The Student Room Group

Am I justified in feeling resentful towards this girl?

I used to be severely overweight, I lost about 100 pounds in the past year and a half and I'm now a personal trainer. I've been at uni for 2,5 years and never had a girl approached me in public, in lectures, etc or asked me anything. Which is fair enough, I know looks are very important, not blaming anyone, just mentioning that I had never received attention.

During the second semester in my first year, I asked a girl who was in one of my seminar groups and who I regularly chatted to and went on walks with (I wanted to start losing weight and she offered to start walking with me) on a date. She was polite when she rejected me, said she wasn't interested so I never mentioned it again and I tried to avoid her for a while to get my head straight.

Fast forward next semester (early Sept.) and her close friend is one of my flatmates as I had to move halls. She's nice and all but wasn't aware I still liked her friend. We started getting to know each other and I told her I was still sad her friend had rejected me that I really like her, and I asked her a bunch of questions about her (mind you I was still fat then).

She grew impatient and told me point-black that she is not for me. I was like ''why, we got on very well, she's sweet'' etc so she showed me one of their fb conversations where her friend said basically that she wouldn't go out with me because I was fat and looked like "Jack Black with bigger tits".

I assume she did it to help me but I had never felt worse in my life. I hadn't cried for a long time but I did that afternoon when I was by myself (not ashamed of it either, I was in deep pain). It still hurts like a ***** as I type this.

The girl I liked has started messaging me again (it was me who avoided her after she rejected me so she's technically not doing something weird or wrong, she said we should be friends when she rejected me) and liking a few of my pics.

I don't know if she likes me or not, she told me she's single when we were talking on fb and wants to go for a walk for old times sake ''now that you've become so fit" (she liked few pics of me in the gym).

I dislike her a lot but I don't wanna say it because really she hasn't done anything wrong by not liking me. I still hate her though and can't seem to be able to put it behind me.

What can I do? is it normal to feel this way? am I overreacting? I don't want to be in contact with her, it makes me feel horrible knowing how she felt about me but I also am not the person to ignore or delete/block people without explanations.
Reply 1
If you don't want to talk to her then fon't. She was quite insulting so you have a good enough reason to not want to associate with her.
Reply 2
Original post by Bio 7
If you don't want to talk to her then fon't. She was quite insulting so you have a good enough reason to not want to associate with her.

I don't want to feel like this though, it harms me as well, we're all at the same uni, study the same course and I am friends with her best friend so I sometimes see her in person. I have thought about telling her the truth so she at least knows why I am not talking to her anymore.
There are people in Africa who have to walk miles to get water every day and your bothered about this?
Reply 4
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
There are people in Africa who have to walk miles to get water every day and your bothered about this?

The existence of this subforum itself shouldnt exist if we were to compare ourselves with the dire conditions people face in developing countries. Not sure if that would ever help anyone stop worrying about what you think are trivial problems. Doesn't help me either.
Reply 5
^yeah first sentence sounds stupid but I hope it makes sense.
Original post by Anonymous
The existence of this subforum itself shouldnt exist if we were to compare ourselves with the dire conditions people face in developing countries. Not sure if that would ever help anyone stop worrying about what you think are trivial problems. Doesn't help me either.

Most of the people in this sub forum are suffering from at least some form of depression, find some direction in your life and then things like this won't bother you, try and start a business, do a hobby or something.

The idle mind is the devils workshop.
Reply 7
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Most of the people in this sub forum are suffering from at least some form of depression, find some direction in your life and then things like this won't bother you, try and start a business, do a hobby or something.

The idle mind is the devils workshop.

Im a student and work part-time as a personal trainer so yeah I'm plenty busy.
Reply 8
I used to be severely overweight, I lost about 100 pounds in the past year and a half and I'm now a personal trainer. I've been at uni for 2,5 years and never had a girl approached me in public, in lectures, etc or asked me anything. Which is fair enough, I know looks are very important, not blaming anyone, just mentioning that I had never received attention.

During the second semester in my first year, I asked a girl who was in one of my seminar groups and who I regularly chatted to and went on walks with (I wanted to start losing weight and she offered to start walking with me) on a date. She was polite when she rejected me, said she wasn't interested so I never mentioned it again and I tried to avoid her for a while to get my head straight.

Fast forward next semester (early Sept.) and her close friend is one of my flatmates as I had to move halls. She's nice and all but wasn't aware I still liked her friend. We started getting to know each other and I told her I was still sad her friend had rejected me that I really like her, and I asked her a bunch of questions about her (mind you I was still fat then).

She grew impatient and told me point-black that she is not for me. I was like ''why, we got on very well, she's sweet'' etc so she showed me one of their fb conversations where her friend said basically that she wouldn't go out with me because I was fat and looked like "Jack Black with bigger tits".

I assume she did it to help me but I had never felt worse in my life. I hadn't cried for a long time but I did that afternoon when I was by myself (not ashamed of it either, I was in deep pain). It still hurts like a ***** as I type this.

The girl I liked has started messaging me again (it was me who avoided her after she rejected me so she's technically not doing something weird or wrong, she said we should be friends when she rejected me) and liking a few of my pics.

I don't know if she likes me or not, she told me she's single when we were talking on fb and wants to go for a walk for old times sake ''now that you've become so fit" (she liked few pics of me in the gym).

I dislike her a lot but I don't wanna say it because really she hasn't done anything wrong by not liking me. I still hate her though and can't seem to be able to put it behind me.

What can I do? is it normal to feel this way? am I overreacting? I don't want to be in contact with her, it makes me feel horrible knowing how she felt about me but I also am not the person to ignore or delete/block people without explanations.

I think that you have every single right to be upset about that because firstly there was no need for her friend to show you that conversation in order to deliver the point and she didn’t need to make such an insensitive comment about you. She may have called you fat but that is something you have worked hard to change and she sounds as if she has an ugly personality which she will have for the rest of her life. I dislike her attitude and how her friend handled this as they are completely insensitive to how comments like this can be emotionally triggering for people. Screw them and **** her as you deserve so much better and will meet someone who will love you regardless of your weight. Be proud of your accomplishment as what you have done is absolutely amazing :smile: x
Im a student and work part-time as a personal trainer so yeah I'm plenty busy.

So it'd be safe to pressume you are currently in good physical condition, ie: what a women would be interested in?
Yo, I get you! I liked this guy when I was overweight but he just wasn't into me.

Lost loads of weight and suddenly all guys changed their attitude, even my crush - it helped me identify the real nice ppl who didn't give a cr*p about my weight.

Personally, I find it annoying cos I'm still the same me. So why was I treated differently then than now? But that's my opinion. Would honestly love to be with crush in heartbeat but their shi**y outlook on ppl cos of how they look is a turn off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending