The Student Room Group

24yo Considering Part-Time Study in Computing

Hi I'm 24 and living just outside London

I have an okay paying job in mortgages but the thing is don't enjoy it at all. The thought of doing it forever really does get me down

I'm been exploring options of part-time degrees related to computing, allowing me to study evenings and weekends whilst working Mon- Fri (the plan would be to change jobs to a more related role during the course).
Computers and technology have always been my passion, and I studied IT & Networking in college.

By recommendation the options I've narrowed it down to is Open University which advises 6yrs to complete, or Birkbeck which is 4 years (I assume more intensive than OU?)

My query is can anyone comment on the intensity of these courses?
I don't expect it to be an easy ride by any means, but is it likely feasible to juggle work, study and social/leisure time?

Also would these two degrees, if either was obtained, are they widely recognized like degrees from other universities?

I'm all over the place at the moment with what I want to do. Bad decisions in the past has led to me questioning the path I've taken until now, but I feel if things need to change I should do it now before I get any older.

Views and opinions appreciated, apologies for the long post!
Both the OU and Birkbeck's degree should be based around approximately 3600 hours of study because this is the standard which all UK universities need to adhere to when designing the structure of their courses. So yes I would imagine a 4-year degree would undoubtedly be more intense than a 6-year degree.

Most on-campus courses tend to run for around 30 weeks of the year (the other 22 weeks are Summer, Easter and Christmas breaks). Each semester tends to be 600 hours spread across 15 weeks = 40 hours per week for a full-time student studying a 3-year degree.

If you're going to spread 3600 hours across 4 or 6 years part time, then you wouldn't be including such long study breaks, so that'd be either 200 weeks or 300 weeks, then you're looking at around 18 hours per week for a 4-year part-time course, or 12 hours per week for a 6-year part-time course. (These are rough numbers of course).

There are other options you could explore too - firstly, if distance learning interests you then I'd recommend looking at other non-university courses; particularly those which lead to industry-recognised certification. For example, there are quite a few paths available from Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco and Amazon which you can study in your own time to gain competencies in specific technologies.

Secondly, there are online-based courses, many of which are completely free, or available quite cheaply, from websites like EdX, Coursera and Udacity. These sites offer degree-level modules from global top universities (e.g. Harvard and MIT) as well as top tech companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Google -- most of which you don't even need to pay for since you can ignore the MOOC certificates. The advantage of taking these would be the ability to schedule your own learning based entirely on your own schedule, and focus on the skills which are specifically relevant to the types of jobs you'd like to apply for.

Obviously these won't lead to a traditional degree qualification, althoug hthe value in going to university is not in obtaining a degree, but in spending 3 years learning a solid set of the skills which employers want to see in the people they're hiring into junior/entry-level jobs -- realistically anything you'd learn on a degree can be self-taught using MOOCs without really needing to pay much or anything.

Most employers have absolutely no preference for people with degree qualifications (Unless the employer is specifically looking for academics to fill a research-based role), although they'd want to hire people whose skils are up the same minimum standard as a graduate. Recruitment and interviewing procedures are nearly always focused on assessing individual candidates based upon technical, analytical and problem solving skills, as well as evidence of having used real technologies in their own projects, or having worked on projects with/for other people, and any other relevant experience. So - focus on the knowing which skills you need, and learning those skills, rather than worrying about a qualification.

Another possible option could be to enrol on a higher (Level 4-6) apprenticeship scheme (DIgital & Technology Solutions) - this focuses mainly on picking up skills while starting out with that kind of job from day one. Usually 4 days a week working for an employer in a discipline such as Software engineering or Platform engineering, alongside one day per-week studying towards a degree qualification. The advantage of doing this is that you'd learn a lot more this way about the specific career path than studying on a degree; by the time apprentices 'graduate' from the scheme, they're at a mid-level with 3 or 4 years of experience to support them.

With that said, the apprenticeships schemes are competitive to get into, so you boost your chances by self-teaching via Coursera/EdX/Udacity and other MOOC websites then treat the apprenticeship scheme as a target/goal, although the people you'd be competing against will usually be straight out of A-Levels or Level 3 BTEC courses, so the bar is lower than university graduate jobs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by average tom
Hi I'm 24 and living just outside London

I have an okay paying job in mortgages but the thing is don't enjoy it at all. The thought of doing it forever really does get me down

I'm been exploring options of part-time degrees related to computing, allowing me to study evenings and weekends whilst working Mon- Fri (the plan would be to change jobs to a more related role during the course).
Computers and technology have always been my passion, and I studied IT & Networking in college.

By recommendation the options I've narrowed it down to is Open University which advises 6yrs to complete, or Birkbeck which is 4 years (I assume more intensive than OU?)

My query is can anyone comment on the intensity of these courses?
I don't expect it to be an easy ride by any means, but is it likely feasible to juggle work, study and social/leisure time?

Also would these two degrees, if either was obtained, are they widely recognized like degrees from other universities?

I'm all over the place at the moment with what I want to do. Bad decisions in the past has led to me questioning the path I've taken until now, but I feel if things need to change I should do it now before I get any older.

Views and opinions appreciated, apologies for the long post!

What is your educational background? Do you have A levels/ a degree?

Have you looked at this option for distance learning?
Reply 3
Original post by winterscoming
Both the OU and Birkbeck's degree should be based around approximately 3600 hours of study because this is the standard which all UK universities need to adhere to when designing the structure of their courses. So yes I would imagine a 4-year degree would undoubtedly be more intense than a 6-year degree.

Most on-campus courses tend to run for around 30 weeks of the year (the other 22 weeks are Summer, Easter and Christmas breaks). Each semester tends to be 600 hours spread across 15 weeks = 40 hours per week for a full-time student studying a 3-year degree.

If you're going to spread 3600 hours across 4 or 6 years part time, then you wouldn't be including such long study breaks, so that'd be either 200 weeks or 300 weeks, then you're looking at around 18 hours per week for a 4-year part-time course, or 12 hours per week for a 6-year part-time course. (These are rough numbers of course).

There are other options you could explore too - firstly, if distance learning interests you then I'd recommend looking at other non-university courses; particularly those which lead to industry-recognised certification. For example, there are quite a few paths available from Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco and Amazon which you can study in your own time to gain competencies in specific technologies.

Secondly, there are online-based courses, many of which are completely free, or available quite cheaply, from websites like EdX, Coursera and Udacity. These sites offer degree-level modules from global top universities (e.g. Harvard and MIT) as well as top tech companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Google -- most of which you don't even need to pay for since you can ignore the MOOC certificates. The advantage of taking these would be the ability to schedule your own learning based entirely on your own schedule, and focus on the skills which are specifically relevant to the types of jobs you'd like to apply for.

Obviously these won't lead to a traditional degree qualification, althoug hthe value in going to university is not in obtaining a degree, but in spending 3 years learning a solid set of the skills which employers want to see in the people they're hiring into junior/entry-level jobs -- realistically anything you'd learn on a degree can be self-taught using MOOCs without really needing to pay much or anything.

Most employers have absolutely no preference for people with degree qualifications (Unless the employer is specifically looking for academics to fill a research-based role), although they'd want to hire people whose skils are up the same minimum standard as a graduate. Recruitment and interviewing procedures are nearly always focused on assessing individual candidates based upon technical, analytical and problem solving skills, as well as evidence of having used real technologies in their own projects, or having worked on projects with/for other people, and any other relevant experience. So - focus on the knowing which skills you need, and learning those skills, rather than worrying about a qualification.

Another possible option could be to enrol on a higher (Level 4-6) apprenticeship scheme (DIgital & Technology Solutions) - this focuses mainly on picking up skills while starting out with that kind of job from day one. Usually 4 days a week working for an employer in a discipline such as Software engineering or Platform engineering, alongside one day per-week studying towards a degree qualification. The advantage of doing this is that you'd learn a lot more this way about the specific career path than studying on a degree; by the time apprentices 'graduate' from the scheme, they're at a mid-level with 3 or 4 years of experience to support them.

With that said, the apprenticeships schemes are competitive to get into, so you boost your chances by self-teaching via Coursera/EdX/Udacity and other MOOC websites then treat the apprenticeship scheme as a target/goal, although the people you'd be competing against will usually be straight out of A-Levels or Level 3 BTEC courses, so the bar is lower than university graduate jobs.

Thank you for the detailed response. The breakdown of the courses has helped me understand them a lot more, and there is some really useful insights there.

Really appreciate those websites offering the degree-like modules. That's something I can start working on right away what ever avenue I decide to follow.

I'll be honest a big reason for considering a degree was because I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do exactly. My thoughts were I could take the Computing BSc and form a better understanding of what area I actually want to go forward with in my life. I could even find that an MSc is useful for what ever I become interested in and the undergraduate would be key to that?

The apprenticeship idea is very interesting, but forgive me if this is a misconception, but I was under the impression they tend to favour younger candidates as they get better funding from the government?

Original post by ajj2000
What is your educational background? Do you have A levels/ a degree?

Have you looked at this option for distance learning?

Apart from the IT BTEC Level 3 in college I have (which by now is obsolete) I have no further education since school.
I attempted to do a foundation degree in computer systems when I was 20, but dropped out during the cooling off period of 3 weeks

Distance learning I'm open to, which is what I believe OU is?
However I do strongly think I'd benefit more from attending somewhere 2-3 times a week (e.g. Birkbeck) to help keep me accountable.
Reply 4
Doing some research, I am considering completing the CompTIA A+ certification during next year. It seems to be widely recognised, and to be honest would be a useful refresher as I've been out of college for over 6 years now.
This would be prior to starting at Birkbeck or beginning OU/distance learning study.

My thought process is this would allow me a year or two later down the line to get a junior/1st line IT support role whilst still in my studies.

Without any recent IT/computing education or job experience, I see it as extremely difficult to get even a junior position.

EDIT

I've come across this from IT Online Learning
They've got countless ads for this on Reed and other job sites

It seems a little too good to be true though?
Basically a £1000 package of courses, with 90% of the candidates getting an IT role as part of their program including firms such as BT and HP.

I guess worst case scenario you would have the certifications to take away and apply elsewhere on your own accord (looking at A+ alone it was £660~ with the exams, and this package has a further 6 certifications)
(edited 5 years ago)
I'll be honest a big reason for considering a degree was because I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do exactly. My thoughts were I could take the Computing BSc and form a better understanding of what area I actually want to go forward with in my life. I could even find that an MSc is useful for what ever I become interested in and the undergraduate would be key to that?

The apprenticeship idea is very interesting, but forgive me if this is a misconception, but I was under the impression they tend to favour younger candidates as they get better funding from the government?

That's a good reason for doing the degree, it will keep your options open moreso than the apprenticeship and allow you to change to a different discipline more easily. Otherwise I would definitely recommend looking at some of the EdX / Coursera / Udacity courses to get a feel for the content in the meantime. You could learn a lot in the next 6-9 months if you aside enough time.

On the apprenticeship - you might be thinking of the £1000/yr school-leaver funding for 16-18 year olds taking a Level 2/3 apprenticeship? The Higher (Level 4-6) apprenticeships are for people outside of the school-leaver bracket who already have a Level 3 qualification, and the funding model it uses is based on a fixed rate.

As for companies choosing to recruit an apprentice into an IT role - while the expectations are lower than a graduate job, companies tend to follow pretty much the same procedure that they'd follow with graduates and other employees - the people who make the decision of who to hire out of a group of candidates would typically be senior engineers who will eventually be responsible for mentoring over a period of 1-3 years.

With that in mind, they'll be looking at the same kinds of things they'd seek in graduates - someone with potential to cope with learning a lot of new things in a short space of time; and ideally someone who already has some kind of grounding in the analytical and technical skills, ideally with problem solving, logical reasoning skills too. Of course, to a far lesser extent than someone who has either studied CompSci at university or has previous experience, but the people who are favoured are those who have either performed exceptionally well in A-Level/BTEC computing/maths, and/or who are self-taught and able to show that they've already got a lot of the fundamentals under their belt.
Doing some research, I am considering completing the CompTIA A+ certification during next year. It seems to be widely recognised, and to be honest would be a useful refresher as I've been out of college for over 6 years now.
This would be prior to starting at Birkbeck or beginning OU/distance learning study.

My thought process is this would allow me a year or two later down the line to get a junior/1st line IT support role whilst still in my studies.

Without any recent IT/computing education or job experience, I see it as extremely difficult to get even a junior position.

EDIT

I've come across this from IT Online Learning
They've got countless ads for this on Reed and other job sites

It seems a little too good to be true though?
Basically a £1000 package of courses, with 90% of the candidates getting an IT role as part of their program including firms such as BT and HP.

I guess worst case scenario you would have the certifications to take away and apply elsewhere on your own accord (looking at A+ alone it was £660~ with the exams, and this package has a further 6 certifications)

CompTIA certification is worthwhile, but £660 for CompTIA A+ sounds grossly overrpriced to me - there are two exams for that, each of which only cost £130 if you were to pay for those on your own (And if they're a CompTIA partner then they'll pay less than that for the exams).
You can get a lot of the content online for free such as this: https://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

I'd also recommend looking at a Pluralsight subscription for some of these certification courses too; you'd be able to unlock all of their videos for £30 per month. They've got some good CompTIA A+ content, as well as content for a lot of other certification such as Cisco CCNA.
https://www.pluralsight.com/paths/comptia-a-plus
Reply 7
Thank you

I'm going to start with the A+ today.
I could certainly use the information refresh, and as it's so reasonably priced direct from CompTIA it can't hurt to have going forward.
(Looking into it more those third party companies just seem to run their own study programs, some of which don't even include the cost of the exams)

I'll spend a bit more time seriously considering what avenue I want to take next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending