The Student Room Group

University not allowing my son to change his course!

Hi
I wonder if anyone has any advice for me please.
My son has just started at Leeds Uni and is not enjoying his course, He has spoken to his personal tutor and student services who have said that the window of opportunity has passed for him to be able to change course (he started this process in week 3!)
It seems to him that his only option is to leave and re-apply to a different university for September 19.
Can anyone offer any alternatives please?
Thanks
That is the only alternative.
Original post by lholnessy268
Hi
I wonder if anyone has any advice for me please.
My son has just started at Leeds Uni and is not enjoying his course, He has spoken to his personal tutor and student services who have said that the window of opportunity has passed for him to be able to change course (he started this process in week 3!)
It seems to him that his only option is to leave and re-apply to a different university for September 19.
Can anyone offer any alternatives please?
Thanks

He could finish the year and restart on the new course next year.

Or suspend his place and reapply to 5 new choices.

Or withdraw completely and reapply to 5 choices (including Leeds if he likes it).

They will have good reasons for setting a limit on the times for transfers - they will have experience and know the point at which it’s not possible to catch up. They don’t want to put your child at a disadvantage.
Thanks I appreciate your response.

Original post by PQ
He could finish the year and restart on the new course next year.

Or suspend his place and reapply to 5 new choices.

Or withdraw completely and reapply to 5 choices (including Leeds if he likes it).

They will have good reasons for setting a limit on the times for transfers - they will have experience and know the point at which it’s not possible to catch up. They don’t want to put your child at a disadvantage.
Original post by lholnessy268
Thanks I appreciate your response.

It's definitely worth him sticking it out until Christmas IMO. From a student finance point of view it's no different leaving now or leaving at Christmas (well apart from if he leaves now then they'll want a bunch of his first loan instalment repaid ASAP). And then he can be confident that he hasn't given up at the first difficulty (plus he may well have built a good relationship with his tutor up meaning that he can have a reference from a university academic instead of from a school which is always a benefit).

It's very easy when starting a university to confuse loneliness, home sickness, general unhappiness with living arrangements and unhappiness with the course. And while none of those are fun things to experience it's important to unpick what's the problem to make sure he doesn't make the same mistake again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending