The Student Room Group

My Life as an Apprentice...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
To DO LISt.png

Busy day tomorrow (and an early one)

I'm off to London and that means a 4am start for me! Yippee(!) :sleep:

I'm heading to a conference, which I chose to go to for my own benefit, and hopefully I'll use the travel time to be productive.

Here's some of the things I need to get done:

Populate my calendar with allocated times to complete assignments and other tasks by Sunday

Complete a write up for a newsletter that I've been asked to do (and haven't even started yet :getmecoat:)

Create re-occurring tasks to introduce some form of autonomy in my daily routine (I'll explain this later)

Arrange social events with friends over the festive period

Write up some more posts for this blog - as I know I'll be mega busy for the next 2 weeks at work :burnout:

If I can squeeze it in, I'll try and update you tomorrow night with my progress :redface: That's if I haven't got lost on the tube somewhere...as it'll be the first time I've navigated it on my own (and only the third time I've ever used it...so that could be fun...)

Spoiler

4am start :eyeball:

Good morning :wavey:
Original post by Blue_Cow
4am start :eyeball:

Good morning :wavey:

Indeedy :sleep:

Morning :wavey:

How are you doing?
Indeedy :sleep:

Morning :wavey:

How are you doing?

I'm alright - last few days of coursework then hnnnnggggggg straight to exam revsion :toofunny:

How are you (apart from the tiredness I'm assuming :lol:)
The best vantage points in the city.png

Ok, you got me. I couldn't resist :awesome:

Many of you were a great support during my GCSEs and through the start of my journey into working life. I’ve been extremely busy since my last blog :work: and I thought I wouldn’t have enough time to maintain one this year, however…I just missed it too much!

I’m into my third year of an apprenticeship and it’s amazing! I’ve been involved in so much (which I’ll explain throughout my updates) and I plan to do so much more too. At college, I’m studying for a HNC Level 4 and…as if that isn’t enough I’m due to take my driving test in the New Year! :yikes:

With my HNC this year, I made a commitment to be way more organised than I was with my BTEC. (Admittedly I left a few assignments to the last minute, when there was no need to!) I’d love to finish up with Distinctions in all my units and I’ve set a personal target to hand in every assignment at least one week early…we’ll see how that goes.

So please, join in, ask me question and let’s have a laugh! If any of you have any questions about my background, GCSEs, apprenticeships, BTECs, HNCs, working life…anything, just ask away :smile:

No promises that my updates will be regular - and I’m relying on you lot to give me the occasional nudge! :poke:

If you followed any of my previous threads, I’d love to know how you’re all getting on too! :smile:

I’ll get a tag list sorted below at some point too - so if you'd like to be included, just let me know :yes:

Until next time…
Brainz

Spoiler

:woo: can I be included in the quote list too :h:
Reply 44
I wish I was :groovy:

I was confused for a moment as to why you replied so early in the morning. Then I remembered how early you were up travelling :moon:
Hope the day is going well so far?
I did thank you, but I feel like I still need a lot more. I'm off on a train journey early tomorrow (which I'll update you all on later), so that means another early start, but thankfully it's just the day and at the moment, I have the weekend free to re-charge...though that might change! :facepalm:

How has your day been? :smile:

Don't we always? :rofl:
Ooh, trains!! Hope your conference is good!
Sleepy and a bit boring :tongue:
new update.png

:hello:

Ok, so…I survived…just. :banana:

There was a thought circulating in my head this morning “why don’t I just cancel and have the day off” but then…I’d just spent £140 on train tickets, :eek: so that wasn’t something I was prepared to lose.

I got up, ready and out to catch my train within the hour and off to London I went. On the train I fell asleep started writing some posts for here, which you’ll get to see soon :excited:. I then created a list of everything I needed to do over the next 4 days (Thu-Sun) so I’m on track again next week.The list was pretty long, and included a range of work and personal tasks. I fell asleep again carried on with these two tasks until I arrived in London…then it was time for the tube *dramatic music*.

It was fine; it all worked out in the end :grin:. I just waited for a few tubes to pass before finding one that wasn’t jammed packed, but I had the time…or so I thought. When I got out the tube station, I completely forgot my way and ended up going in the opposite direction. I ended up wandering aimlessly round London, with no clue and no phone data to check good old Google Maps :no:. Thankfully though, I passed a couple of those guys who hold the doors open at hotels (there’s got to be a fancy name for them?) and they were great in helping me out. I arrived with…wait for it…

A whole 6 minutes to spare! :loony:

That aside, the conference was great and really informative. There were lots of speakers (around 12) and they weren’t all highly technical so I could follow what most were saying. Looking around, I was the youngest there by about 10 years :shakecane:, not that I’m complaining, I just felt extremely immature and I was probably the most socially awkward person they’d ever met :colondollar:.

The conference finished about half an hour earlier than planned, so at 5pm I headed to the tube station. Luckily, I remembered my way this time and jumped straight on the tube to Euston. When I got there, boy was I in for a shock. There were people…everywhere :shock:. I’d never seen so many people in all my life. Then I saw the signs “services are running at a restricted speed” - uh oh. My original plan was to get the 7:30pm train, so I decided to get some food for the journey back :drool:.

When I returned to the station I asked the info guy and he told me to jump on any train to my destination, so I did :run:. 17:43 and I was on the train…not that we left until after 6 but hey ho. More and more stops were added to the journey and we were about 40 minutes late by the second stop :snoozing:.

Tucking into the sushi I grabbed turned out to be a bad idea :eviltongue:. Normally I just go for plain and simple, but as they didn’t have any of those left, I opted for the next best thing. Little did I know they put a hint of wasabi on some of the pieces. I’ve never had wasabi before and never knew I couldn’t have it…but it turns out my skin doesn’t like it. Within about 3 minutes I was scratching like mad. People around me thought I was insane but there was nothing I could do :dontknow:. One side of my face is almost purple now :frown: and it seems to be all infected…fun.

Oh well, I eventually got home and jumped straight into bed (which is where I am posting this from). I think it’s time to sleep now; there’s been enough excitement for one day :yes:. You'll have to do without smilies for now...I'll add them in tomorrow! EDIT: Done :smile:

I get a lie in tomorrow - well…until 6am because I have a driving lesson first thing :driver:

Until next time :wavey:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Sushi :perv:
Glad the conference and tube-ing worked out in the end :yes:
I'm sorry your skin didn't like wasabi :sad: Are you sure it's wasabi and not the shellfish (if you had any) that you can't have? Hope it gets better soon :redface:
Glad the conference was good!
Sorry to hear about your reaction to the wasabi :eek: Hope your face gets better soon!
6am doesn't sound like a lie in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
please include me in the tag list!! :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
please include me in the tag list!! :smile:

Will do :smile:

Original post by She-Ra
:woo: can I be included in the quote list too :h:

Of course!! :adore: :tongue:

I'm alright - last few days of coursework then hnnnnggggggg straight to exam revsion :toofunny:

How are you (apart from the tiredness I'm assuming :lol:)

Ooooh - hope you've been productive since we last spoke.

Apart from the tiredness...I'm feeling...tired

Spoiler

Sushi :perv:

Indeedy :drool:

Original post by nyxnko_
Glad the conference and tube-ing worked out in the end :yes:
I'm sorry your skin didn't like wasabi :sad: Are you sure it's wasabi and not the shellfish (if you had any) that you can't have? Hope it gets better soon :redface:

Thank you :h:

Seems like ti was definitely wasabi as I had the reaction within a few minutes of eating that specific piece. I've had all the other bits and pieces of the tray before...it was just that one piece that was new to me :colondollar:

Original post by Lemur14
Glad the conference was good!
Sorry to hear about your reaction to the wasabi :eek: Hope your face gets better soon!
6am doesn't sound like a lie in :tongue:

Thanks Lemur! :biggrin:

6am definitely didn't feel like it :tongue:. I'm contemplating going back to bed now my driving is done...but there's so much to do!!

How are you doing? :smile:

Thanks Lemur! :biggrin:

6am definitely didn't feel like it :tongue:. I'm contemplating going back to bed now my driving is done...but there's so much to do!!

How are you doing? :smile:

I'm always tempted by bed :lol: Quite often end up doing maths homework in bed so I actually do something but still get bed :rofl:
I'm alright thanks :smile: Super busy as usual and wish it was last week :sad: EPQ due in 2 weeks so that's my focus at the minute!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14
I'm always tempted by bed :lol: Quite often end up doing maths homework in bed so I actually do something but still get bed :rofl:
I'm alright thanks :smile: Super busy as usual and wish it was last week :sad: EPQ due in 2 weeks so that's my focus at the minute!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't blame you and that's a pretty nifty trick :giggle:

Oh me too! It was so good. Hope you get your EPQ sorted - which I'm sure you will! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Don't blame you and that's a pretty nifty trick :giggle:

Oh me too! It was so good. Hope you get your EPQ sorted - which I'm sure you will! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Doesn't help my room is so cold but my bed is warm...
It was! Thanks :smile: Hoping I will but unfortunately it's just long boring bits left so gonna be a long 12 days...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56

Tucking into the sushi I grabbed turned out to be a bad idea :eviltongue:. Normally I just go for plain and simple, but as they didn’t have any of those left, I opted for the next best thing. Little did I know they put a hint of wasabi on some of the pieces. I’ve never had wasabi before and never knew I couldn’t have it…but it turns out my skin doesn’t like it. Within about 3 minutes I was scratching like mad. People around me thought I was insane but there was nothing I could do :dontknow:. One side of my face is almost purple now :frown: and it seems to be all infected…fun.

Sorry to hear about this :sad: Are we better now? And how did the driving lesson go? :kart:
Thank you :h:

Seems like ti was definitely wasabi as I had the reaction within a few minutes of eating that specific piece. I've had all the other bits and pieces of the tray before...it was just that one piece that was new to me :colondollar:

:hugs: Are you better now?
Original post by Lemur14
Doesn't help my room is so cold but my bed is warm...
It was! Thanks :smile: Hoping I will but unfortunately it's just long boring bits left so gonna be a long 12 days...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no - the perfect excuse! Hope the next 12 days aren't too boring for you though and I'm sure it's all worth it :smile:

How's your day been? :h:

Original post by 8472
Sorry to hear about this :sad: Are we better now? And how did the driving lesson go? :kart:

Tis okay :redface: I'm getting there. It'll be a couple of days before it heals properly but it could have been worse :biggrin:

The driving went well thanks! My instructor surprised me with a new car so that took a bit of getting used to!

What have you been up to today? :holmes:
Original post by nyxnko_
:hugs: Are you better now?

Getting there :hugs: how have you been? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending