The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Cambridge Offer Holder Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _rebeccaellen_
definitely not!! just gotta get the grades now!

Mine is unconditional (post-qualifications), so the jubilance helps me forget that the wait is gonna feel even longer!
Original post by WebHitchhiker
Has it sunk in for anybody yet? (it hasn't for me)

Definitely hasn't yet for me! I'm still worrying they're going to send me an email saying they made a mistake.
Original post by GeniusOfEarl100
Definitely hasn't yet for me! I'm still worrying they're going to send me an email saying they made a mistake.

Oh my god same! I thought I was the only person silly enough to be terrified of this
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by WebHitchhiker
Has it sunk in for anybody yet? (it hasn't for me)

No, not at all! Probably because there are still alevels left to sit to actually be ‘in’ to Cambridge, so I still feel like I won’t end up going despite the offer not being that harsh
Original post by ijk-19
Offer for Maths at St Catharine's! :smile: My offer includes S,1 grades for STEP though... :s-smilie: Should be doable...

maths at st catharines too :wink:
Original post by Doonesbury
You can still look for things to do and then not do them if you don't end up doing a gap year...

I suspect it will be difficult to get an "official" YINI at your age, but I might be wrong.

One idea for the summer: https://hr-dep.web.cern.ch/content/summer-students

True, but lots of things have deadlines and whatnot, for example I would like to spend the first two months of my potential gap year at home so I can perform in an opera with my current choir, but I need to let them know wether I'll be available before jan 23rd. That summer CERN course actually sounded really cool, but I think it's for uni students?
My offer letter asked me to send the college a copy of my passport. Is this normal? I’m a second generation immigrant with an obviously foreign name if that makes a difference.
Original post by SorcerousSheep
My offer letter asked me to send the college a copy of my passport. Is this normal? I’m a second generation immigrant with an obviously foreign name if that makes a difference.

i had to do this before i even had an interview
Original post by medapp29
i had to do this before i even had an interview

Just seems a bit odd at this stage, surely my student finance application will prove I’m a home student. Can’t think of any other reason they’d need my passport.
Has anyone else still not received their offer conditions? Feel a bit stressed about them because I do 4 A levels.... @Doonesbury is it normal to have not got them yet because everyone else seems like they do :frown:
Just seems a bit odd at this stage, surely my student finance application will prove I’m a home student. Can’t think of any other reason they’d need my passport.

maybe they haven't heard from student finance yet. the passport is evidence of a whole lot more than being a home student
Original post by Annamies
True, but lots of things have deadlines and whatnot, for example I would like to spend the first two months of my potential gap year at home so I can perform in an opera with my current choir, but I need to let them know wether I'll be available before jan 23rd. That summer CERN course actually sounded really cool, but I think it's for uni students?

Tell your choir about your situation - I'm sure they will be understanding,

And yes sorry that CERN one is for current students. There was a shorter program for high schoolers but it looks like it's not running in 2019 :frown:
http://scool.web.cern.ch/content/scool-lab-summer-camp
Original post by klrlanguages
Has anyone else still not received their offer conditions? Feel a bit stressed about them because I do 4 A levels.... @Doonesbury is it normal to have not got them yet because everyone else seems like they do :frown:

Has Track not updated? Are you EU/International?
Original post by Doonesbury
Has Track not updated? Are you EU/International?

No updates on track and I'm a home student so not sure why i havent got anything...
My offer letter asked me to send the college a copy of my passport. Is this normal?.

Different colleges do things differently. It's perfectly normal.

I’m a second generation immigrant with an obviously foreign name if that makes a difference.

Nope.
Original post by klrlanguages
No updates on track and I'm a home student so not sure why i havent got anything...

Have you checked if others at your college have received theirs? If they have, contact your college.
Original post by SoWatermelon
Just sent you a fb link :smile:

Can I have it too? I've got an offer for law at Clare :smile:
Reply 417
Original post by x_tara_niamh_x
Congrats on your offer!! Fellow choral scholarship hopeful here :smile: if you’re worried about the issue of workload + choir at Clare (because their choir is quite full-on), you can always be a choral volunteer at a different college with a less busy choir, so you’d still get the choral experience but just not with the pressure of holding a choral scholarship :smile:

I see— that’s a good point. I will just apply and see what happens. Would you know whether there is any other requirements for being a choral scholar apart from attending rehearsals and singing services/choral even songs?
Original post by Impastie
I have an offer for engineering at Queens, but on my letter I received today it says its a 3 year course (not 4) and a BA degree? Maybe that's normal

Also anyone else eng at Queens pm me? 😊

My engineering offers the same (Newnham tho) and it says that basically if you do well enough in the 3 yrs you can progress to do MEng so its basically the same they just only guarantee 3yrs
Original post by Yamxx
I see— that’s a good point. I will just apply and see what happens. Would you know whether there is any other requirements for being a choral scholar apart from attending rehearsals and singing services/choral even songs?

From what I’ve gathered from friends who are already in Oxbridge choirs, the only real difference between scholars and volunteers is that choral scholars are generally expected to take a more in-depth role in the choir (ie spending longer learning music, being an ambassador for your choir, taking an active role in the running of the choir etc.), whereas volunteers have a more relaxed time because there’s not the pressure of needing to retain a scholarship, especially if you’re volunteering in a choir which isn’t at your college! :smile: but it’s definitely worth applying for a scholarship, you can always see what happens and decide from there! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending