The Student Room Group

Can university give evidence for a rejection

If I appeal against a decision to reject my application after interview can I ask for written evidence for the desision
Original post by Yorkshire2412
If I appeal against a decision to reject my application after interview can I ask for written evidence for the desision

On what grounds would you appeal? By all means ask for feedback, but I don't understand what more you expect. You don't have a right to a place, and can't argue with an interviewer's assessment. Move on.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, you can for most unis if you email the admission committee nicely! Hope that helps :smile:
Typically there is no process to appeal the decision. You can request formal feedback but this may not be especially detailed and will likely just highlight what area(s) your application was weaker than others, (quals, personal statement, interview etc.).

If you feel that the university has not followed the consideration process correctly, you could make a formal complaint, but you would have to be reasonably certain that an error had been made. You’ve not said on what grounds you would appeal though?

Finally you could make a freedom of information request for any materials pertinent to the decision that has been made. This should get you a copy of any interview notes or online notes that have been made. Again, not terribly useful unless it proves an error has been made.
I appealed my UCL rejection a few years back after feedback and was offered a place. Doesn't hurt to try!
Original post by Noodlzzz
I appealed my UCL rejection a few years back after feedback and was offered a place. Doesn't hurt to try!

Can I ask what happened - Did they feel there was an error made initially? 😊
Original post by FloralHybrid
Can I ask what happened - Did they feel there was an error made initially? 😊

I asked them to reconsider my GCSE grades in light of extenuating circumstances - even though this was made clear on my reference I asked again!
I asked them to reconsider my GCSE grades in light of extenuating circumtances - even though this was made clear on my reference I asked again!

this is totally different to appealing against a decision after interview. All the university has to say is that other candidates interviwed better for whatever reason. The chances of an appeal against not getting in after interview would be negligable. OP shuld just forget appeal and accept the university found better suited candidates.
I asked them to reconsider my GCSE grades in light of extenuating circumstances - even though this was made clear on my reference I asked again!

It’s nice to know this is an option!! I’ve been worried 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending