The Student Room Group

Lincoln vs Liverpool (unconditional offer vs conditional)

I’m really torn between which uni to choose as my firm choice, I’ve received offers from both (for Law) and they’ve both got pros and cons for different reasons, so I don’t know whether to choose the uni where I prefer the city or where I prefer the campus/feel to the uni. Originally I was confident that Liverpool was going to be my firm, and Lincoln my insurance, however I realised Lincoln actually offered me unconditional if I make it my firm, which I get is a tactic from them as they want their course filled up however I was considering going to Lincoln at some point anyway so I don’t know whether I should take it and not have that stress anymore. Liverpool requires me getting ABB, and I think I can get the AB but I’ve only ever got one B in Biology(recently) usually getting Es and Ds. I know this is because I don’t revise enough so If I really knuckle down I reckon I could get a C, I just don’t know whether to risk it when Law is an over subscribed course as it is. I’m worried Lincoln is too small of a city, I live in a small city now and wanted to move somewhere lively like Liverpool, plus it’s a Russell group but tbh on the league tables it’s pretty level with Lincoln, where i preferred the campus etc. I also wondered if Russell group vs non Russell group what affect my career aspects after ?? Just wondered if anyone has been to either uni or can offer some insight because it’s really stressing me out. cheers:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Imih
I’m really torn between which uni to choose as my firm choice, I’ve received offers from both (for Law) and they’ve both got pros and cons for different reasons, so I don’t know whether to choose the uni where I prefer the city or where I prefer the campus/feel to the uni. Originally I was confident that Liverpool was going to be my firm, and Lincoln my insurance, however I realised Lincoln actually offered me unconditional if I make it my firm, which I get is a tactic from them as they want their course filled up however I was considering going to Lincoln at some point anyway so I don’t know whether I should take it and not have that stress anymore. Liverpool requires me getting ABB, and I think I can get the AB but I’ve only ever got one B in Biology(recently) usually getting Es and Ds. I know this is because I don’t revise enough so If I really knuckle down I reckon I could get a C, I just don’t know whether to risk it when Law is an over subscribed course as it is. I’m worried Lincoln is too small of a city, I live in a small city now and wanted to move somewhere lively like Liverpool, plus it’s a Russell group but tbh on the league tables it’s pretty level with Lincoln, where i preferred the campus etc. I also wondered if Russell group vs non Russell group what affect my career aspects after ?? Just wondered if anyone has been to either uni or can offer some insight because it’s really stressing me out. cheers:smile:

If you think you can get ABC then liverpool could be worth a try, if lincoln has offered you an unconditional if you firm them there's a possibility they might accept you if you missed your offer so it could be a safe insurance choice.
It's incredibly competitive to get a training contract and you would have little chance of doing so unless you have very good A levels (many law firms require a minumum of ABB, for example) and went to a well respected University. If you are sure about Law, you would have far more chance of getting a training contract if you studied at Liverpool rather than Lincoln.

My advice would be to put Liverpool first and work as hard as you can at achieving the highest grades possible. If you don't achieve such high grades, maybe go to Lincoln instead, but be aware that you will struggle to become a solicitor (let alone barrister, which is even more competitive) if your grades are any worse than ABC. This being the case, you could always consider asking to switch to a different subject if you do particularly well in that one subject at A level or if you find that you aren't enjoying Law when the course begins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending