But at the same time I really don't want to add on another year.
Yeah but I'd still have to wait until next year now either way. I would have been on it this year, but I was in hospital over results day, and that day was the day I had to inform them whether I needed to join the course or not, but I didn't get my results until the Tuesday the following week as that was when they were next open. So I'd rather try my chances this year too and then see. If I get all out rejections I'll definitely go back to college and take the access course. :/ But at the same time I really don't want to add on another year.

There's nothing wrong with taking time out-your health is a priority. I was in the School of East Asian Studies at Sheffield (they offer Korean, but not Korean with English unfortunately) and we had so many students coming in with access courses.

Uni's are getting stricter with entry requirements for Korean, especially considering the Hallyu Wave. Last year, no one got accepted for Korean at Sheffield with less than the advertised ABB due to numbers.
Reply 6
There's nothing wrong with taking time out-your health is a priority. I was in the School of East Asian Studies at Sheffield (they offer Korean, but not Korean with English unfortunately) and we had so many students coming in with access courses.

Uni's are getting stricter with entry requirements for Korean, especially considering the Hallyu Wave. Last year, no one got accepted for Korean at Sheffield with less than the advertised ABB due to numbers.

My best friend's currently (technically) at Sheffield right now, she's in Seoul studying at Sungkyunkwan University, but according to her some of the students in her class got offered a place with results lower than asking (one she complained got 'far lower') but again, with the explosion of the Hallyu wave it's going to get more and more difficult, in the last year alone there's been a massive explosion of recognition and fans meaning more are going to pursue this path. It's a shame they don't offer Korean with English, I really truly enjoyed the university, the tandem partners are amazing, and some were truly lovely, and their resources given to students are really easy to study with (she sent me almost all of them). The maintenance guys in her block however, are incredibly rude which was literally the only downside.

On the other hand, Korean becoming more popular might mean more unis starting to offer it. Also, in general, next year will be one of the least competitive years for uni entry there has been in a long time- but of course specific courses/unis may buck this trend.
My best friend's currently (technically) at Sheffield right now, she's in Seoul studying at Sungkyunkwan University, but according to her some of the students in her class got offered a place with results lower than asking (one she complained got 'far lower':wink: but again, with the explosion of the Hallyu wave it's going to get more and more difficult, in the last year alone there's been a massive explosion of recognition and fans meaning more are going to pursue this path. It's a shame they don't offer Korean with English, I really truly enjoyed the university, the tandem partners are amazing, and some were truly lovely, and their resources given to students are really easy to study with (she sent me almost all of them). The maintenance guys in her block however, are incredibly rude which was literally the only downside.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people in 2nd year have dropped out already, because they just couldn't hack it. They started the year with around 70-80 students and by April, they were already down to around 45. Have to make sure you're really into Korea and learning Korean for the right reasons. The courses at Sheffield are intense (definitely a lot more intense language wise than UCLan) which does trip up people a lot
Reply 9
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people in 2nd year have dropped out already, because they just couldn't hack it. They started the year with around 70-80 students and by April, they were already down to around 45. Have to make sure you're really into Korea and learning Korean for the right reasons. The courses at Sheffield are intense (definitely a lot more intense language wise than UCLan) which does trip up people a lot

I know, my friend was 1 mark off on a subject, which means she wouldn't have been able to go to Korea had she not luckily emailed and been granted a single mark increase. But yeah, she's planning on dropping out this year (or after this year), but she's met a guy in Korea, so she's staying for the moment, she was gonna go home after she spent a week there, but even then as much as I love her I don't think she'll last due to the intensity of the course and her lack of studying beyond listening to certain Hallyu artists.
But yeah, I've done extensive research on Korean culture and history and I'm trying my best to learn Korean in my spare time. TTMIK lessons for grammar and pronunciation, a dictionary for vocabulary and duolingo for on the go, as well as a few resources she's sent me, and using dramas/songs/movies etc to practice my comprehension and understanding. I know it's not gonna be easy no matter which course I (hopefully) get into, but I do know from another (kinda) friend that I met at KCon in 2016, that UCLAN seems to be the most relaxed and less intense course out of the three uni's. But at the same time their year abroad is in the 3rd year, which whilst gives you more classroom time learning Korean, I know the best proficiency and capability tends to stem from being immersed in the language (aka. going to Korea). But as a plus side (or negative) of UCLAN, their partnerships stem throughout the whole of Korea, as said Kcon friend was situated in Busan, with her best friends were in Jeju. Whilst with SOAS and Sheff you're guaranteed to be studying in Seoul (which is a major plus side because you don't have to worry about issues with dialect / satoori) as well as having to catch the KTX/travelling to other parts of the country.
I know, my friend was 1 mark off on a subject, which means she wouldn't have been able to go to Korea had she not luckily emailed and been granted a single mark increase. But yeah, she's planning on dropping out this year (or after this year), but she's met a guy in Korea, so she's staying for the moment, she was gonna go home after she spent a week there, but even then as much as I love her I don't think she'll last due to the intensity of the course and her lack of studying beyond listening to certain Hallyu artists.
But yeah, I've done extensive research on Korean culture and history and I'm trying my best to learn Korean in my spare time. TTMIK lessons for grammar and pronunciation, a dictionary for vocabulary and duolingo for on the go, as well as a few resources she's sent me, and using dramas/songs/movies etc to practice my comprehension and understanding. I know it's not gonna be easy no matter which course I (hopefully) get into, but I do know from another (kinda) friend that I met at KCon in 2016, that UCLAN seems to be the most relaxed and less intense course out of the three uni's. But at the same time their year abroad is in the 3rd year, which whilst gives you more classroom time learning Korean, I know the best proficiency and capability tends to stem from being immersed in the language (aka. going to Korea). But as a plus side (or negative) of UCLAN, their partnerships stem throughout the whole of Korea, as said Kcon friend was situated in Busan, with her best friends were in Jeju. Whilst with SOAS and Sheff you're guaranteed to be studying in Seoul (which is a major plus side because you don't have to worry about issues with dialect / satoori) as well as having to catch the KTX/travelling to other parts of the country.

Yeah, I did Chinese studies at Sheffield which also does the YA in second year and we had students from UCLan at the same university as us and Sheffield kids were just as good if not better in second year than 3rd year UCLan students, as well as 3rd year students from other unis like Manchester, Southampton, Goldsmiths etc. Thats the kind of level expected at Sheffield. AFAIK, passing TOPIK 4 is a requirement to pass the year abroad and advance onto 3rd year for Korean studies. You'd definitely get the highest level of language ability at Sheffield.
Reply 11
Yeah, I did Chinese studies at Sheffield which also does the YA in second year and we had students from UCLan at the same university as us and Sheffield kids were just as good if not better in second year than 3rd year UCLan students, as well as 3rd year students from other unis like Manchester, Southampton, Goldsmiths etc. Thats the kind of level expected at Sheffield. AFAIK, passing TOPIK 4 is a requirement to pass the year abroad and advance onto 3rd year for Korean studies. You'd definitely get the highest level of language ability at Sheffield.

Hopefully they may begin offering Korean with English at some point. I'd love to go to Sheffield because I know it's intense and really well done and there's plenty of support to those who go and ask for it, and the tandem partner scheme is pretty unique to Sheffield and something I'm really interested in getting on board with. I'm not afraid of the hard work it takes, I'm actually excited for it, and hopefully with this year off and just working and studying myself, I'll have at least a small leg up to help. I'm aware TTMIK etc. isn't great, but it's good for being free and I've got several apps for the TOPIK exam already. It's honestly such a shame. But I hold out more hopes for SOAS even though despite it being in london and the grade requirements, I feel SOAS will be better than UCLAN, but I have more of a chance in getting into UCLAN. I've also been looking into doing TaLK (Teach and Learn in Korea) during uni and then EPIK (English Program in Korea) once fully graduated and got at least my teaching degree. My only issue is that I got into Korean due to their education system (it's mental and I love it), history, and how nice the language sounds around 10 years ago, and then even more so after I got into the whole Hallyu culture around 6 years ago. But I don't want to limit myself just to Korean, on the basis that I may change my mind, and want to stay in England, (because family) but the teaching thing is a /must/. It's just a whole big question mark right now with only 2 universities. But I think I'm just going to apply there this year anyway. Hopefully my personal statement can pull up some kind of wow-factor enough for them to consider me, at least. If I'm rejected all out I can just go through clearing or go back to do the Access.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending