The Student Room Group

Manufacturers jobs are leaving the Uk

Land rovers and ford have cut jobs and moved operations elsewhere. Philips is closing a factory. Will there be any manufacturers jobs in the U.K. after brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Membership of the EU has closed more factories.
Because of the rise of India and China
Original post by karl pilkington
Because of the rise of India and China

And Turkey in Ford's case, they are also closing down a whole load of their European operations.
Some British companies might keep producing in the UK to keep 'British heritage and quality' or something, cause that can be quite important to some brands but mostly not. We're pretty much becoming a completely tertiary economy as the cost of production in Asia is so much cheaper.
Original post by hendyrix
Some British companies might keep producing in the UK to keep 'British heritage and quality' or something, cause that can be quite important to some brands but mostly not. We're pretty much becoming a completely tertiary economy as the cost of production in Asia is so much cheaper.

And is this due to our vote to leave the EU or because to the fact that all the large corporations that the EU so dearly love will make more money, and that is all they care about, I mean my heart weeps when I hear that the likes of those shysters Ryanair have had to issue a profit warning because they may only earn a profit of £1b to £1.1b this year.
In reality this is all our EU overlords care about hence their love of allowing cheap labour to flood otherwise strong markets.
Reply 6
Businesses will always go where it it is cheaper for them to maximise their profits and keep shareholders happy, whilst also keeping the compromise of keeping customers happy. Nothing new, its called capitalism.
Reply 7
they've been leaving for 70 years. cheaper to make stuff in third world countries. being inside or outside the EU won't help anything, production costs will still be cheaper in a turd world country
Original post by ColinDent
I mean my heart weeps when I hear that the likes of those shysters Ryanair have had to issue a profit warning because they may only earn a profit of £1b to £1.1b this year.

Your heart should bleed. Ryanair employs 13,000 people many of whom work in the UK and pay UK taxes that paid for your education and your ongoing healthcare. Your pension fund is probably invested in Ryanair so as they succeed, so does your retirement fund. And then there is the fact that Ryanair are enablers. Without Ryanair, certain business deals and transactions just wouldn't happen which further adds to the success of our economy. And if you want a cheap holiday - well, if you can cope with the mediocre service, it is there for the taking.

I find comments like yours just so short sighted. You just don't see the bigger picture at all do you? We are all part of the machine. If you remove the likes of Ryanair, most suffer in one way or another. Those calling for the downfall of the EU are effectively stabbing themselves. Whether you like it or not, large parts of the UK economy depend on the EU and you depend on many of those parts of the economy. If you remove the EU, you strip out the vast majority of our economy and with it the wealth and lifestyles that we have all grown accustomed to. If the EU loses - you lose.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Your heart should bleed. Ryanair employs 13,000 people many of whom work in the UK and pay UK taxes that paid for your education and your ongoing healthcare. Your pension fund is probably invested in Ryanair so as they succeed, so does your retirement fund. And then there is the fact that Ryanair are enablers. Without Ryanair, certain business deals and transactions just wouldn't happen which further adds to the success of our economy. And if you want a cheap holiday - well, if you can cope with the mediocre service, it is there for the taking.

I find comments like yours just so short sighted. You just don't see the bigger picture at all do you? We are all part of the machine. If you remove the likes of Ryanair, most suffer in one way or another. Those calling for the downfall of the EU are effectively stabbing themselves. Whether you like it or not, large parts of the UK economy depend on the EU and you depend on many of those parts of the economy. If you remove the EU, you strip out the vast majority of our economy and with it the wealth and lifestyles that we have all grown accustomed to. If the EU loses - you lose.

They are thieving shysters so no I'm not too concerned that they may only make £1b this year because that figure is what the head thief Michael O'Leary gets his bonus from, the other taxes are all still being paid.
(edited 5 years ago)
Brexit doesn't cause manufacturing jobs to go overseas. Cheap labour in developing countries causes that
Original post by ColinDent
They are thieving shysters so no I'm not too concerned that they may only make £1b this year because that figure is what the head thief Michael O'Leary gets his bonus from, the other taxes are all still being paid.

How are they thieving? Could you please provide some evidence? Of course, if you feel they overcharge, being in a free market you can readily choose to fly with other carriers. I don't touch Ryanair for that reason but I don't begrudge the fact that clearly many like what they have to offer.
Original post by ByEeek
How are they thieving? Could you please provide some evidence? Of course, if you feel they overcharge, being in a free market you can readily choose to fly with other carriers. I don't touch Ryanair for that reason but I don't begrudge the fact that clearly many like what they have to offer.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/05/ryanair-faces-legal-action-over-refusal-to-refund-cancelled-flights

Don't feel I need any more evidence.
Havent they always been leaving the UK.
Land rover is down to China mostly.
Ford need to shrink.
Phillips is Dutch so it makes sense to leave the UK and protect facilities within the EU, unless the UK offers a very attractive place to do business.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Membership of the EU has closed more factories.

Based on what> Whats your evidence based directly on EU membership being responsible?
Original post by Miss Maddie
Brexit doesn't cause manufacturing jobs to go overseas. Cheap labour in developing countries causes that

Not completely true.
It can make the UK be more likely to suffer job cuts.
Receive less investment.
Have other jobs relocated within the EU.

Other important factors though such as technology and cheaper markets. They are all factors.
Original post by 999tigger
Not completely true.
It can make the UK be more likely to suffer job cuts.
Receive less investment.
Have other jobs relocated within the EU.

Other important factors though such as technology and cheaper markets. They are all factors.

Quick question for you though, everyone goes on about how our car plants will be affected by trade barriers, what about all the things that European car manufacturers rely on that are made here?
https://youtu.be/NdbtmLxO9EU
Original post by TommyDH
they've been leaving for 70 years. cheaper to make stuff in third world countries. being inside or outside the EU won't help anything, production costs will still be cheaper in a turd world country

This.

-Edited out some mistakes so I look more intelligent-

Oh well.

Did you know that both Thatcher & Merkel were chemists before their moves into politics.

I'm hoping biochemistry will get me at least like a cabinet position. Although I'm assuming after this post the left will not vote me into Gov. : (
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dannyboy2015
This.

Thatcher had the right idea closing down mines. She also said we shouldn't join the euro... then we crashed out after the next pm had us join the euro.

Oh well.

Did you know that both Thatcher & Merkel were chemists before their moves into politics.

I'm hoping biochemistry will get me at least like a cabinet position. Although I'm assuming after this post the left will not vote me into Gov. : (

Yep 100%

People don't like to hear it, but things from minimum wage to health and safety to over-regulation of just about everything means manufacturing in a first world country is an absolute nightmare, it's not worth the red tape and it's certainly not worth the loss of profit.

Manufacturing leaving has nothing to do with leaving the EU, since manufacturing has been leaving for the past 70 years. We barely even manufacture anything anymore anyway, so anything that leaves now will leave a negligible mark on the economy at very worst.

Where we are making the majority of our money now is the financial sector and services.

It'd be nice to have a booming industry again like we had in the 19th century, but unless you're willing to cut up all red tape, do away with 90% of all regulations and scrap minimum wage then it's not going to happen. The EU being a bureaucratic nightmare only exacerbates things, it won't make anything better.

Wish May stayed in biochemistry tbh. Worse home secretary in history and the worst prime minister.
Original post by TommyDH
Yep 100%

People don't like to hear it, but things from minimum wage to health and safety to over-regulation of just about everything means manufacturing in a first world country is an absolute nightmare, it's not worth the red tape and it's certainly not worth the loss of profit.

Manufacturing leaving has nothing to do with leaving the EU, since manufacturing has been leaving for the past 70 years. We barely even manufacture anything anymore anyway, so anything that leaves now will leave a negligible mark on the economy at very worst.

Where we are making the majority of our money now is the financial sector and services.

It'd be nice to have a booming industry again like we had in the 19th century, but unless you're willing to cut up all red tape, do away with 90% of all regulations and scrap minimum wage then it's not going to happen. The EU being a bureaucratic nightmare only exacerbates things, it won't make anything better.

Wish May stayed in biochemistry tbh. Worse home secretary in history and the worst prime minister.

TREsemme is our hero. : )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending