The Student Room Group

Why does hot Chocolate always taste sickening when you make it at home

So I’ve tried basically every brand of hot chocolate at home and every one outside the Cadbury’s one tastes sickening to me. It’s awful.

But a local coffee shop that has now changed hands and so no longer sells this hot chocolate used to sell this amazing hot chocolate using galaxy powder (the ordinary one you can buy) although it tasted sickening when i tried making it at home.
Does anyone know why this is. By the way I can’t ask the people at the coffee shop since it’s new owners and they sell a rank hot chocolate which I’ve heard is own brand but they dilute it way too much it tastes like hot water
What do you use to make it at home? Most hot chocolate brands state to mix it with hot water, but coffee shops often use hot milk - it tastes much better like that.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
What do you use to make it at home? Most hot chocolate brands state to mix it with hot water, but coffee shops often use hot milk - it tastes much better like that.

I’ve tried both hot water and hot milk it always tastes sickening and a lot of the time the powder doesn’t dissolve
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I've had hot chocolate made at home that tasted better than the ones from coffee shops. :confused:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

would it maybe be a problem of adding too much powder
Does it matter? Just stfu. It's a hot chocolate - just get a grip
Original post by Studentboy783
So I’ve tried basically every brand of hot chocolate at home and every one outside the Cadbury’s one tastes sickening to me. It’s awful.

But a local coffee shop that has now changed hands and so no longer sells this hot chocolate used to sell this amazing hot chocolate using galaxy powder (the ordinary one you can buy) although it tasted sickening when i tried making it at home.
Does anyone know why this is. By the way I can’t ask the people at the coffee shop since it’s new owners and they sell a rank hot chocolate which I’ve heard is own brand but they dilute it way too much it tastes like hot water

Made hot chocolate in food tech once. Have you tried doing it over the stove/hob and using a normal chocolate bar to melt it? :smile:
You can get some of those recipes online
Reply 7

I’ve tried both hot water and hot milk it always tastes sickening and a lot of the time the powder doesn’t dissolve

would it maybe be a problem of adding too much powder

Mix up a thick paste of powder and a little warm milk first. Then add the rest of the warmed milk stirring thoroughly as you go.

Make sure the milk is warm but not too hot, and certainly not boiled.

The store is probably using steamed milk which adds to the frothiness.

Also try Green and Black's chocolate drink. It's much better than Cadbury's.

Add whiskey or cognac to taste... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it tastes bad, it's probably because you're bad at making it.

Maybe try it with less powder. Also, I don't know what you do already, but start with the powder in the cup, and then slowly add the liquid while you're stirring, rather than the other way round. This can help it dissolve. You may notice that it doesn't quite dissolve properly because the powder can sort of clump up while it's just sitting there, so making sure it's definitely powdery should help, too.
I actually find it the other way round as I find coffee shops tend to make their hot chocolates extremely rich to the point where there is a chalky brown paste at the bottom of my drink every single time, not to mention how over priced they are. I like making it myself by warming milk and then adding a paste I will have previously made out of the hot chocolate powder and water. Also, I tend to prefer white hot chocolate as it is much weaker than normal hot chocolate and so it isn’t as overbearing.

Quick Reply

Latest