The Student Room Group

Consent

If I tell a boy to stop kissing my neck and touching my thigh and he doesn’t because he couldn’t tell if I was joking, does this mean they’re wrong?
Reply 1
You need to make it clear to him. what is the context?
Make it as clear as possible. Say no, move his hand away, physically get up and move away from him.
Depends if you said it in a jokey way. If it was a clear "wtf get off me" then yeah, they're wrong. If you said "hey *giggle* stop it *giggle* cut i out *giggle*" then no, it sounds like a joke
Reply 4
sounds like he's making excuses tbh
he thought you were "joking" sounds odd
he thought you were "not serious" i could understand....
Reply 5
Listen, no matter how softly, or "jokingly" your no sounds to him, no means no. End of. He should have stopped. The fact that there are people on this thread saying yes it's because of how you said the no that counts is disgusting. No means no. This guy needs to learn a thing or two about consent and we all need to mature up and stop being so selfish and disrespectful. You clearly meant for him to stop, since you're questioning it now, and even spoke to him about why he didn't, and he had the audacity to say he couldn't tell if you were joking. Okay son.
Reply 6
Smite him in the chops if without consent... unless you like the attention. Half the public will support you physically.. unless you don't want them to. I think your problem lies in the unless bits.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by That'sGreat
Depends if you said it in a jokey way. If it was a clear "wtf get off me" then yeah, they're wrong. If you said "hey *giggle* stop it *giggle* cut i out *giggle*" then no, it sounds like a joke

Thread complete
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mimi9335
Listen, no matter how softly, or "jokingly" your no sounds to him, no means no. End of. He should have stopped. The fact that there are people on this thread saying yes it's because of how you said the no that counts is disgusting. No means no. This guy needs to learn a thing or two about consent and we all need to mature up and stop being so selfish and disrespectful. You clearly meant for him to stop, since you're questioning it now, and even spoke to him about why he didn't, and he had the audacity to say he couldn't tell if you were joking. Okay son.

Lots of people use 'no' in a jokey, flirtatious or teasing way. The idea that you can have a blanket reaction to a word, despite the context, is not, and never has been, a part of basic human communication.
Reply 9
Original post by That'sGreat
Lots of people use 'no' in a jokey, flirtatious or teasing way. The idea that you can have a blanket reaction to a word, despite the context, is not, and never has been, a part of basic human communication.

Ofcourse not, but it's a good general rule of thumb unless they state otherwise (in sex ofcourse). Also, it's not any word, or any context, it's a no in a sexual context. Which more often than not means stop. People who say no in a flirtatious or teasing way don't go ahead and post about it online questioning why the person didnt stop. The guy should have made sure everything was okay before going ahead. He sounds like he's making excuses, not to mention how dismissive it is to tell someone the reason you didn't stop was because you couldnt tell if they were serious. Like why would anyone say no to me. Come on.
Ofcourse not, but it's a good general rule of thumb unless they state otherwise (in sex ofcourse). Also, it's not any word, or any context, it's a no in a sexual context. Which more often than not means stop. People who say no in a flirtatious or teasing way don't go ahead and post about it online questioning why the person didnt stop. The guy should have made sure everything was okay before going ahead. He sounds like he's making excuses, not to mention how dismissive it is to tell someone the reason you didn't stop was because you couldnt tell if they were serious. Like why would anyone say no to me. Come on.

I'm not saying they meant to say it in such a way, but if you say it in that flirtatious way then you can't expect them to stop. I'm confident that OP said it in a 'no, seriously, stop way' but I was just suggesting that it is entirely possible it was simply a misunderstanding.

The sexual context has context within itself, flirtatious as opposed to reluctant. Those are the contexts I am referring to.

Your point about making sure everything was okay before going ahead. You should clarify that because it sounds like you're suggesting people should ask their partner explicitly if they are willing to have intercourse, as opposed to more subtle ways such as a woman simply saying 'no' and that being the end of it.

Your last two sentences are poor. I was not alluding to the arrogant way you've described of 'how could anyone not want to **** me!", that would not be in relation to the 'flirtatious' way I have suggested and it is a completely different scenario.
Original post by Anonymous
If I tell a boy to stop kissing my neck and touching my thigh and he doesn’t because he couldn’t tell if I was joking, does this mean they’re wrong?

If you are saying no or stop firminly then yeah he is in the wrong.

This is so far from the truth. We use facial expressions, body language, and tone of voice in order to communicate. Looking at a sentence written down could have a completely different meaning in person. Communication is about more than words.
Several times throughout him doing this I said “no can you stop” in a serious manner but he didn’t seem to get the message he kept carrying on and it felt like it was never going to stop, he was being rather firm with me too. He then went on to say “are you serious” and I said “yes I am I want you to stop” and he repeatedly said “I don’t know if you’re joking” but nothing about the way I was acting was in a joking way, he went on to text me later that night to say “sorry if I was a bit pushy I’ve never had someone act like that before so I didn’t kmow how to act”

But that's not true, is it.

If you tone conveys that you are saying it in a non-serious way, from faux self-modesty, and it is entirely clear in the circumstances that it is jocular, no does not mean no.

The point to OP is that you have to own your responsibility in communicating effectively with others.
Original post by Anonymous
Several times throughout him doing this I said “no can you stop” in a serious manner but he didn’t seem to get the message he kept carrying on and it felt like it was never going to stop, he was being rather firm with me too. He then went on to say “are you serious” and I said “yes I am I want you to stop” and he repeatedly said “I don’t know if you’re joking” but nothing about the way I was acting was in a joking way, he went on to text me later that night to say “sorry if I was a bit pushy I’ve never had someone act like that before so I didn’t kmow how to act”

Okay yeah, he should have realised you were serious sooner - it seems like it was fairly clear. I wouldn’t get hung up on it though, it doesn’t seem like a big misjudgment and he did eventually realise you were serious and stopped. I think it’d be unfair to hold it against him. No doubt he’ll be much more aware next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending