The Student Room Group

Can’t choose a career because I feel it’s not respected enough

I want to become a Graphic Designer but I’m hesitant because I feel the need to have a respected career where I’m doing work that is really you know, respected, this is really becoming a problem for me, anyway, idk what to do really
Reply 1
Original post by Oneiropólos
I want to become a Graphic Designer but I’m hesitant because I feel the need to have a respected career where I’m doing work that is really you know, respected, this is really becoming a problem for me, anyway, idk what to do really

What sort of jobs do you think are more respected? Are you suited to them?
th
Reply 2
who told you it wasn't a respected career? that's crazy, i mean print advertising depends on you, doesn't it?

are you afraid of disappointing someone or why do you think you need a 'respected' career, anyway?
Reply 3
How about you stop caring what other people think? You want to do something, then do it. The only people who really gives a crap about things like that are the STEM edgelords on TSR.
Original post by ajj2000
What sort of jobs do you think are more respected? Are you suited to them?
th

Well I don’t know any other careers other than being an Architect which I don’t want to become, I need a creative job, but creative and respected don’t match up, it’s like the only way you’re respected is if you’re in the STEM sector
Reply 5
Well I don’t know any other careers other than being an Architect which I don’t want to become, I need a creative job, but creative and respected don’t match up, it’s like the only way you’re respected is if you’re in the STEM sector

I've only ever known a few graphic designers but its always looked a really cool job. Not convinced it pays less then architecture but may be wrong. STEM jobs are really not that good if you are not suited to them. Its only on student websites that people think they are amazing.
Yh that’s the thing, everything about becoming a Graphic Designer fits, the money, the daily tasks, the creative aspects and the ability to freelance, idk really, I should really stop being so caring as to what people think but I just can’t seem to do it
Graphic designing is such a good job nowadays especially with how technology is progressing at the moment. I don't understand why you think it isn't... Follow your heart and go with graphic designing, you'll do something you love and make money lol, who cares about respect in this world anyway!? loool
Reply 8
Yh that’s the thing, everything about becoming a Graphic Designer fits, the money, the daily tasks, the creative aspects and the ability to freelance, idk really, I should really stop being so caring as to what people think but I just can’t seem to do it

Who are these other people? Friends? Family?

What are you good at apart from design? Are other routes even worth considering? I can see if you have a peer group and family who are all in, or aiming for corporate law, high end IT and medicine you might be concerned. Otherwise? not convinced. Graphic design is a perfectly good career path and a reasonable aim. Its not the same as studying fine art or taking a psychology degree with the hope of becoming a councellor where job openings are very limited and at huge personal cost.
Reply 9
This. I always enjoy posts from people who are 'passionate' about becoming a psychiatrist but are studying psychology. People who think ahead and research do better in life.
Well, its works as a first stage admission test!
Reply 11
Whatever career you choose just remember one thing "If your 'doing' is simply a mere means to an end it will never give you satisfaction". we all do things having an end in our mind, but when we do things only because of the 'result' that is associtated with the task it causes suffering and dissatisfaction. If you love your journey you will also love your destination but if you are only taking that path thinking after this road ends I will achieve wealth, respect or even satisfaction then it is just an illusion our mind likes to play with us.
If you are not happy with the 'means', you will be not be happy with the 'end'.
Original post by ajj2000
This. I always enjoy posts from people who are 'passionate' about becoming a psychiatrist but are studying psychology. People who think ahead and research do better in life.

Jesus, people actually make that mistake 😂
Who says a career in graphic design is not respected?
Science undergrads, academics over 60 who spend all their spare time bemoaning "the youth of today" and PhD's who look down their noses at each other then non-academics.
If you are desperate for universal approval of all your decisions, your self esteem issues are likely to require professional attention.

I have many friends who are working as graphic designers in the UK, US and Asia.
They are all graduates who earn over £60,000 a year, enjoy their work and have never spent a day unemployed.
Three have law postgraduates and one walked away from a career as an NHS junior doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending