The Student Room Group

Advice with predicted grades dilemma?

Not sure which thread this forum goes in, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong one!

Basically, I'm currently sitting my IGCSEs as a private candidate. It's a long irrelevant story but I'm self studying at home for just this year, and the plan was I get my IGCSE grades and apply to sixth forms for next year. However, the sixth forms I asked informed me that they need predicted grades to consider me.

My first thought was to go to the tuition centre that I attend for two hours once a week and get my tutor/teacher to sign her predictions, but apparently, she's not qualified to be a teacher and the sixth form won't accept it from her. They also told me they want a stamp from a school. This would all be fine, if I had a school, or even a teacher.

So, anyone ever been in a similar position? Where do I go to get predicted grades? Thanks in advance!
Original post by lunarr.
Not sure which thread this forum goes in, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong one!

Basically, I'm currently sitting my IGCSEs as a private candidate. It's a long irrelevant story but I'm self studying at home for just this year, and the plan was I get my IGCSE grades and apply to sixth forms for next year. However, the sixth forms I asked informed me that they need predicted grades to consider me.

My first thought was to go to the tuition centre that I attend for two hours once a week and get my tutor/teacher to sign her predictions, but apparently, she's not qualified to be a teacher and the sixth form won't accept it from her. They also told me they want a stamp from a school. This would all be fine, if I had a school, or even a teacher.

So, anyone ever been in a similar position? Where do I go to get predicted grades? Thanks in advance!

I think you are caught in a catch 22 as you cant provide them with what they want.

You might explain to them the issue and that you would accept a conditional offer, but they arent obliged to do this.

The alternative would be to apply once you have results and hope they have space.

Its what comes with falling out of the education system and teaching yourself..

I cant think of anyone other than your tutor that they might accept as being a credible referee.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I think you are caught in a catch 22 as you cant provide them with what they want.

You might explain to them the issue and that you would accept a conditional offer, but they arent obliged to do this.

The alternative would be to apply once you have results and hope they have space.

Its what comes with falling out of the education system and teaching yourself..

I cant think of anyone other than your tutor that they might accept as being a credible referee.

I already asked and they told me that they needed the predicted grades and they "might" consider the tutor's predictions, but didn't want to give me "false hope".

I feel like depending on clearing is risky but, hey ho, not much I can do at this point. I might try seeing if the exam centre (a college) I'm registered to do my GCSE exams at will let me take a mock with them and predict my grades through that or something, but I doubt that. Thank you so much though! I really appreciate the response.
Original post by lunarr.
I already asked and they told me that they needed the predicted grades and they "might" consider the tutor's predictions, but didn't want to give me "false hope".

I feel like depending on clearing is risky but, hey ho, not much I can do at this point. I might try seeing if the exam centre (a college) I'm registered to do my GCSE exams at will let me take a mock with them and predict my grades through that or something, but I doubt that. Thank you so much though! I really appreciate the response.

Send what you can in. nothing to lose. I doubt the college will agree and they would wnat to charge you the exam and invigilation fees all over again i.e £50-150 per GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Send what you can in. nothing to lose. I doubt the college will agree and they would wnat to charge you the exam and invigilation fees all over again i.e £50-150 per GCSE.

Yeah, you're right honestly. I'll ask the college nonetheless- who knows, they might have some mercy :redface:
Reply 5
Anybody else have any advice? I'm caught in quite an issue and I could use all the help I can get :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest