The Student Room Group

Confused about what A-levels to choose

At the beginning of the academic year, I took bio, chem, physics and maths. Now I just take Bi, chem and maths. I feel like I made a terrible choice about dropping physics because I'm passionate about most of the sections (especially particle physics and astrophysics) but if I continued with 4 my grades would have suffered. I also don't think I want to swap subjects because I'm interested in all the sciences. I'm not sure if I'm feeling fearful because I'm limiting myself to 3 specific subjects and I'm a generally very curious person so I would be deeply interested in almost everything. I'm not sure what to do since I can't help imagining about the future and if I could have become a physicist. I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking. Is it worth trying to do 4 a levels again or should I stick with three?

P.S: Sorry about the massive paragraph.
what if you dropped maths instead then?
I am so in the same boat and it hurts. Except I have maths, bio, further maths and chem. And I am REALLY unsure whether to swap bio and physics. So I don't know how this helps but yeah I'm in the same sticky situation. Have any idea what you want to do in the future?
May I ask why physics was the first to be dropped? Also, I totally get that physics may not be the most essential a level, but I feel like it will aid my understanding of chemistry and maybe even maths.
Dont do rash decisions by dropping out early. Just ask if you can stay a bit longer in each class until u can choose.. Read ahead and see the topics of each subject and which would u be least interested in.. After a few more weeks you may decide also
Reply 5
Original post by SudanesePrince
May I ask why physics was the first to be dropped? Also, I totally get that physics may not be the most essential a level, but I feel like it will aid my understanding of chemistry and maybe even maths.

It was dropped since, at the time, I thought that biology, chemistry and maths seemed to be a good combination and I could do a biochemistry-related degree. Also, I guess I was pressured to drop it since I was only really interested in a small chunk of the course. But I really don't know how I feel about a biology or chemistry or even a maths related degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Linalolo
Dont do rash decisions by dropping out early. Just ask if you can stay a bit longer in each class until u can choose.. Read ahead and see the topics of each subject and which would u be least interested in.. After a few more weeks you may decide also

I thought of that but unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to leave it a little longer. My school is the type to heavily discourage doing 4 A levels. Since I wasn't hitting or getting above my target grade in all of my tests so far, I was forced to drop one.
Original post by P.s_Cia
It was dropped since, at the time, I thought that biology, chemistry and maths seemed to be a good combination and I could do a biochemistry-related degree. Also, I guess I was pressured to drop it since I was only really interested in a small chunk of the course. But I really don't know how I feel about a biology or chemistry or even a maths related degree.

Same in a way, I really like the particle physics, the nuclear physics the quantum phenomenon etc. But I start to lose interest when there's talk about certain aspects of mechanics etc.

Is Medicine not a target for you, you sound more than capable. Although I am more than aware of the paradox the Medicine offers.
Reply 8
Original post by SudanesePrince
Same in a way, I really like the particle physics, the nuclear physics the quantum phenomenon etc. But I start to lose interest when there's talk about certain aspects of mechanics etc.

Is Medicine not a target for you, you sound more than capable. Although I am more than aware of the paradox the Medicine offers.

I'm not really interested in doing Medince although the theory part of it is really interesting; I'm more interested in research.
(That sentence seems like a grammatical nightmare. Sorry)
there is sooo many cool research courses out there. Keep chemistry and biology then as you'll need them.. If I were you then I would change maths to physics. Physics will open more career paths for you.
Reply 10
there is sooo many cool research courses out there. Keep chemistry and biology then as you'll need them.. If I were you then I would change maths to physics. Physics will open more career paths for you.

I wish I could take your advice on board because it's good and I thank you for that. If some things could be different at my school I would consider what you've written but the way my school operates is that you're not allowed to do physics if you don't do maths and there are no exceptions.
Loool what is this crappy school!? If I was determined to do physics i would drop maths then and get a tutor for physics or go to another nearby school for physics. Work around the problems they create.
If its really like that and you find you have no other option then stick to biology chemistry and maths... You should not try to do 4 a levels when you reach year 13 as it will become too much. (Its ok to do 4 a levels for a couple of months in year 12, but after that it gets harder). There is mechanics in maths that is sort of physics-y. If you are genuinely really interested I advise talking to a tutor or teacher you actually like... Or go directly to the physics teacher and tell them your situation. You can ask to just sit in the class and listen. What are they gonna do then!?
Reply 13
If its really like that and you find you have no other option then stick to biology chemistry and maths... You should not try to do 4 a levels when you reach year 13 as it will become too much. (Its ok to do 4 a levels for a couple of months in year 12, but after that it gets harder). There is mechanics in maths that is sort of physics-y. If you are genuinely really interested I advise talking to a tutor or teacher you actually like... Or go directly to the physics teacher and tell them your situation. You can ask to just sit in the class and listen. What are they gonna do then!?

I guess I could talk to the head of physics again. I wish I could sit in a classroom and listen but there's probably a rule against that.("safeguarding issues or free periods are for studying your a level subjects only". )
I could always read about the subject and subscribe to physics societies. Not studying it doesn't mean I have to forget about it right? After all I can't study everything I would like but I can still casually or seriously learn about it in my free time.

Anyhow thanks for offering advice and indirectly cheering me up (your tone of writing was quite humourous):h:
so sweet! Honestly dear dont stress about this! A levels are literally for 2 years.. Not much time itll fly by lol. Just cheer up and talk to your teachers and remember theres always a way around it. My friend didnt get grades enough to do further maths so she told the school look ill just get a tutor then and she did then eventually after persistence they allowed her to join the further maths class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending