The Student Room Group

do u still honestly think uni was worth it after graduated

lets be 100

i looked at my student finance balance after graduated and its staggering figure i owe. sure we can say 30 years this gotta earn that but still thats insane amount of money one questions who could it possibly be worth it for
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Yeah.
Reply 2
It is for me. Can't (won't) speak for anybody else.
Original post by gjd800
It is for me. Can't (won't) speak for anybody else.

in what way
For the experience yes but for landing me jobs, not so much, I just don't think my degree was worth much in terms of roles after and the skills it taught me.
Reply 5
Haven't graduated yet (about to start 2nd year) but I know I'll regret it in the end. One of the main reasons why I'm here is for the social life, one which I could mostly get outside of Uni; is that worth being £40k+ in debt for?

I want to become a firefighter after uni (Or Army combat medic if that fails), do I really need a degree in Chemistry for that?
Reply 6
Original post by steamed hams
in what way

It has got me pretty much where I want to be, so it has all been worth it.
yes.
I don't consider the financial cost, because if I pay it off, I pay off. If I don't, I don't. My History degree has already opened doors that I wouldn't have had otherwise, and given me the opportunity to go abroad for my second year, as well as having fantastic experiences in which I grew as a person, gained life skills, played American Football for the university (not very well, lol), lived independently, and made a lot of friends. So, in short, yes. It is still worth it.

I was almost put off when they tripled the fees. Not having the maintenance grant in my third year, was very difficult.

The payoff for a degree comes later. I might not have found my ideal job -- I want to get on a PGCE course and become a teacher -- it's a route that wouldn't have been open without my degree. There have been times where I have been a bit down and disheartened, but I just have to keep plugging away and making things happen with my degree. It will come good.
I really don't understand why people fuss so much about how much you have to pay when you have a loan. Any other loan, you have to pay immediately, but this one waits until you're earning a decent wage and then the amount that comes out of each pay packet is pittance compared to everything else. Even if you worked for 30 years on the £25K salary, you likely wouldn't pay it all back anyway and it'd get written off. If your degree doesn't get you to a well paid career, then there's nothing to pay. Would you rather not have a degree and have much less chance of getting a well paid career, or have a degree and have that debt, but have more chance of getting paid much more, whilst paying back a small amount each month? You will be paying more in taxes, a mortgage/rent and car finance than you will be for your degree. So yes, it's definitely worth it.
Reply 10
Hello mate, if your looking to pursue a career in the British Army i can help answer any questions you may have as I'm still currently serving. I am looking to go to university next year to study physiotherapy, that's if I can get on my access course which starts this month. If not I won't be able to start the required access course until September next year! I am a mature student currently aged 26, and let me tell you my friend a degree does help in terms of getting a decent job. Do you know how many people I speak to regarding past education, and how they all wished they worked harder when they was that little bit younger. Take it from someone who is only now looking to go to university over the next year or two, and the debt is almost irrelevant. It might look alot, but it's just numbers on paper really. Once you hit 25k you then repay back your loan, so if you earning lets say £33k a year, you would be paying £60 back a month. I think i'll cope with that... It would be a whole different ball game if the loan effected credit scores ect, but thankfully it doesn't and highly doubt it will in the future.
(edited 5 years ago)
The knowledge and student experience have been absolutely priceless.
But the rental costs of living in London, are very high and almost crippled me in my second year as an undergrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending