The Student Room Group

Going to Freshers Fair alone

Would this be awkward? None of my flatmates want to go as they're not interested. I was going to ask if anyone from my course wanted to go in the group chat but idk
I went on my own. There's not a lot there other than people trying to force random societies down yer throat and club people handing you every possible leaflet under the sun.
No I don't think it would be awkward at all, and you have nothing to lose really from asking your coursemates whether they want to go. What university are you going to?
Reply 3
Original post by loginrunner
No I don't think it would be awkward at all, and you have nothing to lose really from asking your coursemates whether they want to go. What university are you going to?

Yeah that's true. I'm at Manchester :smile:

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I went on my own. There's not a lot there other than people trying to force random societies down yer throat and club people handing you every possible leaflet under the sun.

Oh that sounds annoying :redface:

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Would this be awkward? None of my flatmates want to go as they're not interested. I was going to ask if anyone from my course wanted to go in the group chat but idk

Loads of people go alone, there's nothing wrong with it. I always go alone every year for free stuff as well as to casually talk to any society members
Oh that sounds annoying :redface:

Thanks for the reply!

To be fair (hehe fair), it's by far the easiest way to find a decent society once you've politely declined the rowing, Dr Who, Brazilian ju-jitsu and Chinese bible study societies.

And also some of the leaflets have free stuff, and at my uni you'll have people like dominos and tim hortons round giving out vouchers and free food. I suspect it's a strange sponsorship deal to line the uni administration's pockets, but food is food.
It’s probably better on your own so you can go to every stall you’re interested in which would be a little harder in a group.
It's not weird to go on your own if your flat mates don't want to go. Maybe go onto your courses facebook page (if they have one) and just mention that your flat mates don't wanna go and you're seeing if there is anyone who wants to go instead :smile:

No it wouldn't be. Talk to lots of people and make friends!
Reply 9

No its not awkward at all.

I went on my own and bumped into someone there who was also alone and made friends with them that way and we ended up going round the stalls together. Its easier going on your own because you can just go to the stalls that interest you rather than spending time going to ones with friends that you have no interest in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending