The Student Room Group

Hairdresser refusing to give me a refund?

After having a bad experience at the hair salon yesterday, I decided to text the hairdresser and, tell her I didn’t like the style. I brought a picture of a hairstyle and asked her three times if She knows how to do the style which she said yes. She started the hair, I could hardly see but since I showed her the pic several times I was confident. She overcharged me for it but As she said she knew what she is doing, I agreed.

The whole time, I was sitting, she was face time on the phone and, talking to her friends/customers. Also when she was blowdrying my front part of the hair she used so much heat (I told her I don’t do blowdriers an di she’s should use low heat, she didn’t care). It basically burnt me I had to massage my scalp for how much it hurt. She didn’t apologise just said “you should have blow dried at home”.

At the end of the style I look at the mirror and the back and, I told her I don’t like it. The style is not full and is far back. She rolls her eyes and don’t listen. She take in another customer and ignore me. I asked her for a refund and she refused and said she can’t do anything. What can I do?
How did you pay the salon- credit card, debit card or cash?

Get photos of your hair before and after.
Then put everything in writing.
The law to quote is the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
It states that services have to be provided with "care and skill", so state why your haircut isn't up to scratch.
Write or email them as soon as possible- asking them for a restyle, refund or discount.

Here's some links with advice-

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/when-your-hair-do-goes-wrong.html
https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2958253/these-are-your-rights-if-your-haircut-goes-wrong-including-when-you-can-get-compensation/
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/complain-about-a-service/
Reply 2
You paid even though you weren't satisfied and her attitude was piss poor. I would put it down to experience.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
How did you pay the salon- credit card, debit card or cash?

Get photos of your hair before and after.
Then put everything in writing.
The law to quote is the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
It states that services have to be provided with "care and skill", so state why your haircut isn't up to scratch.
Write or email them as soon as possible- asking them for a restyle, refund or discount.

Here's some links with advice-

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/when-your-hair-do-goes-wrong.html
https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2958253/these-are-your-rights-if-your-haircut-goes-wrong-including-when-you-can-get-compensation/
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/complain-about-a-service/

I paid cash. The hairstylist has a hair salon so I don’t think I’ll be able to reach to anyone. I asked her for a refund because this isn’t what I asked for. I even quote the same act but she ignored me. Saying I am just being foolish. I wanted to ask advice to a police or what should do? I wouldn’t mind if it was £20-£30 but I paid nearly £100 to get a cheap hairstyle
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
You paid even though you weren't satisfied and her attitude was piss poor. I would put it down to experience.

I noticed that her social media have bad reviews, I wish I looked it sooner.
Original post by Adezo
I paid cash. The hairstylist has a hair salon so I don’t think I’ll be able to reach to anyone. I asked her for a refund because this isn’t what I asked for. I even quote the same act but she ignored me. Saying I am just being foolish. I wanted to ask advice to a police or what should do? I wouldn’t mind if it was £20-£30 but I paid nearly £100 to get a cheap hairstyle

why would you pay so much? ngl this is such a stupid thing!
Something similar happened to me when I went to a piercing place and they messed up a piercing. They didn't give me a refund either so I understand how frustrating your situation is. The social media of the piercing place was also full of negative reviews. I am not sure what you can do next regarding this particular incident as I have no idea about the legalities involved, but definitely a warning for the future would be to always look at reviews beforehand. Now I always look at reviews before going for any service, whether it be a haircut, nail salon, piercing etc etc.
Reply 7
Honestly there's not much you can do. The police will tell you it's a civil matter, which it is. If you really want to go to legal, then yes, putting everything in writing is the first step, after which if you're not satisfied with the response you could theoretically take them to court for a breach of contract. I would suggest that you'd be unlikely to win and would therefore be further out of pocket, but I have no legal expertise. Honestly, it's not worth the hassle. Getting a haircut is always a bit of a risk which is why it's best to find a hairdresser you trust and stick with them.
Reply 8
Original post by sqrt of 5
why would you pay so much? ngl this is such a stupid thing!

My sister booked a hairstyle for me and paid £10 deposit. When I went to the hairstylist, she said my sister showed her another pic. Which was me with the same hairstyle but back then. The woman said she was going to charge me £20 more to do the hairstyles as the picture. I asked her three times with fear if she know how to do the hairstyle, she’s said yes. She barely talked to me, she was doing her thing talking to some old customer she has. I was frustrated as I had only this day to do my hair and Christmas is close. Shouldn’t have left it the week before Christmas
Reply 9
Original post by Lmaoihategcses
Something similar happened to me when I went to a piercing place and they messed up a piercing. They didn't give me a refund either so I understand how frustrating your situation is. The social media of the piercing place was also full of negative reviews. I am not sure what you can do next regarding this particular incident as I have no idea about the legalities involved, but definitely a warning for the future would be to always look at reviews beforehand. Now I always look at reviews before going for any service, whether it be a haircut, nail salon, piercing etc etc.

I am so sorry to hear that happened you. It’s really frustrating because I told her I don’t like it and I wanted it. She didn’t listen and lied that liked the style. Some people should be banned from doing business
sherlock combs is on his way to help!
well you know what to do...

Spoiler

Reply 12
Original post by goggleyed
well you know what to do...

Spoiler

The way she was lying I wanted to seriously do something like that. But it would be playing against me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending