The Student Room Group

Year 12?

Hi all, hope you’re all well and looking forward to the summer! I’ve attended a few induction days so far and am pretty overwhelmed by the opportunities and challenges sixth form will bring. I’m excited at the prospect of having the freedom to pursue subjects I enjoy but also feel daunted and terrified of the workload, the abundance of things I’d need to do and just uncertainty about the future.

Can anyone who has recently been in my position (about to enter year 12) offer any advice, tips or recommendations? Anything would help. Thanks in advance!
stay ahead and make sure you write your flashcards before year 13 starts. also revise every week in year 12, even if its a little bit.
Reply 2
Practice questions and essay plans will be great. Exam questions give you an idea of where you are going wrong. Do not use them to find what sort of grade you are on. Use them to see your weak areas and to understand the mark scheme. They are especially important for science and maths.
I would also make flashcards from day 1, so you have a bank made up.
I use an ipad, so can access all my notes at the same time, check your school allows them if you want to use it, (make sure you back your notes up if you use an ipad). Also, in general, be very organised and diligent. But, you should be fine.
Original post by subbhy
Hi all, hope you’re all well and looking forward to the summer! I’ve attended a few induction days so far and am pretty overwhelmed by the opportunities and challenges sixth form will bring. I’m excited at the prospect of having the freedom to pursue subjects I enjoy but also feel daunted and terrified of the workload, the abundance of things I’d need to do and just uncertainty about the future.

Can anyone who has recently been in my position (about to enter year 12) offer any advice, tips or recommendations? Anything would help. Thanks in advance!

I’d say just try not to worry. The workload is more than at GCSE but that doesn’t mean you won’t manage - everyone goes through the jump after all and teachers are aware of it so they’ll probably ease you into it. And as for actual advice, make your revision resources as you go along so you’ve got that all made ready by the time you do your exams, and if you don’t understand something then don’t be embarrassed to ask for help. I feel like everyone is uncertain and scared about the future. I’ve just finished year 13 and I have no idea what my future is gonna look like, so don’t worry about that yet!
Reply 4
Original post by alevelstudent090
stay ahead and make sure you write your flashcards before year 13 starts. also revise every week in year 12, even if its a little bit.

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by CatLover1
Practice questions and essay plans will be great. Exam questions give you an idea of where you are going wrong. Do not use them to find what sort of grade you are on. Use them to see your weak areas and to understand the mark scheme. They are especially important for science and maths.
I would also make flashcards from day 1, so you have a bank made up.
I use an ipad, so can access all my notes at the same time, check your school allows them if you want to use it, (make sure you back your notes up if you use an ipad). Also, in general, be very organised and diligent. But, you should be fine.

Great, this is helpful! My iPad has gotten me through GCSEs so I hope it does the same for A-level. Thanks for this vote of confidence.
Reply 6
Original post by Teribblestudent
I’d say just try not to worry. The workload is more than at GCSE but that doesn’t mean you won’t manage - everyone goes through the jump after all and teachers are aware of it so they’ll probably ease you into it. And as for actual advice, make your revision resources as you go along so you’ve got that all made ready by the time you do your exams, and if you don’t understand something then don’t be embarrassed to ask for help. I feel like everyone is uncertain and scared about the future. I’ve just finished year 13 and I have no idea what my future is gonna look like, so don’t worry about that yet!

Thanks for these tips and advice; hope your exams went well and you get great results! Ah uncertainty is part of the fun and journey, hopefully you get exposure to different fields at uni!

Are there any websites or resources you recommend for STEM subjects in particular?
Original post by subbhy
Thanks for these tips and advice; hope your exams went well and you get great results! Ah uncertainty is part of the fun and journey, hopefully you get exposure to different fields at uni!

Are there any websites or resources you recommend for STEM subjects in particular?

Thanks, I used physics and maths tutor for past paper questions alongside quizlet to make flashcards

Quick Reply

Latest