The Student Room Group

Advice about future

Hi everyone

I'm currently studying Sustainable Development with Biology, but I would like to have a career in urban planning.

So a few questions:
Would my degree be relevant enough?
How competitive are masters courses?
Do you need work experience?

Thanks
Hi,

I hope that you’re well. Your degree sounds interesting with the combination of two subjects!

I’m currently in my final year at Heriot-Watt University where I study their undergraduate Urban Planning & Property Development degree programme.

In regards to your first question, if you want to pursue a career in planning as a fully qualified ‘planner’ you tend to need a qualification which is accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institue (RTPI). This can be at undergraduate or masters degree level. Your undergraduate degree sounds like it would be a great gateway into a planning masters degree. If your undergraduate degree is not accredited, you may find it difficult to get into the profession. When you start your career in planning, after two years working in the industry typically, you have an ‘Assessment of Professional Competence’. If you pass this, you become a ‘Chartered Planner’ and you are effectively chartered by the RTPI. This is why you need to have the accreditation from your university education.

I can’t say I have any experience in applying for post graduate education, but dependant on what university you want to apply to, they should list the course requirements on their website. You don’t tend to need planning work experience to get on to a degree programme, but it massively helps for whenever you graduate.

Hope this helps slightly and good luck for your future career path!

Best wishes,
Rachel
Reply 2
Thanks very much for this information! Do you have a job lined up for when you graduate?
Hello,

Yes, I do actually.

As part of my undergraduate degree I went on placement for a year in a Local Authority Planning department, so I think that experience has helped me massively.

I’ve also done a summer placement with a commercial Real Estate firm, and whilst I was there, there was a range of people from different educational backgrounds (for example, Human Geography).

A lot of the summer placements will be opening soon, so I’d recommend applying for a few to get a taster of life as a professional Planner. Even emailing you’re own Local Authority is a good place to start, as they could maybe offer you experience for a week or so.

Best wishes,
Rachel
(edited 5 years ago)
OP Anon, where are you currently studying? Could you possibly DM me as I've applied for Biology and Sustainable Development this year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending