The Student Room Group

dropping out of college at 17 help

Im 17 and really want to leave college, I have a good paying job and could afford board. But college wants me to stay and they say i cant leave what can I do?? I'm 18 in 6 months which is when the course ends :frown: but I can't stand another day being there and no one understands. I have applied to multiple apprenticeships but haven't got them and in my area apprenticeships are few and far between. I don't really want to do an apprenticeship anyway as the wage is so low i'd rather work full time.
Can someone give me any advice, please!??
It may be hard but the best thing you can do is stick with it. You’ve gotten this far and now it’s a short time till it will end. It is up to you, but that’s my advice coming from someone who wanted to quit as well
Original post by username3318304
Im 17 and really want to leave college, I have a good paying job and could afford board. But college wants me to stay and they say i cant leave what can I do?? I'm 18 in 6 months which is when the course ends :frown: but I can't stand another day being there and no one understands. I have applied to multiple apprenticeships but haven't got them and in my area apprenticeships are few and far between. I don't really want to do an apprenticeship anyway as the wage is so low i'd rather work full time.
Can someone give me any advice, please!??

I went to college, finished first year and then dropped out because I HATED the course and the college. I was in such a bad mindframe and couldnt stand it anymore. Then I had nothing to do, no apprenticeships I liked or could get and all my friends were carrying on college and had no problems. It wasn't until I left and it was too late until I realised `i wanted to go to uni and actually I had dropped out because of a bad blip in my life. I had to restart college and am now in second year but all my friends are at uni already. You've already come so far and I know its hard but I really think you should carry on. You may not want to go to uni but your job will still be there in 6 months and all the apprenticeships will still be there too. I would really encourage you to carry on just to get the qualification, otherwise i really think youll regret it. If your getting good money in your job you could just make sure your doing fun things on your time off. 6 months will fly by I promise. Have you spoken to anyone at college about it? Also what course are you doing :smile: x
Reply 3
Original post by juju1199
I went to college, finished first year and then dropped out because I HATED the course and the college. I was in such a bad mindframe and couldnt stand it anymore. Then I had nothing to do, no apprenticeships I liked or could get and all my friends were carrying on college and had no problems. It wasn't until I left and it was too late until I realised `i wanted to go to uni and actually I had dropped out because of a bad blip in my life. I had to restart college and am now in second year but all my friends are at uni already. You've already come so far and I know its hard but I really think you should carry on. You may not want to go to uni but your job will still be there in 6 months and all the apprenticeships will still be there too. I would really encourage you to carry on just to get the qualification, otherwise i really think youll regret it. If your getting good money in your job you could just make sure your doing fun things on your time off. 6 months will fly by I promise. Have you spoken to anyone at college about it? Also what course are you doing :smile: x

hiya, what happened when you dropped out did u get in trouble by college or anyone? as you have to be in education until your 18 .
Reply 4

hiya, what happened when you dropped out did u get in trouble by college or anyone? as you have to be in education until your 18 .
You have to be in education until you are 18. I’m not sure if your parents would get a fine or something if you don’t attend? But for sure they will stop receiving child benefit for you.
Original post by meh1090

Well for one my parents were not happy at all haha but I also had to show I was actively looking for apprenticeships and Had to go to the job centre and make an account of the gov website for apprenticeships and be actievly looking for and applying for apprenticeships. I know that 6 months can feel a long time but I really think you should carry on as much as possible, your so close to finishing and you have easter and 2 half terms within that 6 months. Have you spoken to your college about how you feel? I'm not sure how your course is run but I do a BTEC and have a lot of coursework, maybe you could ask if you have revision sessions or personal study times if you can spend that time at home instead of having to go in, then you only have to actually go in for tought lessons :smile: xx
Reply 7
Well for one my parents were not happy at all haha but I also had to show I was actively looking for apprenticeships and Had to go to the job centre and make an account of the gov website for apprenticeships and be actievly looking for and applying for apprenticeships. I know that 6 months can feel a long time but I really think you should carry on as much as possible, your so close to finishing and you have easter and 2 half terms within that 6 months. Have you spoken to your college about how you feel? I'm not sure how your course is run but I do a BTEC and have a lot of coursework, maybe you could ask if you have revision sessions or personal study times if you can spend that time at home instead of having to go in, then you only have to actually go in for tought lessons :smile: xx

Hiya, yep I've spoken to college multiple times but they aren't really doing much to help, its being at the college/lessons that the problem, we only get one lesson to do coursework a week and are expected to do work we don't do in the lesson, outside of college which is hard due to work so it wouldn't really make a difference if you get what I mean not going to one lesson , There isn't another course I want to do, I would rather just work I but thanks for the advice :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending