The Student Room Group

Driving with no insurance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flower56560
I didn't say he is not right. Everything he is doing is right and understandable but it could be so much easy for both of us if we could make a deal. For him and me as well.
But still I understand If he is afraid as well.

You drove without a license, insurance and tax. You need to be banned - you just don't take driving seriously. They should not make it easier for you - they should report you to the Police.

Sorry it's not what you want to hear, but you did this deliberately.
What the worst could happen in a scenario like this? This is I am really curious about and afraid of .
If I got banned - okay .
Huge fine - okay.

But going to prison? Does it have a chance for go to prison for this?
Original post by Vinny C
You did a ^^^@OP, presumably to link it to the original poster.

Ahhh, I see. There’s a TSR guide just here, if you scroll down there’s little features you can use in threads. 😊

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3579385
What the worst could happen in a scenario like this? This is I am really curious about and afraid of .
If I got banned - okay .
Huge fine - okay.

It’s a small collision with, I assume, no injuries. You won’t go to prison.
He did not report me to the police, he only told it to the insurance and finance company .So what now? What could happen next ?
Basically what I am afraid of the most is being imprisoned because of this. Could it be happen?
It is my first accident ever ,first trouble with the police, anyway I am crystal clear. Does it matter at all?

You wont get prison - not for a first offence.

Look we are all allowed one stupid thing in life - what is done is done. It will cost you money and your insurance when you get it will be sky high and you will have points on your licence. Nothing you can do. Stop beating yourself up. You could have killed someone but you didnt.
Won't get much sympathy here tbh, driving without these things is just asking for trouble and makes things worse for all of us.

Doubt you'll get a prison sentence, but likely banned from driving for a long time and the car might be seized. if/when the insurance company works out you're trying to defraud them it'll get far worse, first thing they'll do is verify when the accident happened...and it'll unravel from there, then it'll be prosecution and no more driving. Police will be involved.

(Stop expecting the other driver to co operate with you, they're a victim of your bad choices, if you're not honesnt enough to drive with the right papers, they won't think you're honest enough to make a private agreement with. If anything they could drop you further in it for hassling them.)
He is the good-guy type who has reported this to his insurer immediately I think. Ignores everything I say to him about deal with it privately.

I didn't say he is not right. Everything he is doing is right and understandable but it could be so much easy for both of us if we could make a deal. For him and me as well.
But still I understand If he is afraid as well.

You're probably in even more trouble now because you've been trying to encourage the other party to 'settle up privately'. This could be seen as attempting to obstruct justice. You will already have to go to court about this and will certainly be banned from driving, but if the other party tells the court how you've been trying to encourage him to 'settle' this, your punishment will be even more severe.

You could have killed someone. You will be banned and fined heavily, and that is the right thing to do. You are lucky that you are (probably) not facing a prison sentence.
I don't think he could sell me out at the court about how we did try to deal with it privately. Now he is thinking what would be the best option once it has been reported to the insurer. I guess it's a point of no return .

Again, I "don't mind" if I will have to pay more, or my car will be removed, and my licence will be banned. I am not happy at all and I understand how irresponsible I was and how could it be more easy if I had the papers done before driving home. I feel the weight of it.

And anything I get from the court I will be fine with it. It will be hurt as hell but I take the responsibility. The only thing I am really really really afraid of is prison.

Is there anything I could say or do at the court to avoid this?
Original post by Reality Check
You're probably in even more trouble now because you've been trying to encourage the other party to 'settle up privately'. This could be seen as attempting to obstruct justice. You will already have to go to court about this and will certainly be banned from driving, but if the other party tells the court how you've been trying to encourage him to 'settle' this, your punishment will be even more severe.

Bingo. As the other guy is going through a finance company as well he is likely to ABSOLUTELY do things right, no dodgy alley garages. (IE: you likely couldnt afford the repairs even if you wanted to pay them.) If he accepted your offer of a bung (C'mon, what's he going to do? phone his insurer back and say 'That accident I reported earlier didn't happen?), he's MASSIVELY weakened his own claim and likely commited a crime and there's nothing to stop you simply not paying him. no way he's going to put himself in that position for a random crook. As RC says, if that driver lets on to his insurance or police you're been pressuring him to conceal it, it'll get more serious.

How did the other driver react when you told them you had no papers? If it was me you'd be face down in the road till police arrived, possibly with the business end of a chainsaw not quite pointed at you, but not quite pointed away either :redface:

TL;DR no way the other driver will go for it, OP has dug a deeper hole by trying to fraud the insurance and that will come out v v quickly.
Probably he didn't do anything yet. I think he is more clever so we are just waiting for what's happening next and we will see.

So I guess I have to report to the Police now and praying for the best outcome.
Probably he didn't do anything yet. I think he is more clever so we are just waiting for what's happening next and we will see.

So I guess I have to report to the Police now and praying for the best outcome.

He v likely HAS, every minute he doesn't report it to his insurer and the police weakens his own case. Your door chap could be scheduled for any time.

Have you spoke to the police at all or did you just leave the scene? If they catch up to you first it'll be worse, i'm reasonably sure to make an insurance claim for a collision the other driver MUST have informed the police, they can't let it go.

I went through a big insurance claim (as a passenger) a few years back, and was seriously impressed with how thoroughly the police totally ripped the others drivers story to bits and how much obvious glee they took in it, they apparently laughed down the phone at one witness and dared them to make a statement (they'd already worked out they were a stooge)
I have stopped when the accident happened, we changed details but because it was not a big crash, nobody was injured only the cars, and both could drive off, neither of us dialled the police.

I am aheading to the police station now and report myself asap.
If I got banned - okay .
Huge fine - okay.

@IWMTom

Will know more.

Very poor choice. probably banned and I dont think the fine wont be huge.

The police arent involved yet.

Sounds like you arent mature enough to drive at this stage as you make very poor decisions.
Not sure if the insurers will inform the police. Presumably this person knows you have no insurance so my guess they have to make a claim on his own policy and lose his no claims or through the MIB.

If you have the money, then other than to teach you a lesson I cant see his point. It will cost more money and be more hassle to claim on his own policy and or through the MIB. It will be hassle for him.

I would have the money if you have it and offer it to them as settlement.
Do your parents know?

What you have probably done is ruin your chances of getting insurance and that may make it prohibitively expensive to get insurance for many years.
Original post by 999tigger
@IWMTom

Will know more.

lol, I literally just came back to say 'Soon this will be moved to Cars & Motoring' and then it's Sean Bean 'Brace yourselves for the inevitable' time :tongue:
I am over 25. Listen I just bought the car it WAS ONLY 3 MILES AWAY. I thought nothing bad can happen in that short period of time, but my sat nav went wrong and I ran to a roundabout which I can't really handle very well .

Bad choices. A lot. I know. I should have done it way much better, but I decided to act like I'm in God's hand and hoped I would drive home safely .I did not want to break the law, I did not want to sneak away from the tax or insurance or the licence. My test would have been this week for God's sake. I just should have wait for a few days and all that happened never would have happened.

I was an irresponsible idiot. This is why I think I deserve whatever I get .I will learn a lesson I will never forget and never do even a little bit of that again. Never.
Original post by StriderHort
lol, I literally just came back to say 'Soon this will be moved to Cars & Motoring' and then it's Sean Bean 'Brace yourselves for the inevitable' time :tongue:

I kind of avoided Motor insurance during some of my past studies, so would need to look it up. Tom is in a better position.
Didnt even realise id pressed submit for that post as was thinking just not to make it.

The biggest pain id see would be the many thousands of £ extra in insurance this will cost the OP. Irrespective of any court case, which may not even happen. I can feel some empathy for the OP, so am not beating up on them.
Reply 37
Oh boy, what a mess.

It sounds like you've talked to the police already, if not then do that ASAP. You have comitted a crime and witholding that from the police could get you into even more trouble. Again, if you've not spoken to them at all yet, call them now.

Do not make any more offers to the other party. In fact it is probably best if you refrain from contacting them directly at all, at least for the time being. Attempting to settle privately could be seen as perverting the course of justice, and if you're found guilty of that you could face prison time, although I think it's incredibly unlikely in this case. But anyway, cease contact for now.

The only other thing you could be imprisoned for would be dangerous driving, but by the sounds of it you probably weren't driving dangerously, and since it's a first offence you probably wouldn't get a custodial sentence for this offence anyway.

You may be eligble for legal aid, you should check whether you can get support or not. I'd also suggest contacting Citizen's Advice, they will be able to help you find legal support. You may have to pay for your own representation though, in which case I hope you have some money spare after buying that car.

Also it probably goes without saying, but do not drive the car, or anyone else's vehicle while this is ongoing. Doing so would put you in a very bad light when this inevitably reaches trial.
You won't go to prison, seeing as that's your worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending