The Student Room Group

How do I become a neurologist?

I want to study neuroscience in university but that more likely leads to becoming a neuroscientist which is more about researching and studying the brain rather than actually working with people (which is what a neurologist does and which is what I want to do). This means that neurology actually requires a medical degree. But I have obviously ;-; passed the dates to apply for a medical school so should I do biomed and take an extremely long route to becoming a neurologist or is there a way to become a neurologist through a neuroscience course? D:
Reply 1
You could always do neuroscience and then medicine as a postgraduate
Nope. You need a medical degree.
I'd advise taking a gap year and applying next year- this will allow you to gain work experience etc.
Doing neuroscience and then graduate entry medicine is very long, and grad entry is more comeptitive than undergrad so you'd be reducing your chances of getting in
As above, neurology is a medical specialty. The only way to become a neurologist is to get a medical degree, complete your foundation training, do core medical training, and then neurology specialty training. While neurology often has connections with academia (including e.g. neuroscience/neurobiology departments and possibly psychology departments at universities associated with the hospital) and academic medicine, that doesn't change the fact you need to do the medical degree etc to become a neurologist. You may well have the opportunity to pursue an intercalated BSc/masters and/or a PhD in neuroscience/related fields at various points in this training period though.

Graduate entry medicine (e.g. via BMS, or even a first degree in Neuroscience potentially) is considerably more competitive than standard undergraduate entry medicine as a school leaver - if medicine (by way of neurology) is the goal, it would probably be better as above to take a gap year and apply to medicine the first time round (you could apply to a neuroscience course as your 5th option). As noted above, this would also give you time to get appropriate experience for your application. GEM will be an option if you don't get in this way, but it's probably better to try the usual route first and then go with GEM if necessary, than plan for GEM in the first instance...
I was just about to do that,you beat me to it! :lol: He will be so excited when he sees this!
Original post by help_me_please_
I want to study neuroscience in university but that more likely leads to becoming a neuroscientist which is more about researching and studying the brain rather than actually working with people (which is what a neurologist does and which is what I want to do). This means that neurology actually requires a medical degree. But I have obviously ;-; passed the dates to apply for a medical school so should I do biomed and take an extremely long route to becoming a neurologist or is there a way to become a neurologist through a neuroscience course? D:

You can't become a neurologist (or any other kind of doctor) by doing a neuroscience degree. No exceptions.

Rather than doing a biomed degree, a more prudent approach would be to re-apply next year and build up your medical school application in the meantime. Have you done any work experience? What A levels are you doing?

Incidentally, we get about three "how do I become a neurologist" threads on here each week - you can find more info by doing a search.
Thank you so much for everyone who has replied! Definitely has helped me on what I should do! :smile:
However, another quick question.. Which route would take longer from where I am now? I am in year 13 and if I do my gap year and then go into medicine after would it take longer than doing neuroscience next year and doing post grad med?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending