The Student Room Group

Atheism makes me feel empty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damaris23
Okay yeah I can defintely see ur reasoning for that honestly.
" in the beginning was the word and the word was with God" it all started with God. Our whole living started with God. Okay God was spirit. Think about it God is the alpha and omega beginning and the end. He was the beginning the very beginning and he lives outside space and time ( transcendent) so He had no beginning in time.. if he's outside space n time then He's always existed. Maybe that doesn't clarify the creation theory that he must have a creator since we do but what I believe is that He is Omnipotent and He spoke into existence.

God overcomplicates things.If you say that God has always existed then I can just say the universe/ multiverse always existed.Given that we know that a universe exists and nobodody has ever seen a God then that explanation makes more sense.
Original post by Rainfall
God created you and you just go and kill yourself?

youre acting as if killing yourself deletes your soul. your soul doesnt die according to you, you are only destroying your physical form.

Listen I might sound cruel and trust me I totally get why some people go as far as killing themselves but everyone encourages that life will get better with patience. God tests ur patience.

why does god need to test your patience. hes not bound by space or time, he knows everything about you, so why is there a need to prove something to him? he already knows what you would do. Gods determined everything thats happened or will happen and knows everything about you as he created you. is god that inexeperienced that he requires to test his own creations thousands of years after they've been created?
life doesnt get better with patience, if youre being patient youre waiting for something to happen, and in most cases - someone elses doing. life gets better when you decide to do something yourself thats going to make a change, not tomorrow, today.

Listen yh you can tell me that this is all not real but in my heart I know. .

facts dont really care about your heart or feelings, what youre saying is not a provable claim.

this isn’t a threat so don’t take it as one but you’ll see on judgment day..

can you prove that judgement day exists? if youre going to refer to a holy scripture, please provide proof that it was written by a divine being and not just a human as its not a reliable source for an event that alive humans cannot experience, also please prove that it is impossible for it to be a lie.
Original post by Notnek
I just need the belief in God and then I'll join you :smile: I think that the only fixed law should be that the whole religion must be rewritten every 25 years. Otherwise we'll have the same problem as other religions have 100 years from now.

same - I probably won't even believe in my own religion but it will be fun making up stories :laugh:
oo that's a very good idea. cheers for the rep. i think it'll definitely prevent a lot of problems
Join a book club. They join up every week to talk about fiction, as well.
Original post by Gent2324
youre acting as if killing yourself deletes your soul. your soul doesnt die according to you, you are only destroying your physical form.

why does god need to test your patience. hes not bound by space or time, he knows everything about you, so why is there a need to prove something to him? he already knows what you would do. Gods determined everything thats happened or will happen and knows everything about you as he created you. is god that inexeperienced that he requires to test his own creations thousands of years after they've been created?
life doesnt get better with patience, if youre being patient youre waiting for something to happen, and in most cases - someone elses doing. life gets better when you decide to do something yourself thats going to make a change, not tomorrow, today.

facts dont really care about your heart or feelings, what youre saying is not a provable claim.

can you prove that judgement day exists? if youre going to refer to a holy scripture, please provide proof that it was written by a divine being and not just a human as its not a reliable source for an event that alive humans cannot experience, also please prove that it is impossible for it to be a lie.

I don’t need to prove anything to you. And I’m not responding to you so that I can change your outlook in life. Because simply, I couldn’t care. The signs are here, most of them and we’re still asking for proof. F*ck proof. We need to stop behaving like life will be great to us and everything will just come to you. The signs are enough for you to believe but you all want to say that it’s just a coincidence. And do you know what I say that, sir? nothing cause Idc lmao.
There are such beautiful things on earth and things that people don’t think are real even though it is cause it’s so fascinating so how can I not believe there’s a huge possibility that there’s more? There’s even more beautiful sunsets. Beautiful people. Beautiful smells and sounds. I very much believe it’s real. People think this world is paradise so why don’t you believe there’s more? It makes me happy! :smile:

I do think there's more. There are probably myriad worlds around other stars.Each of those worlds is as real as ours.Each with its own life and people and sunsets as you put it.I even think there's a strong possibility there are other universes.Or maybe this universe is infinite and just goes on forever and ever.I don't see any reason to believe in the supernatural or magic though.
Original post by Damaris23

I will say this with openness to anyone who considers otherwise but I'll agree and say that something will be out there if you don't believe God, but from what I've realised we look to a universe that cannot speak for itself. The universe must have a creator I'm sure right. We are created aren't we?.

No, we're not created. We evolved and share common ancestry with all living things, the evidence for this is overwhelming.

Buildings have a creator well a buIlder? As silly as it sounds mugs have a creator, the Potter. It's just like us, we have a creator, so how can the universe create itself when everything made in this world has a creator? It raises the question of what is our believe system? But if u strongly disagree, I don't really mind because we hold our views which I see as okay.😊

Absurd analogies. We know buildings and mugs have conscious creators because they don't occur in nature and we can observe them being built. No one has seen anyone or anything create a universe so we can't at all say it was created. Moreover, if your own god doesn't require a creator then you are conceding that complexity doesn't, in all cases, require a cause (your god is very complex and yet was uncaused). This is a fallacious argument known as special pleading.

We can give ourselves a purpose in life but what if that purpose dies down in terms of what if the purpose that we are living for suddenly seems worthless?

If it becomes worthless then you'd simply select another purpose. And what if I think that living for the sole reason of worshipping God is incredibly dull and meaningless, what would your response to that be?

I guess you can find another purpose for living lol don't u? 😊 but then it becomes an endless cycle of trying to find purpose again. What I mean is that forever in this world whatever we try to achieve for example "I've got a great career" is not our purpose for living for it will not remain. Because what if u became jobless. You see we become so dependent and rely on these things to bring joy and purpose to our lives but in fact it brings emptiness as they dont remain.

The nature of life is change and this happens whether you're religious or irreligious. Nothing is permanent, even religionists' faith in God wavers so you really have no argument here. Your purpose in life doesn't need to remain static for it to be meaningful, someone's purpose could completely change depending on the stage of life they're at. So no, their fleeting nature don't automatically mean they bring emptiness. As I mentioned, I would view my life in servitude of God as being empty and depressing.

I can defintely say God does remain. HE hasnt changed. He is the same yesterday today and foreve. His promises will never chnage. Materialism is someshing BIG. The need for money, and a good job and then you settle but Guys you are only just existing but God created us to Live our lives to the fullest ( I don't mean by u getting drunk). But before we were born, he placed purpose over our lIves.

There's nothing wrong with change, it's our greatest glory and our biggest treasure. Life without change would become stagnant and mind-numbingly dull.

Many of us are fearing because we don't know what to believe about life. The question of life. The question of how do u kno what u believe is to be true? Well I know because faith is the substance of things unseen.

You don't know, you believe you know, there's a difference. Every religious person "knows" their faith is the correct one, but you can't all be right, whereas you can all be wrong.

We don't see God but it's a knowing. I believe and once u stand firm on that then that will be the thing u land on when u seem to fall into the mindset of questioning what is it that u believe and it will lead u back to God.With this foundation, u can climb back up. Like I said we are in a generation where we want things instantly and we want proof but Have u even tried God? If only u tried how would u kno? But Guys that's me. If u disagree, I'm open to that totally x

It is a believing, not a knowing. I just don't see what's great or amazing about spending your life worshipping God? He's already all-powerful and all-knowing, why on Earth would he need the adoration of apes on a tiny planet in a dark corner of the universe? What possible satisfaction and meaning could he extract from that? It would be like humans forcing bacteria to worship them: totally pointless and unsatisfactory.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey there! I was raised Catholic too, I'm from near Rome and the influence of religion here is extremely spread. As a 13 year old I was already stating to be an atheist and, believe me, when you're so young, living in a small town and fighting for freedom and LGBT rights (I'm an LGBT person too), your surroundings try their best to make you feel out of place and crazy. So how do you find yourself? No God is needed. You are enough for yourself. Going through an existential
Original post by RS564
I do think there's more. There are probably myriad worlds around other stars.Each of those worlds is as real as ours.Each with its own life and people and sunsets as you put it.I even think there's a strong possibility there are other universes.Or maybe this universe is infinite and just goes on forever and ever.I don't see any reason to believe in the supernatural or magic though.

And you believe that all of this is not created by a being? I don’t understand the Big Bang theory or whatever you atheists think is how we were created. But I can’t ever ever ever believe all these hundreds of planets are basically NOTHING. That the sunset wasn’t created by a beautiful artist. Look how unique we all are and what this was created by science? yh that could never be me boo
Be your own guidance.
if you dont want to prove anything then you shouldnt be making claims that i just have to take your word for. its not very reliable.
i already know yourre not interested in physical proof, that is the whole basis of religion, faith - believing spiritual conviction rather than proof.

We need to stop behaving like life will be great to us and everything will just come to you.

a bit like how paradise is going to come to you after you die on earth?

The signs are enough for you to believe but you all want to say that it’s just a coincidence. And do you know what I say that, sir? nothing cause Idc lmao.

and again you are saying there is all these signs and proof but you havent given any evidence, nor have you answered many of my questions because there is no possible adequate answer and you know that
Ok first off, you have to work to get what you want. Some people may have privilege here but sis ur privilege is gone on judgment day. You have to work hard here to deserve a spot in heaven. Yh god wants to see who really deserves it. God created you and you just go and kill yourself? Listen I might sound cruel and trust me I totally get why some people go as far as killing themselves but everyone encourages that life will get better with patience. God tests ur patience. There are some bad people in this world even bad Muslims, you think everyone deserves to live a life of luxury. And I mean things you can’t ever do here like FLY. Listen yh you can tell me that this is all not real but in my heart I know. And this isn’t a threat so don’t take it as one but you’ll see on judgment day. I said this last time and everyone thought I was gonna murder him or summn lmao.

You don't know, you think you know. I could just as easily say "I know" Islam isn't real and there is no Judgement Day.

It is impossible for an all-knowing being to conduct tests because the very definition and purpose of tests are to determine or find out a quality, characteristic, skill etc. that was not known with certainty beforehand. As God is supposed to know everything before it happens he cannot be testing you to see which choice you make because he already knows. In fact, not only does he know, but it is his will that you did everything you did: he chose everything you would do before you were even born, so where is the test?
if you dont want to prove anything then you shouldnt be making claims that i just have to take your word for. its not very reliable.
i already know yourre not interested in physical proof, that is the whole basis of religion, faith - believing spiritual conviction rather than proof.

a bit like how paradise is going to come to you after you die on earth?

and again you are saying there is all these signs and proof but you havent given any evidence, nor have you answered many of my questions because there is no possible adequate answer and you know that

Well the difference is sis is that I’m working hard to get a spot in heaven. Privilege like your class for example will not save you when you are judged on judgment day. Good things don’t come easy. Like exams and **** but that’s a whole other ting. Privilege may save u there but not to get to heaven I’m afraid oops :frown:

I have answered your questions. Your proof are the signs and if yall cant see that then you might need to get ur eyes and ears checked. Do yall think there are someone editing the Quran like you can on Wikipedia? Nah fam the predictions are there but like I said, yall wanna scream coincidence and that’s the tea sis☕️
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You don't know, you think you know. I could just as easily say "I know" Islam isn't real and there is no Judgement Day.

It is impossible for an all-knowing being to conduct tests because the very definition and purpose of tests are to determine or find out a quality, characteristic, skill etc. that was not known with certainty beforehand. As God is supposed to know everything before it happens he cannot be testing you to see which choice you make because he already knows. In fact, not only does he know, but it is his will that you did everything you did: he chose everything you would do before you were even born, so where is the test?

The signs are enough for me.

Listen yeah I myself don’t understand this “life is a test thing” so I can’t really speak on that. How I see it is God created me like gave me life and saved me at times I thought I wouldn’t make it and that’s not science it’s a miracle so who am I to not return the favour? He may command it but I would do pray to him anyway. He doesn’t need us, we need him. I especially need him and that’s the tea
Well the difference is sis is that I’m working hard to get a spot in heaven.

but yet my success happens now, you can never be successful or happy in your lifetime because you never know whether you got a spot in heaven. spending your whole life working for 1 goal that doesnt even exist is not a good way to live life.

Good things don’t come easy. Like exams and **** but that’s a whole other ting. Privilege may save u there but not to get to heaven I’m afraid oops :frown:

what privelage?

I have answered your questions. Your proof are the signs and if yall cant see that then you might need to get ur eyes and ears checked. Do yall think there are someone editing the Quran like you can on Wikipedia? Nah fam the predictions are there but like I said, yall wanna scream coincidence and that’s the tea sis☕️

as for the rest of your post youre clearly trying to avoid every question i asked earlier and youre starting to get hysterical and repeating the same things over again. you saying that no one can edit the quran has nothing to do with what i asked, i never claimed someone changed the quran nor did i claim its possible. so are you just not understanding the questions or are you purposely trying to avoid them by giving incoherent answers?
but yet my success happens now, you can never be successful or happy in your lifetime because you never know whether you got a spot in heaven. spending your whole life working for 1 goal that doesnt even exist is not a good way to live life.

what privelage?

as for the rest of your post youre clearly trying to avoid every question i asked earlier and youre starting to get hysterical and repeating the same things over again. you saying that no one can edit the quran has nothing to do with what i asked, i never claimed someone changed the quran nor did i claim its possible. so are you just not understanding the questions or are you purposely trying to avoid them by giving incoherent answers?

Ok well the difference is that I do believe. And that’s makes a lot more sense.

what privilage? bruhhhh I did not write a whole para on it for you to ask that shizz again. READDDD fam.

Ok so clearly this isn’t going anywhere and it usually never does so this... this ain’t it.
Religion, beliefs, faith etc
They are a social construction. Why label and restrict yourself to something that is made up?
Original post by Joe2001
I was raised Catholic but due to it's beliefs on certain issues and the way it has dealt with some situations,I no longer consider myself Catholic in any way.

At the moment, I don't have any beliefs but the idea of there being nothing out there scares me. I also just feel that the idea of not having any faith or guidance makes me feel empty.

As an LGBT person, I struggle with religion and as a teenager, I am probably not the only person to question religion.

Where can I go from here?

Look into Islam?
The signs are enough for me.

Listen yeah I myself don’t understand this “life is a test thing” so I can’t really speak on that. How I see it is God created me like gave me life and saved me at times I thought I wouldn’t make it and that’s not science it’s a miracle so who am I to not return the favour? He may command it but I would do pray to him anyway. He doesn’t need us, we need him. I especially need him and that’s the tea

If he doesn't need us then why do we have to return the favour? After all, he doesn't need it. Yet him getting so angry at people who don't return the favour that he's willing to boil and burn them alive forever most certainly gives the impression that he did need our attention and worship. You wouldn't get so pissed off at someone not giving you something you didn't need.
Original post by Roseoioi
Look into Islam?

I'm gay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending