The Student Room Group

I am terrible at fine art but want to do graphic design

Hi,
so i currently study GCSE graphic design and there is a large smounts if fine art so i`m only scraping a high 6 due to me focusing more on photography an collage which i am alright at but my lack of drawing and painting skills has brought me down . I would love to do A-level Graphic design but i am scared due to the fine art skills. any advice. I would love to become a graphic designer but i am scared due to the amount of fine art involved, is this just rumours?
Best wishes,
Callym
@PQ and @CoolCavy might have some insight.

My understanding is that fundamentally graphic design is a design discipline, which is quite distinct from "fine" art in many ways. It's (usually?) commercially oriented and uses an iterative design process to respond to a brief given by a client (or tutor, in school/uni). Fine art is much more self-generated and directed work which isn't usually created explicitly as a commercial enterprise, and approaches to creating works can vary a lot. Although both involve creative work, the methodologies (and media) by and large aren't the same.

So, not being a "fine art" person doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to pursue graphic design further.
I want a girlfriend but I'm rubbish at talking to girls. what's your point. if you persevere at your goals you will achieve them
Reply 3
Thanks,
see with my course are teacher has focused alot more on illustration work based on fine art principles such as pencil and water colour so that was one of the reasons i was asking. i am crap at illustrations so as long as i can get away from focusing on that and do my photography and collage etc. i should be fine :smile:
Thanks Guys once again
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
So what type of principles did you focus on e.g. photography
if its a skill you want then you can develop it, you have plenty of time to practise before a levels!
I wouldnt worry, fine art and graphic design are very different, as long as you have a somewhat artsy brain (it would be hard to do design with 0 visual or spacialness) you'll be fine dont worry
What a levels should I do with graphics? If I wanna be a graphic designer

Quick Reply

Latest